How to use HP Officejet 6310 wirelessly? [SOLVED]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Start CUPS and open the Administration tab. Click on Find New Printers. Is your printer detected? If so, let CUPS pick the correct protocol.

[Edit] At this point, I don't know for sure which driver packages you have in play and how compatible they are with your CUPS. I would recommend that you start a clean copy of Puppy and install the three packages I listed above. Then see if you can get your printer detected.

shariebeth

#17 Post by shariebeth »

Yeah, I can't say I am confident I haven't totally confused the system, let alone myself. Fortunately i haven't done too much yet that i would be upset to lose with a fresh install, other than the "fun" getting my headset to work and switching back and forth between speakers and headset!

I will do a fresh install and try again very carefully and update here then.

shariebeth

#18 Post by shariebeth »

Ok fresh puppy install.
--Configured for wireless successfully.
--Installed only the 3 things you said:
1. CUPS 1.3.11
2. Foomatic-rip patched script pet
3. hpijs-3.9.4-dynppds

And I get this error message: "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

Right-click on the folder /tmp and make sure that it is writable for all users.

shariebeth

#20 Post by shariebeth »

rcrsn51 wrote:Right-click on the folder /tmp and make sure that it is writable for all users.
It wasn't, only for owner. I changed it, now should I reinstall everything?

rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

No. Just run a print test again.

What kind of Puppy install method are you using?

shariebeth

#22 Post by shariebeth »

rcrsn51 wrote:No. Just run a print test again.

Same error message.
What kind of Puppy install method are you using?
"Open it with default application (petget)"

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. This should be a working procedure. You will already have some of these steps in place.

1. Install CUPS 1.3.11 from here. Just select the three default items 1,2,5.

2. RIght-click on the folder /tmp and check its properties. Make sure that it is writable for all users. (The CUPS installer appears to change this setting and it may vary with different Puppy installation methods.)

3. Locate the file /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper and open it in a text editor. Change the top line to:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl -U
ie. Just add -U to the end of the line.

4. Repeat Step 3 with the file /usr/bin/foomatic-rip

5. Go here and get the hpijs-3.9.12.pet. To login to this site, use the name "puppy" and password "linux". This site is often busy and it may take several tries.

6. Locate the file /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip. Repeat Step 3 on it.

7. Launch your web browser and go to localhost:631

8. Open the Administration tab and select FInd New Printers. Install your printer and try a test page.

9. The HPIJS package is rather large. Once you have successfully installed your printer, you can reduce its size by deleting the folder /usr/share/ppd/HP

Optional. The Gutenprint package contains drivers for many other printers. Get a recent version here. Do NOT use the Puppy Printer Wizard with this package - just open the CUPS interface directly at localhost:631
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 31 Jan 2010, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

shariebeth

#24 Post by shariebeth »

Ok, better maybe...but nothing happened. It said it successfully setup, I got no errors, but nothing printed from the test page either.
Description: unkown
Printer Driver: HP Officejet 6300 Series hpijs, 3.9.4
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: pdf-writer:/dev/null

I also did check and it is set up for sharing, although I could not find anything specifying sharing with linux which somebody else in this forum suggested.

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

Printer Driver: HP Officejet 6300 Series hpijs, 3.9.4
This package, which I originally recommended, doesn't work (my apologies). You need to uninstall it and get the 3.9.12 package from the posting above yours. Step 6 is the crucial one for you. Delete your current printer and install it again.

I have tested this procedure several ways and it looks good.

shariebeth

#26 Post by shariebeth »

pdf_writer "/ioerror in --.outputpage--"

Printer Driver: HP Officejet 6300 Series hpijs, 3.9.12.29
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.

(yes i added the -U step 6)

rcrsn51

#27 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because you have a networked printer, this should look something like:

Device URI: socket://192.168.2.11:9100  
Is the printer not being auto-detected? If not, you will need to do it manually through Add Printer.

shariebeth

#28 Post by shariebeth »

"recoverable: Network host '74.245.244.200' is busy; will retry in 20 seconds..."

Printer Driver: HP Officejet 6300 Series hpijs, 3.9.12.29
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: socket://74.245.244.200:9100

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

Can you ping the printer?

ping 74.245.244.200
[Edit] According to the HP specs, this printer gets wireless connectivity through an optional "HP bt450 Bluetooth Wireless Printer and PC Adapter". Is that what you are using?

[Edit] Or is the printer connected via an ethernet cable into a router/switch? If so, should it not have an internal IP address like 192.168.x.y?
I saw in another thread mention of people needing to set their windows settings to allow unix/linux on the main pc the printer is attached to
Or is the printer physically connected to a PC? In which case, we should be using a different protocol.

shariebeth

#30 Post by shariebeth »

rcrsn51 wrote:Or is the printer physically connected to a PC? In which case, we should be using a different protocol.
This one. The current setup is printer connected via cable to my desktop pc running windows xp. My other laptop running windows xp somehow automagically setup and worked when i ran the wireless network configuration gadget windows has.

I never gave huge thought to my IP address before, but when I do ipconfig it gives me numbers nothing like I thought my IP was, so I have been plugging those in too, with no luck.

rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because you are trying to access a Windows shared printer, you will use the smb:// protocol instead of socket://. You don't need the IP address.

Before starting, go to your Windows machine and locate its computer name and the name of the shared printer.

FInd the computer name under Control Panel > System > Computer Name > Full Computer Name

The printer name is the one-word identifier assigned by Windows. Look for it under the Sharing tab of the printer's properties.

Important! CUPS cannot deal with a printer name if it contains spaces. You have two choices. Rename the printer in the Windows Sharing dialog. Or replace the spaces with the code %20 when you enter the name in CUPS.

Locate the file /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf and change its properties to all-readable.

Start CUPS, delete your old printer and start adding a new one.

At the bottom of the Device list, select "Windows Printer via Samba".

Enter the device URI as: smb://COMPUTERNAME/PRINTERNAME

Select your printer manufacturer and model as usual.

shariebeth

#32 Post by shariebeth »

Bingo! It worked!
Thank you thank you thank you for your patience and sticking with me through this!
(Bet you are dreading the next thing i decide to try :P )
(and yes i will edit my first post to solved)

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.