Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 04:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Motorola SB5100 SURFboard USB Cable Modem works
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
edr4d

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2006, 09:53    Post_subject:  Motorola SB5100 SURFboard USB Cable Modem works  

Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem is running fine in Puppy 1.0.7.

I'm using the USB to connect.

Note: I had to install the CDCEther module (located in modules-2.4.29-complete.tar.gz) to get it working.

I placed CDCEther.o in /root and then: insmod /root/CDCEther.o

Run the Ethernet/network Wizard and follow the directions and that's it.

Also added insmod /root/CDCEther.o to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load the module at boot.

So far it's working fine.

Just for reference: it's running on a 400MHz Intel Celeron, 64 MB RAM, 8 GIG Hard drive with no ethernet card.
Max Raign

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan 2006, 05:47    Post_subject: Cable Modem  

Actually it is the ethernet card that matters. i feel the network connection using the same modem and the ethernet card in my laptop compaq evo is giving me a better speed. This modem works for 5, 6 and 7 versions. I have checked that myself for all type of installations and runs.
edr4d

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan 2006, 08:48    Post_subject: Re: Cable Modem  

Max Raign wrote:
Actually it is the ethernet card that matters. i feel the network connection using the same modem and the ethernet card in my laptop compaq evo is giving me a better speed. This modem works for 5, 6 and 7 versions. I have checked that myself for all type of installations and runs.

If I had an ethernet card I would have used it instead of USB just because of reading some posts reporting a faster speed with the ethernet card. But you know what, I've gotten getting 500 KB/sec down with it. Haven't done any in-depth testing but the USB connection is definitely fast enough for everything I'm doing with it.

The first several weeks I had the internet connection set up here were filled with major intermittent connectivity problems. About 4 techs from the cable company came out and left scratching their heads. In the meantime loudly and persistently complaining to customer service. Then one day a tech stopped by and swapped out the modem for this one and waa-laa, problem solved.

Also got to dig the standby switch on top. whenever I'm away from the PC I hit the button and it disconnects from the Internet.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum