Puppy Linux Virtual Machine Files

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
DanYHKim

Thread on:VMware Player 2.5.0 with Puppy and 2.6.21.7 kernel

#46 Post by DanYHKim »

In case anyone comes to this thread looking for info on using Puppy as host for VMware guest machines, I'd recommend going to:

WMware VMplayer 2.5.0

WolfPup has an excellent .sfs for VMware Player 2.5.0 with modules compiled for kernel 2.6.21.7. If you are using the new Puppy 4.1.2 (k2.6.25.16), you need to have the devx_412.sfs and <kernel_source>.sfs loaded so it can compile appropriate modules.

[ignorance alert! I think this is what the process is called. It's at least somewhat close.]

I have installed Puppy 4.1.2 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 as "frugal" install. After having it load the development tools and the VMware Player 2.5.0 .sfs file, ran VMware player. It then rebuilt the modules and ran just fine. Loaded a Windows XP virtual machine that resides in a separate NTFS partition.

** Problems occur when loading a VM that lives in an NTFS partition using a Linux host. **

There are some modifications to VMware Player's "conf" file, or to the guest machine's .vmx file before it will work. This is described in an entry to the thread, though.

ilanrab

Puppy boot sequence changed?

#47 Post by ilanrab »

Running Puppy 520 on a 16GB flash drive that has 2 ext3 partitions. One parittion for the system (2GB) and one for the save files (in a directory /puppy520). Running on a Dell Latitude D400 laptop, with 1GB RAM.

From the day that 520 was release, until last night, booting the flash drive always brought up the comforting puppy logo and the "boot:" command prompt.
Last night I installed, from the SFSget area of the PPM , the VirtualBox application. I used the SFS file, of course. Everything installed fine and ran fine. I was able to run Windows-XP in the VirtualBox environment.
The VirtualBox HardDisks are also located on that 2nd flash drive partition, in a separate folder (not the /puppy520/ folder).

Next time I booted the flash drive I noticed that the puppy logo and "boot:" command prompt were being skipped. Everything else is booting fine. Just that boot sequence is a bit different.

Then I copied the puppy save file from this strange flash drive to another 16GB flash drive's 2nd partition and booted that flash drive, using the save file I had just copied over. Same issue came up (the logo and command prompt gone).
Has anyone experienced this type of a behavior? Obviously the save file, that has the virtualbox installed on it, is having an effect on the boot sequence (for some reason).

Any ideas what is going on?

ir
[b]ir[/b]

fenex2004

#48 Post by fenex2004 »

Hey ilanrab,

I'm trying to get XP running on 5.2 as well and am haveing a hard time finding anything that works.

VMware - d/l the tar from the VM site, installed but would not run - says im missing GCC 4.3.4. Found that, d.l it, it would not un-tar, just kept hang in "reading file" mode. Should I try d/l the 4.0 version and use the 4.0.4 as an upgrade? any ideas?

Just got the VirtualBox d/l from here.
So far it seems to be working well. OOOpps spoke too soon - system locked up and al I have is a black screen...anyone know why? gonna reboot and try again.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

UPDATE: Kept searching and found 'TheAsterik's' post on the virtualbox. Downloaded it, installed it, and after fussing with the personal save file a few times :x got it up and running (gawd M$ loads so slow) Got my program installed and running - it's slow due to the amount of ram - VB needs quite a few MB and I gots very little. :oops:

Anywho, I got that problem solved - time to move to another :wink:

ilanrab

#49 Post by ilanrab »

fenex2004 wrote:Hey ilanrab,

UPDATE: Kept searching and found 'TheAsterik's' post on the virtualbox. Downloaded it, installed it, and after fussing with the personal save file a few times :x got it up and running (gawd M$ loads so slow) Got my program installed and running - it's slow due to the amount of ram - VB needs quite a few M....
The same version works for me, as well.
All of these virtual machines devour both memory and disk space. That's the tradeoff. Functionality is increased at the expense of drive space, memory, and speed.
Cheers,
ir
[b]ir[/b]

Frank Cox

does Puppy slow down?

#50 Post by Frank Cox »

I am running on a Dell 530 with the 2.4 gig dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram . Will this make puppy slow or just XP?
Will Xp be painfully slow? Should I configure it with Nlite and remove all the garbage from Xp i will never use anyway?. They make a tiny version of Xp that is on Hiren's boot disk, I am going to find out what all it allows. All I need it for is a few programs live Quicken and IE for certain test that will not work on anything else .

TIA

TIA

sebus

#51 Post by sebus »

Instead XP use POS2009 Ready, way better!

rufwoof

Re: does Puppy slow down?

#52 Post by rufwoof »

Frank Cox wrote:I am running on a Dell 530 with the 2.4 gig dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram . Will this make puppy slow or just XP?
Will Xp be painfully slow? Should I configure it with Nlite and remove all the garbage from Xp i will never use anyway?. They make a tiny version of Xp that is on Hiren's boot disk, I am going to find out what all it allows. All I need it for is a few programs live Quicken and IE for certain test that will not work on anything else .
Single Core AMD64 3500 with 1.5GB. Slacko 5.5 Frugal with Oracle VM running XP SP3 new install and MS Office 2003. 750MB allocated to the XP guest and Slacko runs fine, as does XP for office type apps. For browsing/more graphic intensive apps (watching youtubes etc) the XP response is marginally sluggish (usable, but not instantaneous).

When I formed the XP install I turned compression on, which kept the VM file size down to around 2.8GB with XP, Office and a few other favourites (fully patched up to the most latest)

I've set the VM shared folder to a common 'documents' directory, so slacko on bootable DVD, XP in a VM that's image is also stored on the DVD (pristine version), and a hard disk for all data/music/etc (and frugal savefile, SFS's etc).

Slacko on one desktop, XP on the other, instant switching between the two. Or just full screen XP and move the mouse to the bottom of the screen and select the minimize pop up option to reveal the Slacko desktop behind.

If you 'save state' at each closure of XP/VM rather than powering off, then the next start is much quicker (re-enters exactly where it last ended in around 5 to 10 seconds).