Puppy Stardust 008

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Bruce_n_Duane

Suggest another audio player and browser

#16 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Duane has found that Audacious plays audio files louder and cleaner than Pmusic. He can hardly hear audio files using Pmusic on mp3 files on his notebook. Even setting mixer at 100% didn't help.

Suggest looking at Audacious

Found Audacious 1.5.1 in Lighthouse Pup 442d.

We both prefer Firefox over SeaMonkey.
We use web mail providers so we don't need an email server.
SeaMonkey does not support the extensions and addins available to Firefox. It also does not seem as reliable. I know I can add Firefox as I did this for Duane's Lighthouse Pup.

Thanks. Great work on the Stardust series!!!

bigpup

Puppy Package Manager will not download

#17 Post by bigpup »

Trying to use Puppy Package Manager to install stuff.

Select item to install.
Select URL to download from.
Get error message failed to download item.
Selected other download URL sites- get same error message.

yes I do have access to the internet :roll:

James C

#18 Post by James C »

I mostly just download individual pets with my browser, but I'm having the same problem with the package manager.Read the above post and decided to test it......

Just for information purposes, on this test computer I have 9 Puppy installs...Stardust 008,Quirky 006, Dpup 477, Upup 457, Puppy 431 "small iso", 214x RC3, Puppy 460, Spup 451and Dpup 484.This problem is occuring only on my Stardust install.

zigbert

#19 Post by zigbert »

ppm-bug is related to the mentioned rxvt issue

run in terminal

Code: Select all

cp -f /usr/bin/rxvt_white /usr/bin/rxvt
Trio
Will look at cpu-scaling to night.....

Sigmund

James C

#20 Post by James C »

That took care of the problem. :)

Thanks for the quick solution........

Kirby

#21 Post by Kirby »

My Goodness Stardust 008 already? Don't you ever sleep?

I downloaded 002 and loved it. Saw 004, then 005, and was waiting for 006 and now 008! LOL I keep wanting to upgrade but every time I blink a newer version comes out. Should I just take the plunge and jump on the next one that comes by and go from there?

The PCC is just amazing and Stardust just seems to be getting better by the day.

I am using Puppy 4.31 now because It's the only one that is ext 4 compatible. I love the fact that folks are now starting to base Puplets on it.

I am just afraid that by the time I am done downloading 008, that 009 or 010 will be ready! :lol: I am not complaining by any means of course. To be honest I am really impressed and amazed by all the incredible work that is being done on it at break neck speeds.

It's just Amazing!
Kirby
"When you come to your cross roads, step off the road and go down the path of your own making".
~Bohemian proverb~

*edit* "When you're lost in the woods from straying from the road, Always be sure to carry a Flashlight!"
~Improved Bohemian Proverb~

DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

Get the same endless loop trying to run petmaker. Only way to stop it was a full shutdown..............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#23 Post by zigbert »

trio
I know the answer.

When you made a pack of cpu_freq, you have included the executable (the one in $PATH) in $HOME/my-applications/bin. - It is NOT wrong, - just uncommon. When I decided to use $HOME/my-applications/bin for Stardust starter-scripts, I was not aware of that you, Mick and Rob have used it for your executables. Maybe I am the one to blame here. What happens is that $HOME/my-applications/bin/cpu_freq points to cpu_freq (in $PATH) which is the same $HOME/my-applications/bin/cpu_freq. - The loop is endless. I should probably move the Stardust starter-scripts out of $PATH.

Sigmund

zigbert

#24 Post by zigbert »

Kirby wrote:I am just afraid that by the time I am done downloading 008, that 009 or 010 will be ready!
Please wait for 009, since 008 has showed weakness.

As always, You don't have to wait THAT long. :)

Sigmund

DaveS

#25 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:trio
I know the answer.

When you made a pack of cpu_freq, you have included the executable (the one in $PATH) in $HOME/my-applications/bin. - It is NOT wrong, - just uncommon. When I decided to use $HOME/my-applications/bin for Stardust starter-scripts, I was not aware of that you, Mick and Rob have used it for your executables. Maybe I am the one to blame here. What happens is that $HOME/my-applications/bin/cpu_freq points to cpu_freq (in $PATH) which is the same $HOME/my-applications/bin/cpu_freq. - The loop is endless. I should probably move the Stardust starter-scripts out of $PATH.

Sigmund
I think this is the same with PetMaker, and explains the endless loop
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

trio

#26 Post by trio »

Sigmund,

?? , I don't think did put something in $HOME/my-applications/bin/ ??

But, it's great to know the answer...

zigbert

#27 Post by zigbert »

Trio, Mick and Rob
You're right Trio. You didn't put anything in $HOME/my-applcations. Sorry for blaming you. The problem was; you haven't defined ANY executable in the $PATH. - that lead to that the autogenerated script in $HOME/my-applcations became its executable. I have fixed this by adding a symlink in /usr/local/bin/ to cpu_freq, jwmthememaker, Startmount and Psync.

If you don't provide a executable inside $PATH ('echo $PATH' shows its value), your scripts are not reachable from terminal (else you write full path). And, Stardust will fail to start the script.

Sigmund

prehistoric

$HOME bugs, video

#28 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

That explains why I didn't see the problems reported by trio and DaveS. With the rxvt fix, most things looked pretty good.

My own feeling is that frequency-scaling executables, at least, belong in /usr/local/sbin. (Careful prehistoric, you know what happens when you try coding.) :roll:

After some experiments with video, I've decided that the ATI video drivers really don't want me to run at 85 Hz refresh rates. (This machine has ATI Radeon 1250 integrated graphics.) Strangely, the less specific drivers used in Boxpup 431 and Lighthouse Pup 4.4.3 have no problem allowing this, and performance looks good. When Barry uploads the experimental 4.3.2 with the GTK fixed, xorg 7.5, (and the elantech touchpad driver,) I'm going to test that.

bigpup

What to test in Stardust 008

#29 Post by bigpup »

Zigbert,

What programs would you like for us to chew on, before you make the next Puppy Stardust? Anything we can break to help you make a better Stardust? If I can turn it on I can break it. Any new program you need tested?

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

Here is what happens when I try to run PetMaker

Same package is just fine in generic 4.3. Tried symlinking, no go........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#31 Post by DaveS »

What causes .stardust/tmp/iconlist to update to reflect a new app being installed from package manager etc please?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#32 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:What causes .stardust/tmp/iconlist to update to reflect a new app being installed from package manager etc please?
.stardust/tmp/iconlist is updated when ppm (package manager) runs /usr/sbin/fixmenus.

Sigmund

hokal

#33 Post by hokal »

I now got it on an USB stick. Have big problems to get it on my hard disk from CD or USB stick. Don't get the hd icons on my desktop, apart from the boot partition, but that is not marked orange as boot partition but green as "normal mounted".

Partition manager always gives me this "e2label" warning. see attached screen shot. With Barry's normal 4.3.1 I dont get this problem. Any idea ??

greetings
Attachments
e2lable.jpg
(92.78 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

Max Headroom

Help, I'm Trying 2 Download This iso...

#34 Post by Max Headroom »

Help, I'm Trying 2 Download This iso, But I get "File Not Found on this Server!" from Y'r Link, Any Mirrors Please? 8)

pemasu

#35 Post by pemasu »

You can download the next version. Only the latest seems to be downloadable.
And Stardust is in heavy upgrade cycle anyway :D

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/zigbert/pup_stardust-009.iso