Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 20:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Multi-session DVD incl SFS + all personal settings
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
T_B

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb 2010, 07:01    Post subject:  Multi-session DVD incl SFS + all personal settings
Subject description: How?

Hi,

Is it possible to create a DVD multi-session DVD for Puppy 431 that includes all personal settings (Dougals Pupremaster?) + some SFS files?
If so, what is the best (easiest) way to do that?

Thanks
T_B
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb 2010, 09:18    Post subject:  

Creating a multisession DVD to which you can save settings and installed programs, is as simple as burning the Puppy iso of your choice to a DVD with Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, booting the newly-burned DVD and changing settings etc, then shutting down, choosing to save to the CD.

I've not added any sfs files to a multisession DVD, that I can remember. I think you have to add them to the root level of the DVD. There may be several ways to do that. It might work to add the sfs file to the iso before you burn the iso to the DVD. Or you could use growisofs to add the sfs file to the multisession DVD after you've burned the DVD with burniso2cd. I can tell you more about how to use growisofs to do that, if you want to try it.

Burniso2cd will burn an iso to a DVD+RW without having to blank the DVD first. You will have to blank a DVD-RW before Burniso2cd (or any other burning program, AFAIK) can use it again.
T_B

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb 2010, 13:49    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
Creating a multisession DVD to which you can save settings and installed programs, is as simple as burning the Puppy iso of your choice to a DVD with Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, booting the newly-burned DVD and changing settings etc, then shutting down, choosing to save to the CD.

I've not added any sfs files to a multisession DVD, that I can remember. I think you have to add them to the root level of the DVD. There may be several ways to do that. It might work to add the sfs file to the iso before you burn the iso to the DVD. Or you could use growisofs to add the sfs file to the multisession DVD after you've burned the DVD with burniso2cd. I can tell you more about how to use growisofs to do that, if you want to try it.

Burniso2cd will burn an iso to a DVD+RW without having to blank the DVD first. You will have to blank a DVD-RW before Burniso2cd (or any other burning program, AFAIK) can use it again.

Sorry I think I didn't explained it clear enough. I know how to create a multi-session DVD, but I like to create one based on a frugal install of Lighthouse pup I am already using and include some SFS files .
I have also tried isomaster once to add the SFS files to the root, burned the DVD with Burniso2cd and the DVD failed to start at all.
Might have been a corrupt DVD or iso though, so I can try that again. I will check the forum for some more info about growisofs, never tried it before.
T_B

PostPosted: Thu 11 Feb 2010, 16:48    Post subject:  

@Flash

I just tried it again.

Created a quirky 006 multi session DVD, started it, saved one session to the dvd after setting up my network.
Restarted, downloaded the devx.sfs file for quirky to /tmp and then used command growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -D /tmp/quirky_devx_006.sfs

After adding the devx file to the DVD rebooted quirky and tried to add the sfs to the bootmanager. Unfortunately the bootmanager was not able to find it.
The sfs file is added to the root of the dvd.

Should I add the sfs file to another directory?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to: