Puppy Stardust 009

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
technosaurus

#16 Post by technosaurus »

I cut enough out to add fbreader and a slightly cutdow dia as well as a bunch of updates and fixes. Here is the sfs:
http://puppy-development.googlecode.com ... up-431.sfs
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#17 Post by technosaurus »

I used optipng to cutdown the size of the pngs - the color templates are actually smaller (in bytes) when they are larger (in dimensions)
Attachments
optipng.gz
sorry - used gzip so you may have to set permissions
(31.26 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#18 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
Stardust is looking great, we need to make it the default for the CE.
When the Stardust desktop environment is getting more complete, I will split it from the rest of the iso. It is just so much easier for me to develop on a hardcoded system. Testing on different Puppys would probably given me a bug-report-overload, and I wouldn't have any time to actually develop.
I found a couple of general things in the installer script that may be slowing it down
Please hack the developer script. I am VERY interesting in help. I am not at all a good programmer, so things could for sure be improved. At the moment the installer script is too slow...... Be aware that the 'building menu structure' could be done in my pre-installer-script (the stardust generator script that I use to build the iso). I could just reuse some code from /usr/sbin/fixmenus to build all starter-scripts in /usr/share/stardust/bin/, and to detect the correct icon (see $HOME/.stardust/tmp/iconlist)
I'm trying to figure out what files actually changed between 008 and 009 regarding Stardust desktop - not .xinitrc or stardust_installer
The most importing changes is that all scripts in $HOME/my-applications/bin are moved to /usr/share/stardust/bin. This interferes with the whole stardust core system. fixmenus is the ONLY script used to build these starter scripts. Ptray, Pmenu, icon2desk and fixmenus_menuitems uses these starter-scripts to generate correct menu/tray/desktop items.
I have gone through all of 008 and cut ~2MB without removing anything - so I also added FBReader and dia
How did you remove 2Mb, - that is VERY interesting. What is FBReader, and where can I get it and Dia?
While I'm thinking about it, I have often wondered why we don't just have a "current theme" directory which is just a symlink to whichever folder contains the chosen theme's icons
2 reasons
- Themes doesn't have to be complete. The Pixmaps directory may contain global images (as 'add widget', startbutton or whatever)
- During the setting of theme, it is generated a 24x24 pixel set of the icontheme, which is used in the original menu. This was in fact not necessary, since jwm scales icons just fine. But now, I have made the icon_switcher more flexible. It will convert icons to 24x24 if not existing. That means a icon-theme could contain a unique 24x24 icon-set (as in Stardust), or the icon-switcher will provide a generated 24x24-set.
Here is a cheaper way to do webcam shots
Yes, a Pcam would have been a great app. I can't give it time, since Stardust requires my focus, but hopefully, one of our gui-guys grabs this chance.
And finally desktop capture (requires ffmpeg compiled with x11grab)
Have you compiled it ? Trio already maintains Pscreenshot, and if he has time and motivation, I am sure he is willing to give Pcapture a hand.
I used optipng to cutdown the size of the pngs
Where is optipng, and how do we use it?

Thanks for all your feedback
Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Mouse-over not working on screen snapshot

#19 Post by zigbert »

drongo wrote:There's a drop-down tool-bar (correct name?) at the top of the screen. In Xvesa the mouseover tooltip is missing from the camera icon. It should say Pscreenshot, presumably?
Fixed

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: speed?

#20 Post by zigbert »

prehistoric wrote:Can you put your finger on any processing task which might profitably be rewritten in C? (I might even be able to do that. C has been around since neolithic computing using minicomputers and flint chips.)
I am not the guru to tell how things should have been done. - I am simply not good enough to tell. But it is obvious that the icon-generation in $HOME/.stardust/stardust_installer is the feature to blame. If you want to make some testing/rewriting/deleting..., please hack this script, and tell what you find :)

Sigmund

technosaurus

#21 Post by technosaurus »

the 2MB was from tedious work - lots of <1kb fixes - pull the sfs I uploaded if you want (it may have a bad Xvesa though - fails when laptop is closed)

optipng -o7 *.png will optimize all the png files in a dir
you can also use it to create pngs from other formats

Here is the code I used to get it down to <5 seconds. I symlinked a bunch of stuff that doesn't get manipulated (at least in this script) eliminated/combined some redundant operations and moved the "install" to be installed - maybe some other stardust stuff breaks with the symlinks??? good so far

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#this scipt
#--> generates icon-themes
#--> installs pwidgets
#--> generates analog clock-skins
#--> generate color-icons based on the color-templates 
if [ ! -f /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/harddrive48.png ]; then
find $HOME/.stardust/ -name "*color-template-clock*" > /tmp/colorlist &
ls -1 /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/*24.png > /tmp/iconlist &
pngtopnm /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/harddrive48.png | pnmcolormap all > /tmp/palette.pnm &
pngtopnm -alpha /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Flat-gray.png > /tmp/clock.pbm &
#curtain
echo 0 > /tmp/splash
echo 'Preparing installation...' > /tmp/splash-text

echo 'style "curtain"
{
	font_name="DejaVu bold 32"
	bg[NORMAL]		= "#000000"
	fg[NORMAL]		= "#D88526"
}
class "*" style "curtain"

style "infotext"
{
	font_name		= "DejaVu 14"
	fg[NORMAL]		= "#777777"
}
widget "*stardust" style "infotext"
class "GtkText*" style "infotext"' > /tmp/gtkrc

export GTK2_RC_FILES=/tmp/gtkrc:/root/.gtkrc-2.0

S='
<window decorated="false">
<vbox homogeneous="true" width-request="790" height-request="560">
 <vbox>
  <text><label>" "</label></text>
  <pixmap><input file>/usr/share/doc/puppylogo96.png</input></pixmap>
 </vbox>
 <vbox>
  <text><label>Installing</label></text>
  <text><label>S T A R D U S T</label></text>
  <text><label>desktop environment</label></text>
 </vbox>
 <hbox homogeneous="true">
  <hbox>
##   <pixmap icon_size="6"><input file stock="gtk-dialog-info"></input></pixmap>
   <text name="stardust" use-markup="true"><label>"You will find some <b><i>important</i></b> <span color='"'green'"'> Getting started information </span>in the help menu."</label></text>
  </hbox>
 </hbox>
 <progressbar>
  <input>while [ "$M" != "100" ]; do M=`cat /tmp/splash`; echo $M; N=`cat /tmp/splash-text`; echo $N; usleep 100000; done</input>
  <action type="exit">Ready</action>
 </progressbar>
</vbox>
</window>'
export S="`echo "$S" | sed -e 's/##.*//'`"  #I use double hash (##) for comments. Colors are defined as #FF0000
gtkdialog3 -p S --center &

echo 'Installing gtk-themes...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 5 > /tmp/splash
######     G T K   T H E M E S     ######
#then -u switch only copies not existing gray icons
#used symlinks

######     I C O N S    ######

#build a new icon-themes
#first make a grayscaled palette
#moved to beginning
#presized the color templates

echo 'Generating icons: Flat-themes...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 10 > /tmp/splash
######     F L A T   I C O N S     ######

#moved ls up
while read I; do
	FILE=`basename $I`
	pngtopnm -alpha $I > /tmp/icon.pbm #find alpha-layer
	#melt grayscaled image with transparent color template
	#run 3 times to make more opaqe
# GREEN
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template-clock_green.png /tmp/green.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/green.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-green/$FILE &
# BLUE
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template-clock_blue.png /tmp/blue.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/blue.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/$FILE &
# ORANGE - 3 time for opacity
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template_orange.png /tmp/orange.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	blendpics /tmp/orange.png $HOME/.stardust/color-template_orange.png /tmp/orange.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	blendpics /tmp/orange.png $HOME/.stardust/color-template_orange.png /tmp/orange.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/orange.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/$FILE &
# GRAY -- must be last !!!!!! (it's the template)
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template-clock_gray.png /tmp/gray.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/gray.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE &
done < /tmp/iconlist

######      I C O N S     ######

ls -1 /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/*48.png > /tmp/iconlist
#start button as link

echo 'Generating icons: Stardust...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 40 > /tmp/splash
while read I; do
	FILE=`basename $I`
	if [ "`echo $FILE | grep -E "^card|^drive|floppy|optical|save48|usbdrv"`" ]; then continue; fi #linked the listed ones
	pngtopnm -alpha $I > /tmp/icon.pbm
	#gray
	pngtopnm $I | pnmremap -map=/tmp/palette.pnm | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE 
	#green, blue: reuse gray file and melt in green
	blendpics /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE $HOME/.stardust/color-template_green.png  /tmp/green.png 0 0 0 0 0 0 &
	blendpics /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png  /tmp/blue.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm -gamma 1  /tmp/green.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-green/$FILE &
	pngtopnm -gamma 1  /tmp/blue.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/$FILE &
done < /tmp/iconlist

# define default theme
cp -f /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/* /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
fixmenus &
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin &

######      W I D G E T S     ######
#already there

#pwidgets includes new fonts
#copied over
######  ANALOG CLOCKS  ######
#generate 3D clocks
echo 'Generating clock-skins: Stardust...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 80 > /tmp/splash

while read I; do
	FILE="`basename $I`"
	COLOR="`echo $FILE | cut -d_ -f2`"
	pngtopnm $I | pnmtopng -alpha=$HOME/.stardust/clock-template-alpha.pbm > /tmp/clock-layer.png
	#melt template with transparent color template
	blendpics /tmp/clock-layer.png /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/JQ8lite.png /tmp/$FILE 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/$FILE | pnmtopng -alpha=$HOME/.stardust/clock-template-alpha.pbm > "/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Stardust-$COLOR" &
	#flat
	pngtopnm $I | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/clock.pbm > "/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Flat-$COLOR"
done < /tmp/colorlist

ln -s /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Stardust-orange.png $HOME/.pwidgets/misc/Clock_analog.png
fixwidgets &

echo 'Generating color-profile buttons...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 90 > /tmp/splash
######      T R A Y   I C O N S      ######

ln -s $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/blue48.png &
ln -s $HOME/.stardust/color-template_green.png /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/green48.png &
ln -s $HOME/.stardust/color-template_gray.png /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/gray48.png &
ln -s $HOME/.stardust/color-template_orange.png /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/orange48.png &

echo 100 > /tmp/splash

jwm -restart

fi

exit

trio

#22 Post by trio »

Sigmund,

I am sorry, but still abug for cpu_freq

You point a symlink (/usr/local/bin/cpu_freq) to /usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq_1 but it is not the first start GUI. First start gui is /usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq -start. What you need to do is put a script named /usr/local/bin/cpu_freq which will execute /usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq -start &.

That will take care of it

trio

#23 Post by trio »

questions:

1. Why start menu item for sfsconverter is missing? It should be in utility group, did you do it o purpose?
2. Why one of the item in favourites is /root/my-applications/bin?

8-bit

#24 Post by 8-bit »

Two things.
(1) Would it be possible for you to replace AbiWord 2.6 with AbiWord 2.8.1 in the next beta/alpha? For the reproducable error using AbiWord 2.6, just click on Format - Create and Modify Styles.
AbiWord 2.6 will crash.

(2) While I was doing a search for something on the web, I stumbled across openplatformeducation.org. I noticed a pup431.sfs shown as a community edition.
I downloaded it and found it was Stardust.
Is Stardust to be the community edition?
Is the SFS file I downloaded the latest?

Curiosity has the better of me so I had to ask.
Also, in that SFS, the menubar at the top of the screen fails to open the terminal when clicking on the terminal icon.
RXVT starts ok from the lower menu selection.

zigbert

#25 Post by zigbert »

tecnosaurus
Thank you for the modified installer script. I couldn't adopt it completely, but your ideas and improvements in general are added. - You've made it much faster.

I did not symlink the icon-themes. - In case someone delete Stardust-orange, other themes will loose some icons.

optipng worked well on most images, but made the color-profiles opaque, so they are still 1x1 pixel, and have to be resized before use.

It now looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
#this scipt
#--> generates icon-themes
#--> installs pwidgets
#--> generates analog clock-skins
#--> generate color-icons based on the color-templates 
if [ -f $HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgetsrc ]; then

mkdir $HOME/.stardust/tmp 2> /dev/null
#curtain
echo 0 > /tmp/splash
echo 'Preparing installation...' > /tmp/splash-text

echo 'style "curtain"
{
	font_name="DejaVu bold 32"
	bg[NORMAL]		= "#000000"
	fg[NORMAL]		= "#D88526"
}
class "*" style "curtain"

style "infotext"
{
	font_name		= "DejaVu 14"
	fg[NORMAL]		= "#777777"
}
widget "*stardust" style "infotext"
class "GtkText*" style "infotext"' > /tmp/gtkrc

export GTK2_RC_FILES=/tmp/gtkrc:/root/.gtkrc-2.0

S='
<window decorated="false">
<vbox homogeneous="true" width-request="790" height-request="560">
 <vbox>
  <pixmap><input file>/usr/share/doc/puppylogo96.png</input></pixmap>
 </vbox>
 <vbox>
  <text><label>Installing</label></text>
  <text><label>S T A R D U S T</label></text>
  <text><label>desktop environment</label></text>
 </vbox>
 <hbox homogeneous="true">
  <hbox>
##   <pixmap icon_size="6"><input file stock="gtk-dialog-info"></input></pixmap>
   <text name="stardust" use-markup="true"><label>"You will find some <b><i>important</i></b> <span color='"'green'"'> Getting started information </span>in the help menu."</label></text>
  </hbox>
 </hbox>
 <progressbar>
  <input>while [ "$M" != "100" ]; do M=`cat /tmp/splash`; echo $M; N=`cat /tmp/splash-text`; echo $N; usleep 100000; done</input>
  <action type="exit">Ready</action>
 </progressbar>
</vbox>
</window>'
export S="`echo "$S" | sed -e 's/##.*//'`"  #I use double hash (##) for comments. Colors are defined as #FF0000
gtkdialog3 -p S --center &

echo 'Installing gtk-themes...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 5 > /tmp/splash
######     G T K   T H E M E S     ######
#then -u switch only copies not existing gray icons
cp -u /usr/share/themes/Stardust-orange/gtk-2.0/* /usr/share/themes/Stardust-gray/gtk-2.0/
cp -u /usr/share/themes/Stardust-orange/gtk-2.0/* /usr/share/themes/Stardust-blue/gtk-2.0/
cp -u /usr/share/themes/Stardust-orange/gtk-2.0/* /usr/share/themes/Stardust-green/gtk-2.0/

######     I C O N S    ######

#build a new icon-themes
mkdir /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-green
mkdir /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue

#first make a grayscaled palette
pngtopnm /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/harddrive48.png | pnmcolormap all > /tmp/palette.pnm 
#resize color-templates to match at least fill analog clock (120x120)
find $HOME/.stardust/ -name "*color-template_*" > /tmp/colorlist
while read I; do
	resizepng $I $I 54 48 90 & #big enough for both start-button and desktop icons
done < /tmp/colorlist

echo 'Generating icons: Flat-themes...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 10 > /tmp/splash
######     F L A T   I C O N S     ######

ls -1 /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/*24.png > /tmp/iconlist
while read I; do
	FILE=`basename $I`
	#melt grayscaled image with transparent color template
# GREEN
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template-clock_green.png /tmp/tmp.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/tmp.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-green/$FILE &
# BLUE
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template-clock_blue.png /tmp/tmp.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/tmp.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/$FILE &
# ORANGE
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template_orange.png /tmp/tmp.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/tmp.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/$FILE &
# GRAY -- must be last !!!!!! (it's the template)
	blendpics $I $HOME/.stardust/color-template-clock_gray.png /tmp/tmp.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/tmp.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE &
done < /tmp/iconlist

# define default theme
cp -f /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/* /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
#update starter-scripts and icon-detection
fixmenus &

######      I C O N S     ######

ls -1 /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/*48.png > /tmp/iconlist
ls -1 /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-orange/start-button.png >> /tmp/iconlist
echo 'Generating icons: Stardust...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 30 > /tmp/splash
while read I; do
	FILE=`basename $I`
	if [ "`echo $FILE | grep -E "^card|^drive|floppy|optical|save48|usbdrv"`" ]; then
		cp -f $I /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/ &
		cp -f $I /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-green/ &
		cp -f $I /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/ &
		continue
	fi
	#gray
	pngtopnm $I | pnmremap -map=/tmp/palette.pnm | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE
	#green - reuse gray
	blendpics /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE $HOME/.stardust/color-template_green.png /tmp/green.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm -gamma 1 /tmp/green.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-green/$FILE &
	#BLUE alt_1 - straight
	blendpics /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png /tmp/blue.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm -gamma 1 /tmp/blue.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/$FILE &

#BLUE alt_2 - glow
#	if [ "`echo $FILE | grep -F 'start-button'`" ]; then
#		resizepng $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png 54 18 90
#		#melt grayscaled image with transparent color template
#		blendpics /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png /tmp/tmp.png 0 0 0 0 0 0
#	else
#		resizepng $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png 48 48 90
#		#make grayscaled image smaller
#		resizepng /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-gray/$FILE /tmp/icon-gray-small.png 44 44 90
#		#melt grayscaled image with transparent color template
#		blendpics $HOME/.stardust/color-template_blue.png /tmp/icon-gray-small.png /tmp/tmp.png 0 0 0 0 2 2
#	fi
#	pngtopnm /tmp/tmp.png | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Stardust-blue/$FILE &
done < /tmp/iconlist

######      W I D G E T S     ######
echo 'Installing desktop widget system...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 60 > /tmp/splash

#install pwidgets
mkdir -p $HOME/.pwidgets/tmp
mkdir $HOME/.pwidgets/widgets
mkdir $HOME/.pwidgets/profiles
mkdir $HOME/.pwidgets/misc
cp -r /usr/local/pwidgets/install/.pwidgets/* $HOME/.pwidgets/
cp -r /usr/local/pwidgets/install/Startup/0_show_widgets $HOME/Startup/
cp -r /usr/local/pwidgets/install/.xonclockrc $HOME
#pwidgets includes new fonts
rm /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/fonts.dir
rm /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/fonts.scale
mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF
mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF 
######  ANALOG CLOCKS  ######
#generate 3D clocks
echo 'Generating analog clock-skins: Stardust...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 70 > /tmp/splash
find $HOME/.stardust/ -name "*color-template-clock*" > /tmp/colorlist
while read I; do
	FILE="`basename $I`"
	COLOR="`echo $FILE | cut -d_ -f2`"
	resizepng $I $I 140 140 90
	pngtopnm $I | pnmtopng -alpha=$HOME/.stardust/clock-template-alpha.pbm > /tmp/clock-layer.png
	#melt template with transparent color template
	blendpics /tmp/clock-layer.png /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/JQ8lite.png /tmp/$FILE 0 0 0 0 0 0
	pngtopnm /tmp/$FILE | pnmtopng -alpha=$HOME/.stardust/clock-template-alpha.pbm > "/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Stardust-$COLOR" &
	#flat
	pngtopnm $I | pnmtopng -alpha=/tmp/icon.pbm > "/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Flat-$COLOR"
done < /tmp/colorlist
#define analog clock
cp /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins/Stardust-orange.png $HOME/.pwidgets/misc/Clock_analog.png

echo 'Generating color-profile buttons...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 80 > /tmp/splash
#make 48 pixel icons
find $HOME/.stardust/ -name "*color-template_*" > /tmp/colorlist
while read I; do
	resizepng $I $I 48 48 90
	blendpics $I $I /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/blue48.png 0 0 0 0 0 0 &
done < /tmp/colorlist

echo 'Refreshing desktop...' > /tmp/splash-text
echo 90 > /tmp/splash
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
echo 100 > /tmp/splash
fixwidgets
jwm -restart

fi

exit

prehistoric

cpu frequency scaling working on AMD 64 x 2 5000+

#26 Post by prehistoric »

trio,

I'm now using the K8 powernow module for frequency scaling on my AMD box, after making the changes you described above. Hardware info now shows CPU clocks at 1 GHz and temperatures have dropped to essentially the temperature of the case. If there has been any change in performance, I can't tell.

zigbert

#27 Post by zigbert »

trio
- cpu_freq fixed - thank you
- Favorites default items fixed - thank you again :)
- sfsconvert is not in menu by default. Clicking on a older sfs in rox will give a notice about sfsconvert. And, it is possible to get it back into the menu via Pmenu. I have taken MANY apps out of the default menu, but I don't think their feature is hidden. Puppy has become complex after all these years. I felt the time was right to do some cleaning. My todo-list tells me to move cpu_freq out of the menu (because I see it as a geek thing :D ). But I can't just remove it. - It has to be visible in a logical way. Hope you don't feel offended......

Sigmund

zigbert

#28 Post by zigbert »

8-bit wrote:Would it be possible for you to replace AbiWord 2.6 with AbiWord 2.8.1 in the next beta/alpha?
If someone can provide a fully tested Abiword pack, I am not against 2.8.1. But I am a bit reticent because of all the trouble Barry had during his build of Puppy 4.3.1. He tried various versions, and ended up with what he menat was the most stable.
8-bit wrote:Is Stardust to be the community edition?
Not that I know

Sigmund

technosaurus

#29 Post by technosaurus »

I was just a bit over the 100MB google code limit to get the iso up - let me know what you think.

I am trying to incorporate as much of stardust as possible... slowly cutting it down and tweaking it ... I had abiword-2.8.1 in it but took it out because none of the browser based plugins worked... apparently it is looking for BROWSER environment variable whereas puppy uses DEFAULTBROWSER ... I added BROWSER to the startup script, but haven't recompiled abiword yet - that should take off 1-2MB because it can have builtin plugins and we can dump libgnomeprint and libgnomeprintui - I need to recheck the dependencies but I think I can build in wv and wmf as well
... I added jrb's tcz/sfs linker (ChoicePup), updated most core apps, added FBReader and dia and rerwin's various hardware updates, most of Barry's updates from woof, added xz support, optimized most of the png icons, symlinked a bunch of duplicate files. For the low resource guys, I am working toward having all of the orange icons installed by default and giving the option to install bling and turn on/off system services (can't seem to find that app again though)... even run with only jwm as the desktop environment (see /root/.jwmrc-tray-lite and /root/.xinitrc-lite)

The only iffy changes are updated glib (will be needed for webkit browsers, so I wanted to test it) and I upx'd some of the 500kb+ binaries trying to fit in google code's 100mb limit

Jim1911

#30 Post by Jim1911 »

technosaurus wrote:I was just a bit over the 100MB google code limit to get the iso up - let me know what you think.
Great, looking forward to tested the CE, I assume that you'll be starting a new thread on it soon.
Cheers,
Jim :D

prehistoric

testing new stardust install script

#31 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

What else do I need to test that modified installer script you posted above? I tried booting on that 550 MHz machine with pfix=ram,nox and copying a modified, executable script from a USB flash drive to /root/.stardust. No workee.

(And, just where did you move things? Was the release post designed to mislead competition?) :wink:

zigbert

#32 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus wrote:I was just a bit over the 100MB google code limit to get the iso up - let me know what you think.
This reading made me very happy :D :D :D

Sorry to say, I haven't tested it. Provide it in your own thread as Puppy 4.4 alpha, and the complete Puppy community goes nuts :D

Best wishes
Sigmund

zigbert

Re: testing new stardust install script

#33 Post by zigbert »

prehistoric wrote:Zigbert,

What else do I need to test that modified installer script you posted above? I tried booting on that 550 MHz machine with pfix=ram,nox and copying a modified, executable script from a USB flash drive to /root/.stardust. No workee.

(And, just where did you move things? Was the release post designed to mislead competition?) :wink:
Open source is the opposite of competition. If we don't wanna share, Puppy halts. - Let's share :)

The executables are moved from $HOME/my-applications/bin to /usr/share/stardust/bin. - That's all.

My uploaded script contains 1 bug to mislead competition. line 7 is:

if [ -f $HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgetsrc ]; then 
should be

if [ ! -f $HOME/.pwidgets/pwidgetsrc ]; then 
I remove the '!' to test it on a installed system. This is not as good as you intended to do, but I can test it partly.

Sigmund

Kirby

#34 Post by Kirby »

Hiyas Zigbert
I just installed it. Very Very Nice! I am looking forward to it becoming my "Daily Driver". :D All the work that has gone into it is very Impressive! It seems stable enough to me so far, but will post any bugs I find.

I did a frugal install on it's own partition. So is it easy to upgrade that way?

Thanks again for such a Fine Pup!

Kirby
"When you come to your cross roads, step off the road and go down the path of your own making".
~Bohemian proverb~

*edit* "When you're lost in the woods from straying from the road, Always be sure to carry a Flashlight!"
~Improved Bohemian Proverb~

prehistoric

new install script test

#35 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

I had removed that conditional to run my test.

The results were mixed. There were several places where the progress bar on that 550 MHz machine seemed to jump ahead, but generating icon sets and clock skins was still painfully slow. Watching a console window while it is running tells me it is doing many things I don't understand.

The script appears to have hung after printing "Generating /root/.jwmrc...", probably because of my non-standard method of running it. The right tray has appeared, without the analog clock face, but the utility tray and the changed menus have yet to appear.

Overall, this is encouraging, because some simple changes made significant improvements. There is, as expected, still more to be done.

Added: your "bug" reminds me of a change sheet I once saw for a manual for a device on a PC.
Erratum: change line 7 from:
Be sure to connect device and power it up before installing software.
to:
Be sure not to connect device and power it up before installing software.