Old subroutine threaded programming languages like Forth etc

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

Old subroutine threaded programming languages like Forth etc

#1 Post by nooby »

Could it be 1979 or was it 1989? Sadly I don't remember. I went to the local club for Hobby users of Unix. Internet had only been going some year?

And they had CD from a big University in USA with lot of Ms Dos utilities.

I fell in love with Forth but it was too difficult for me to grasp.

But I got curious on one guy who made a forth like compiler that could create itself using only some 50 words.

Not sure if I make a correct description. You borrow a compiler and then write down 50 words and that create in threaded subroutines a new compiler that is a clone of the first one?

Would be cool to read about that guy again and if he went into Linux and what other projects he embarked on. Kind of cute thinking.

I even did it with his compiler. Hand wrote a clone of the compiler that can write itself in assembler. Not as in Forth which was an interpreter and rather slow. This one was a compiler building a compiler in just 50 words. IIRC that is. I thought it was rather fun.

If any of you have a suggestion on which University it could have been or the name of that compiler or the guy doing it.

It was about same time that a guy in Australia made a programming language that I vaguely remember he gave the name "Fast". Not sure spelling. But it was faster than Forth but very few started to use it, C became the in thing at that time. Then C++ and so on.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though