Puppy to the rescue again!

Promote Puppy !
Telkwa

Puppy to the rescue again!

#1 Post by Telkwa »

Good morning!
I received a couple of used USR 5610's a week ago. I wanted to see how much harder the USR 5610 internal PCI cards would be than the USR 5686 externals.

The answer is: too hard for me.

I tried Ubuntu 9.10, 9.04, and Fedora 12. All exhibited similar or identical problems that seem to be related to ownership and detection. Sudo pon would find the card and start dialing, but pon would not. Gnome-ppp would say that the "device was busy", until I'd dialed out with pon or wvdial then got offline and started Gnome-ppp. I tried various stunts to change ownership, groups, etc. I'm sure someone smarter than me would be able to make it work.

Puppy, on the other hand, saw the modem right off the bat and got online as if it was the simplest thing in the world. I first tried from a USB thumb drive, then installed Puppy to the HDD just to make sure. AFAIC connecting with a popular hardware modem that's been around for years should be relatively simple. Puppy says "Here you go", but the mighty Ubuntu gets all tangled up.

I've spent all my Linux time with Ubuntu, so there are a lot of things in the Puppy World I don't understand. I've been looking at the Beginner's Help stuff, following links, etc.

Am I reading this correctly? It looks like there's a lot of stuff that can be downloaded where there's broadband available (such as at the library with our laptop) then brought home and installed to a PC that's stuck behind our crummy dial-up connection? Kind of like an .exe for that other OS? I've adapted to the Ubuntu way of doing things, where it's almost never that simple.

EDIT: Just got back from the library. Installed the Firefox .pet and it works. That's pretty cool.

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Yes, and a whole lot more....

If you install Puppy to a USB stick [frugal install], & go to the library using their broadband, their PC & your Puppy USB stick - you'll need to reboot their PC, which may not boot from USB stick, unless you enable it in the bios.... :wink: ......you can build/add all sorts, and then bring it home and run the exact same puppy on your desktop, ......but only if you save to your USB stick at reboot before leaving the library[!]....and their PC won't even have changed a bit
Warning: If you leave it set to default save, it may try to save to the library PC
Note, some libraries may not like this procedure, until shown the simplicity of it, .....otherwise just make use of their broadband with your laptop

You can add the pup_save file to your desktop, by booting from CD so that neither system is mounted, then copy the pup_save file and reboot...

You then have synchronised the flash drive and desktop

It's worth keeping copies of the pup_save file on USB stick anyway, so if you get a problem, you can restore the previous copy, and away you go... :D

Puppy is the most playful linux around

enjoy

Aitch :)