How to mount pupxxx files?

Using applications, configuring, problems
rodney

How to mount pupxxx files?

#1 Post by rodney »

I have been usin puppy since the last 0.9 version.
On several occasions I have had to delete the pupxxx to resolve problems.
Recently I downloaded the grub two versions grafpup plus mean pup, this resulted in my having a pup001, a pup101 and a pup111 file.
The problem is that each version acessses its own pup but so far I have been unable to access the other pupxxx,s
when I tried to upgrade to 1.07 I got in a real mess, xorg hung with the stripey screen, I tried clrl+Backspace with no sucess, and every time I rebooted I got back to the hung screeen. I tried to access pup001 from graf to edit my x con fig but could not figure out how to mount it.
In the end I reluctantly deleted pup001 and ran puppy 1.07 in vesa.
I have now resolved the xorg problem I am not sure how, may have been xconfig as I did run that at one point.
I now know that I could have got to xvesa by pulling the plug.
so, any ideas on accessing pupxxx's?
By the way Barry the wizards and drive mounting utilities in puppy are the best on any distro that I have tried.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Code: Select all

mount /mnt/home/pup111 /mnt/pupxxx -o loop
Since it's not an actual device (harddrive, cd, etc.) but a file, you have to use a loopback device (the "-o loop" tells it to do this).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

You are not going camping this coming weekend Pizza right?

. . . good well we have a Puppy School Foundation Meeting :)

I have loads of renamed Pup001's on my Hard drive (I boot and run from CD)
they are stored (as you say) in /mnt/home

We could do with a program to access the data part of these files
or just rename them (in fact in the 1.07 boot isn't there an option to choose which pup001 to use?)

I am gradually learning HOW to make best use of Puppy

My email is better online with gmail (did not like this at first)
my bookmarks are going online with favoor.com

My most used and big files - eg the incredible megapup - are going on my HD along with big .pups

One of the BEST things about Puppy is being able to set him up in 5 minutes. Puppy is not like other Linux. Yes you need to have it on a HD if you are running a laptop
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rodney

#4 Post by rodney »

Thanks pizza.,
just tried that from my Vector partition and it worked OK, mounted hda1 first, not sure if I needed to.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

You are not going camping this coming weekend Pizza right?
Nope. I should be free. Though my classload has effectively doubled. We use block scheduling, so we have four classes per day for the first semester and a different four classes per day the next semster. Last semester, two were A.P (college-level) and two were fun (Spanish III and Drawing II). This semester, the two last semester are continued and I have two new ones, which means all four are A.P. Although, last semester I didn't really do anything in AP Calculus. So, I really went from one to three, so it kinda trippled on me. :cry:
So for all I know I'll have anywhere from nothing to three essays and a project.
mounted hda1 first, not sure if I needed to
Well, if the file was on hda1 and hda1 wasn't mounted, then it needed to be mounted. If not, then it didn't.

As for programs to mount them, I have a filesystem image (what pupfiles are) that I store my install files in. I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much type "mount /mnt/home/installfiles /mnt/data -o loop" in my sleep, but I've thought about making something to mount it for me. Like maybe a roxapp that mounts it and opens rox to the directory. It would work for pupfiles too, but I don't know how it would know what pupfile to use. You'd have to set it to run with one. Now, if pupfiles were named pup001.pupfile instead of pup001, I could set the run action on them to mount it and open the mountpoint in rox. You could rig up other distros that you use to work the same way, and then you could get into pupfiles much easier.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

ecomoney

Automounter

#6 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Pizzasgood

Any luck with the automounter? This would be really useful, and definetely something (IMHO) that should be included with puppy.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

bostonvaulter

#7 Post by bostonvaulter »

i second this. but it seems like a good candidate for a bash script maybe something like this.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
mkdir /mnt/pup_save_file
mount $@ /mnt/pup_save_file -o loop"
rox /mnt/pup_save_file
or maybe do something more complicated so if the save file is pup_save.2fs it will mount to /mnt/pup_save2fs and if it was pza_save.2fs it would mount to /mnt/pza_save2fs and if you give it two options you can specify where to mount it.

but a gui front end is definitely needed in my opinion. Working with previous pup_save files is important, especially for migrating to a new install or trying to recover from royally screwing up your save file (i do this all the time)

just my 2 cents.

Jason
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Nope, I completely forgot about that post. I've considered making a wizard several times, but I have a bunch of other projects I need to do too.

Has there already been one made? I know Sunburnt was making some things dealing with extra filesystems, but I was too busy to keep track of it. But I thought he made a mounting utility that could handle save-files, .sfs files, and even initrd.gz files. It was called Xmounter or something.

trapster

#9 Post by trapster »

It's called xfilemount Here
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog