Dillo - Browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Jasper

#106 Post by Jasper »

Hi aragon.

That was a quick response. The screen shot below shows the start of my post as viewed from Dillo (which is in substitution for a link - where I only took a snapshot of the two words).

Yes, I tried your Dillo 2.2 pet and two pets from Tman.

I suspect that apart from the Dillo screen shot - my above post looks normal to most readers.

My regards
Attachments
image-4.png
(36.93 KiB) Downloaded 1489 times

aragon

#107 Post by aragon »

Ah, ok i see. But back to the other part of the question, did you try the actual pet from the first post (3...)? You're allways refering to 2.2 which is an older one...

Aragon

Jasper

#108 Post by Jasper »

Hi aragon,

I tried v 3 from Tman and v 2.2 from yourself and Tman.

I can try your 3.0.2-1 pet in about 2 hours from now if you think it may help.

My regards

Update - I have just tried your 3.0.2-1 - but no joy.
I will be back on line in about two hours.

technosaurus

#109 Post by technosaurus »

try one of these:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 263#564263
edit: or change your font settings in the config file
Last edited by technosaurus on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

aragon

#110 Post by aragon »

Jasper wrote:Hi aragon,

I tried v 3 from Tman and v 2.2 from yourself and Tman.

I can try your 3.0.2-1 pet in about 2 hours from now if you think it may help.

My regards

Update - I have just tried your 3.0.2-1 - but no joy.
I will be back on line in about two hours.
hi jasper,

will try tomorrow if i could see something ...

aragon

Jasper

#111 Post by Jasper »

Hi technosaurus,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have tried both
versions though without success.

It is not very important - it's just that it would be nicer if
it were fixed.

My regards

Burunduk

#112 Post by Burunduk »

Dillo seems to be deceived by the page code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

The real encoding is utf-8. Firefox is smart enough to ignore the tag.

aragon

#113 Post by aragon »

Jasper,

i've looked into the issue ...

Dillo will only display special chars correct if

a) the charset is set to utf-8 as burunduk mentions
b) special chars are escaped properly (what as far as i see/understand does not happen for the message-body in the forum)

so it seems this is more a phpBB issue, than a dillo issue. Other browser just seem to be more fault-tolerant.

aragon

Jasper

#114 Post by Jasper »

Hi aragon, Burunduk and technosaurus,

Thank you all very much for your time and help.

I have been using utf-8 throughout, plus there have been a few thousand dillo downloads from this thread (apparently with few, if any, display problems).

So, it would seem that, whilst phpBB may well be problematic, there is some other cause more specific to me.

My computing knowledge is so poor that I don't even have a pay grade, so I can only understand any comments in a non-technical sense.

Burunduk mentioned "page code" and I do remember that long ago (using W98SE and a particular DOS program) I had to use Code Page 437 (instead of 850 or 85?) to see a correct display.

I still have W98SE on my computer, but I think I had to set code page 437 in autoexec.bat or config.sys so I have no idea if (or how) that might affect Puppy Linux and my dillo display.

My regards

redandwhitestripes

#115 Post by redandwhitestripes »

I love Dillo but I'm having a couple of issues with my 3.0 version in Precise.

1) Non-stop "certificate" warnings each time I follow a link.. Possibly caused by my clock being out of sync since I use no battery in my laptop.

2) I can't figure which URL to insert in the Dillo cookiesrc file to allow me to log in and view gmail in html mode. I have to resort to using "DEFAULT ACCEPT" which I don't like.

Any advice on fixing either of the above is most welcome.
Thanks
Greg

Dewbie

#116 Post by Dewbie »

redandwhitestripes wrote:
Non-stop "certificate" warnings each time I follow a link

This is a pretty common occurrence with Dillo, especially with certain websites.
I can't figure which URL to insert in the Dillo cookiesrc file to allow me to log in and view gmail in html mode.
A full-featured browser is usually required to access e-mail accounts.
Remember, Dillo doesn't support cache, cookies, history, etc...which is why it's so much faster.

session

dillo 3.0.3 soon

#117 Post by session »

...since this thread's up...

It looks like dillo 3.0.3 will be released real soon.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

redandwhitestripes

#118 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Dewbie wrote:redandwhitestripes wrote:

I can't figure which URL to insert in the Dillo cookiesrc file to allow me to log in and view gmail in html mode.
A full-featured browser is usually required to access e-mail accounts.
Remember, Dillo doesn't support cache, cookies, history, etc...which is why it's so much faster.
I know, but my point is that I can access gmail, but I can't figure out the exact url required to "accept" cookies for in dillorc, I've tried several, such as mail.google.com that don't work, so I've had to configure dillorc as 'default accept'

technosaurus

#119 Post by technosaurus »

Tcpdump is useful to find out what sites are getting called.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

linuxcbon

#120 Post by linuxcbon »

If you type dillo from shell, it will display which websites are called.
For example:

Code: Select all

Nav_open_url: new url='http://mail.google.com/mail/'
Dns_server [0]: mail.google.com is 173.194.45.54 173.194.45.53
Connecting to 173.194.45.54
Nav_open_url: new url='https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http://mail.google.com/mail/&scc=1&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2'
Capi_filters_test: deny from 'accounts.google.com' to 'ssl.gstatic.com'
Last edited by linuxcbon on Sat 16 Mar 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

linuxcbon

#121 Post by linuxcbon »

Dillo comes with cookies disabled by default.
I could get to gmail.com using this :
Edit /root/.dillo/cookiesrc with geany
Add this line ".google.com ACCEPT_SESSION"

session

Dillo-3.0.3 has been released

#122 Post by session »

From dillo.org:
Dillo-3.0.3 has been released!
17-Apr-2013

We've added support for the CSS display property, fine-grained control over hyphenation, a domainrc mechanism to replace filter_auto_requests, UI color preferences, a keybinding to view source, a couple of text selection improvements, some form widget work, keyboard navigation improvements, better window titles, fixed bugs that cropped up, etc. The big news is that work is active on floating elements, but this won't be ready to go inside this release. Stay tuned...
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

Jasper

#123 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I have not discovered how to display all characters properly using dillo - please see my last post on this subject @ http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ebd#665871

If anyone has any new idea(s) on a fix that would be great, however this post is about another small problem, viz:
viewing the above link in dillo (screen width 1024 pixels with size 14 font) I have to use the horizontal scroll bar and I wonder if there is a way to make that post, amongst some others, fit my screen width without reducing my font size?

My regards

session

#124 Post by session »

Jasper wrote:...viewing the above link in dillo (screen width 1024 pixels with size 14 font) I have to use the horizontal scroll bar and I wonder if there is a way to make that post, amongst some others, fit my screen width without reducing my font size?
That page is wider because of the box of unwrapped code near the bottom. You can create a style.css file in .dillo and add this:

.code {font-family: monospace !important; font-size: 8px !important}
I'm sure there's a better way to do that, but it works.

Jasper

#125 Post by Jasper »

Hi session,

Thank you very much for your interest and for your suggested method (which I had not thought of),

My style.css line currently reads:

body {background-color: #FFFFFF !important; font-family: Serif !important; color: blue !important}
so I could easily add your "font-size: 8px !important" to that line.
---------------
My method amended my dillorc file line to:

font_min_size=8 
substituting 8 in place of 14.
----------------
When I call Geany from my Task Bar it automatically opens at the file and line that was last amended. So either of our changes is easily reversed.

My regards

Ideally, like Opera, it could auto-wrap the larger text into whatever the available width, but I don't know how to achieve that in any other browser.