Dillo - Browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
aragon

#61 Post by aragon »

jpeps wrote:I'm trying aragon's version. It doesn't find the fonts listed in dillorc for some reason. I tried several that show up with fc-list : family.

techno's version is working correctly, and the fonts are now scaling properly.
i've allready recompiled both (fltk + dillo) with the same result. dunno,...

but if i see dillo on my arch-install, i see a big difference...

trying more...

aragon

aragon

#62 Post by aragon »

Ok, found the problem, will upload a fixed pet later.

Aragon

aragon

#63 Post by aragon »

uploaded bug-fixed pet to first post (3.0-2).

aragon

jpeps

#64 Post by jpeps »

aragon wrote:uploaded bug-fixed pet to first post (3.0-2).

aragon
Works!!

aragon

#65 Post by aragon »

:D

aragon

gerry

#66 Post by gerry »

Great! I've installed the pet on my 4.3.1 system, on my 11-yr old desktop. It's fast.
Only problem so far is- how do I create a bookmark? I've read the instructions, and I can't see anything about how to do it. I've created the bm.txt file- do I just have to edit that manually? Or what?

gerry

jpeps

#67 Post by jpeps »

gerry wrote:Great! I've installed the pet on my 4.3.1 system, on my 11-yr old desktop. It's fast.
Only problem so far is- how do I create a bookmark? I've read the instructions, and I can't see anything about how to do it. I've created the bm.txt file- do I just have to edit that manually? Or what?

gerry
book/modify/select an operation/[add url ...] /submit

..or just edit the bm.txt

Billtoo

#68 Post by Billtoo »

gerry wrote:Great! I've installed the pet on my 4.3.1 system, on my 11-yr old desktop. It's fast.

gerry
Right click brings up a menu which has a "bookmark this page option"
Attachments
dillo.jpg
(47.65 KiB) Downloaded 1408 times

aragon

#69 Post by aragon »

uploaded new version 3.0.1 to first post.

aragon

Dewbie

#70 Post by Dewbie »

Thanks, aragon!
Fonts look better than they did in Dillo 2.2.

session

Dillo 3 -- thoughts

#71 Post by session »

aragon, your package is working great in Wary. As Dewbie mentioned, fonts for, say, cursive and monospace display correctly without any config-file tweaking; this wasn't the case with Dillo 2.

My thoughts on Dillo 3:
Dillo's already my default web search tool, so the multiple search engines dialog is much appreciated.
I can't find it in the changelog, but remote images don't load until you click them... that's new. That makes a google image search nearly worthless.
The buffering scheme for drawing has improved--I think thanks to FLTK 1.3--so now I can use light buffering without bad screen flicker when moving (opaquely) a dillo window.
Dillo 2 had a nice way of cascading many tabs. Dillo 3 will push away early tabs and gives no way of re-accessing them with a mouse.

A cute fortune cookie: you can change the color of the url bar by middle-clicking the magnifying glass "Search the Web" button.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

aragon

Re: Dillo 3 -- thoughts

#72 Post by aragon »

session wrote:I can't find it in the changelog, but remote images don't load until you click them... that's new. That makes a google image search nearly worthless.
Have tested this on my arch install, can confirm that. interesting thing is, that some pics do load directly, other don't. I've cheched their bugtracker, there are a few entries about pics, but i don't understand all of them...

aragon

technosaurus

#73 Post by technosaurus »

Double-buffering is a fltk compile time configure option. I didn't enable it in my static uclibc++/fltk1.3 build because it looked fine without it on my box and cut memory usage quite a bit.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

session

#74 Post by session »

aragon wrote:interesting thing is, that some pics do load directly, other don't.
It appears that any image hosted on the same site--which these days is quite uncommon--loads immediately, and all other images load with a click. I assumed it was a feature, but that's a lot of clicking.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

aragon

#75 Post by aragon »

session wrote:
aragon wrote:interesting thing is, that some pics do load directly, other don't.
It appears that any image hosted on the same site--which these days is quite uncommon--loads immediately, and all other images load with a click. I assumed it was a feature, but that's a lot of clicking.
That fits this bug-report:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Impact: soft error
At: run time
Type: misbehaviour
Comments: Images pointing to HTTP URLs that are redirected are not loaded.
HTReproduce: The images accompanying stories at http://www.canada.com are so redirected (with 302 codes).
WorkedBy: nobody@ Intentional--they're usually ads. If you really want one to load, click 'isolate image' in image menu.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

aragon

Dewbie

#76 Post by Dewbie »

Oh, boy...it's a problem with EBay, too.
Went back to aragon's Dillo 2.2.
Fonts aren't as nice, but everything works.

aragon

#77 Post by aragon »

uploaded actual version to first post.

aragon

Tman

#78 Post by Tman »

I have modified Dillo-2.20 and changed the background color to white, added bookmarks and a custom search page that combines a Google-search with a Well-minded Puppy search.

You can download it -> here
Attachments
dillo-2.20-custom.png
(40.35 KiB) Downloaded 1837 times
Last edited by Tman on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 23:55, edited 3 times in total.

Eyes-Only

#79 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks Tman for this special version you've thrown together for us! :D I know that I'll especially enjoy using that Puppy search box for sure!! Hmm... just occured to me but I wished those who packaged browsers/puplets which used a hard drive file for its opening page like this would do similar as you've done - included a google Puppy search-bar, etc. ( Maybe they do and I haven't seen it. lol )

Anyway, I really enjoy this newer version of Dillo that the Devs have come up with as opposed to the older gtk1.2 version as it looks far "cleaner", more modern, and the speed is simply incredible. I frequently use it over the heavy-weights forgetting that I'm using "just Dillo". :shock:

Thanks again Tman!

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jasper

#80 Post by Jasper »

Hi Tman et al,

Instant (or fast for dial-up) download of this 712 KB pet

Lightning fast in use, appears to need only some 10MB and negligible CPU.

Puppy users, especially those who are strapped for resources and/or experience slow browser operation may really appreciate this (perhaps as an extra - as whilst it's a miracle for its size - it's not the miracle of all miracles).

Thanks Tman - I anticipate this version of Dillo will get much acclaim if it is well publicised.

My regards

Addendum - amended

If when using the "Book" icon and the pre-set bookmark to this forum (or say, Distrowatch) the display is peculiar then click "Reload".

I made four manual changes to /root/,etc/dillo/dillorc

line 15 deleted the hash # and changed the numbers to 1024x720
to obviate clicking the full screen icon.
My screen is actually 1024x768 (not 720)

line 32 deleted the hash #
That apparently stopped screen flicker
ADDED My screen flicker has come back

line 36 deleted the hash # and amended to /root/downloads
My usual download folder

line 62 deleted the hash # and changed the number to 14
Some text was too small to suit me.

Then save
-------------------
Tman and/or other forum members may well have more and better suggestions, particularly for new Puppians.
======================================
Subsequently: I moved the file "dillorc" from /root/.etc/dillo to /root/dillo and then made an sfs (see note below) so that the 4 changes above are automatic on starting Dillo.
Note: Using Slacko 5.3.1 Main my homemade sfs loads and runs well, apart from flicker on a change of subject, but I can only unload it by rebooting.