Create PuppyCd With Current Antivirus

Booting, installing, newbie
rodan

Create PuppyCd With Current Antivirus

#1 Post by rodan »

I just installed current version of Puppy Linux and have internet connection with it.
what I would now like to do, is install and update an antivirus program to it, and, then create a PuppyLinux CD, with the current Antivirus program in it, and, be able to update it in the future.

The purpose of the cd will be to scan any Windows computer for worms and viruses.

I understand this can be done.
Is anyone doing this, and, if so, what antivirus program are you using and can you point me to some instructions on how to get it.
I'm new to linux.

yorkiesnorkie

CLAM AV

#2 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Your premise is a little flawed. The minute you created a live CD and finalized it with the latest anti-virus you'd probably have a dead product the next day when the anti-virus definitions updated.

You can boot the live CD and then go from there to get the AV software of your choice, but that could get tedious. I would recommend that you run your AV Puppy off of a USB stick instead and use that to boot PCs. That way you could update the definitions for Clam AV for example, on a daily basis. Your stick would alway's be good.

Puppy 4.3.x comes with an Xfprot installer script (its on the menu), which requires an active internet connection, and there is a bug fix for XFprot in the additional software forum by the way.

You can also download and install the Clam AV pet package. Very easily done.

Clam AV is a command line tool and you have to configure several .conf files before you can use it, its easy to use but not everyone's cup of tea. It works though but merely finds infected files (they recommend that you delete and repace them)

With regard to other anti-virus software for checking windows partitions, there were several suggestions in the additional software forum. AVAST for example which was suggested to me. I have yet to give it a go, (been busy). It's on my to do list.

To make your own Live CD requires jumping through some additional hoops, hence the suggestion to run it from a USB stick.

Anyway that's just my thought for the moment. I hope that helps a little.

Yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

AV Post

#3 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47233 - This is the AV Post I started. Lots of info there.

yorkiesnorkie

XF Prot Bugfix

#4 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Use Shardana:

Multi ISO scanner complete with Puppy.
Can update.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52027

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.p ... topic=9930

Chris

rodan

#6 Post by rodan »

Thanks for the info and links. Going to check this out in morning. Will do some detailed reading.