TEENpup2010minibeta (Final) Ready for download

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Colonel Panic

#46 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm afraid I'm stumped in that case. Have you tried Memtest to find out whether or not all your memory's sound?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Sylvander

#47 Post by Sylvander »

I'm always running tests on things, but don't think I've recently run a full test on all RAM.

However, my PC generally runs very well; no sign of problems apart from the "odd" Puppy that won't load, or can't see the internal HDD.
Usually due methinks to not having enough RAM, or a driver in the kernel for my PCI to IDE SCSI RAID controller card.

TLM

Firefox 3.5.8 works, but with error msg on launch

#48 Post by TLM »

Hello, great work! I have installed dougalremaster and restarted to JWM and then remastered. I now have a copy of this puplet that boots into JWM by default (my preference) Also installed the Firefox 3.5.6 PET and then upgraded to 3.5.8 via the Check for Updates from the FF Help menu. Java and flash and my NVIDIA installed without a hitch too. Using this for my desktop. Problems with Opera; won't load videos from www.hulu.com keeps saying video unavailable. This is not an issue with the site, because the videos work fine in other distros. If I switch on the Opera Turbo, the videos will finally load after 2 or 3 tries, however I have a fairly quick ethernet connection and should not need Turbo. I am typing this post from Firefox, and it seems to be working ok, except every time I launch FF, I get the following error message in its own little dialog box:

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for firefox-bin. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.
Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gconfd-2" (No such file or directory)

Despite this, Firefox will run anyway. I just want to know if there is a fix to make the error message go away? Thank you for any and all help

vernel1008

#49 Post by vernel1008 »

John Biles

I commend you for a great work with TEENPUP Mini 2010.
I used other distro before but i fell in love with teenpup.
Congratulations! 8)

you are from australia? i hope i can see you there when i come to work to australia.

i just want to ask though i'm really new to puppy, i want to try e17 for teenpup2010. Can somebody help me through that process?

john biles

#50 Post by john biles »

Hello vernel1008,
My wife is a Filipino and I was in the Philippines for 5 weeks from December 2009 to January 2010 so where are you from? What will be your Work and where will you be living?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

vernel1008

#51 Post by vernel1008 »

really? good to hear. I'm from Rizal here in the Philippines. I'm not sure yet. But I'll be going there for sure. i have a lot of relatives in Australia I just don't know the specific place of their residence hehehe. I'm just waiting for my graduation this coming April.

john biles

#52 Post by john biles »

Hello vernel1008,
My wife wants to know if it's Las pinas Rizal is that right? My wife is from Taguig. Which College are you attending?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

vernel1008

#53 Post by vernel1008 »

nope... I'm from Angono Rizal. i know Taguig, I have a few friends from there. I will graduate from the university of the Philippines Diliman.

when i become adept in puppy, hopefully i can be one of those who'll help in improving teenpup. =D
I'm still new in this so i need to read more.

puppyiso

#54 Post by puppyiso »

John, I do't know if it's only me but the DVD drive isn't opening as it used to. When I click on it, it opens a video player.

I could open it in other way but cumbersome. Any quick fix?

Otherwise, everything else works except a little slower than usual.

John

dolphinsupernova

TEENPup2010MiniB

#55 Post by dolphinsupernova »

I have been using the latest Teenpup since first release; initially it was installed to a bootable flash drive and more recently I have given it a full HDD install to our main PC after I managed to "kill" Puppy 4.3.1. I thought it was time for a change so Teenpup got installed!

As a daily OS I am very pleased with the way it performs and has proven to be very reliable. To connect to the web I use a 3G USB dongle which will not work in a straight Puppy 4.2/4.2.1, so I have installed several packages to get this working.

My only negative comment is that this distro uses Opera - I'm really not very keen. So I have installed Firefox via Package Manager and this is working superbly.

I'm very impressed with this release of Teenpup and the sheer amount of stuff that gets grammed into the iso. I love it, but then I am a Puppy convert!

Ade.

musher0

#56 Post by musher0 »

Congratulations, John!

I've been following your TeenPups for a couple of years, and the 2010 version is probably the best and most complete to date. In my mind, it's also a prime example of what "working-out-of-the-box" should be, since it's easy to use, and the variety of programs offered covers all aspects of what one normally does with a computer.

My only reservation would be that there appears to be no localisation package(s) available for TeenPup. Or is (are) there?

In any case, it's still an outstanding Puppy! Keep it up!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Colonel Panic

#57 Post by Colonel Panic »

Yeah, it's a good Pup; I've had it working in 512 MB though not on my own machine.

I wonder if it's possible to get it working in less memory than 512 MB, by loading the Teenpup SFS file on bootup in the same way as I was able to do with Rudy (which is also difficult to run in 256 MB).

I'd be interested in trying that if I have some spare time soon. What window manager does it use by default, IceWM or JWM?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

musher0

#58 Post by musher0 »

Icewm.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Colonel Panic

#59 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, I'll look into it. It may not work but if it does it'll be useful for other people getting by with 256 MB to know about.

Colonel Panic

#60 Post by Colonel Panic »

Well, I finally managed to run it (though possibly by luck as well as judgment).

First of all I created a Puppy Lighthouse savefile (I could probably have used a different one, but that was one which worked) and I then used it to boot Teenpup 2010, which updated it.

It hung on a blank screen, so I had to turn off the machine and then let it boot up from the new updated save file which it did.

I now have a fully functioning Teenpup 2010 in 256 MB RAM! Thanks John for a fine job of work and including some good software, such as the Powermanga shootup game (which I've already been enjoying).

Colonel Panic

#61 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another update; my problems running Teenpup are (hopefully) now a thing of the past since I've just added another 256 MB of RAM (which I was given - thanks!), so I can now boot it up directly from the CD-ROM.

Thanks for a good job of work!

Cheers,

CP .

puponmanyoldlaptops

Just Saw TEENpup2101minibeta and am test driving it..

#62 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

Hello, John Biles!

I have TP2010mb and I am extra impressed with the layout, the look, feel and operation. You are an artist.

I miss Firefox, but have always liked Opera from my days using early Macintosh computers.

The included programs, the way it just works, it's a knockout!

Thanks for using an earlier Puppy for your basis. The old computers I target so far seem to take it in stride.

puponmanyoldlaptops

puponmanyoldlaptops

Just Saw TEENpup2101minibeta and am test driving it..

#63 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

Hello, John Biles!

I have TP2010mb and I am extra impressed with the layout, the look, feel and operation. You are an artist.

I miss Firefox, but have always liked Opera from my days using early Macintosh computers.

The included programs, the way it just works, it's a knockout!

Thanks for using an earlier Puppy for your basis. The old computers I target so far seem to take it in stride.

puponmanyoldlaptops

umair

Latest Pidgin for Teenpup mini

#64 Post by umair »

Hi Jone Biles!
What a gr8 work U have Done, PErsonally I like Teenpup mini Very much, works gr8 on my pc with FRUGAL install, just want to know that how do I install a latest pidgin? I installed from repos but its unable to connect to yahoo as its an old version. I posted this issue many times before but no luck yet. I know that U r a too much Bz Person :) (as u have a family n kids ) but if u pls help me thn i will be happy or any other guy who can help.
thnx in advance
Regards
UMAIR

Colonel Panic

#65 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've also come back to it (Teenpup 2010) now. I had a problem with SolidPup (the browser crashes on Yahoo Mail), so I needed another Pup in a hurry and, as I hadn't tried this one for a while, I thought I'd give it a another go.

This probably deserves another thread, but;

Provided that they can run an up-to-date browser like Firefox 5 or 6 (or a recent Seamonkey), which some sites need now if you don't have Windows and thus IE 7 or 8, I think the 4.2 series of Pups is my favourite of all of them.

It can run all the 4 series software Pets, which I find very useful, and also, through dotpuphandler, all the earlier Pups which the later Puppies won't run (such as the ace of penguins suite of games, for example, and the rainlendar calendar app).

I also believe it's at least as stable as any of the more recent ones. So, no offence to anyone who uses or has worked on the Lucid Pups but 4.2 series Pups rock on!
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.