FOM Pup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
chum_bucket

FOM Pup

#1 Post by chum_bucket »

Ok for various reasons an update to FOM pup made 11 days ago never reached the forums so here it is now.

http://www.4shared.com/file/NsjPUQwD/FO ... pha_2.html

FOMpup-1.0 Alpha 2 ( md5 = c1a7849190a9ecbce90a417fb7d9d74f )

Ok some fixes to problems reported from the initial test. Also found some leftover locale files so result is actually nearly 4MB smaller :)
  • Restored Dejavu_sans as had lost some language font support using the full TTF set previously used.
    Rolled back to Pidgin 2.7.10 as 2.8.0 was displaying chat users incorrectly.
    Set 'Home' icon to rox and added defaultfilemanager file as is sometimes needed.
    Pgprs was not missing...it is installed on demand but have left it in as only tiny.
    Usbflash installer was broken as missing syslinux files... restored from the 5.2.8 instant update. This also provided the firewall launcher inadvertently left out previously and some minor updates.

TODO

There was report that a save file was not being made at shutdown. I have failed to reproduce this so further investigation needed....a copy of /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE might shed some light.

Also reported that a touch-pad needed manually setting up (tapping)...again to be investigated....any input on these matters is appreciated. Note I had to run Flsynclient and change tap time to >0 for it to work for me (similar to the xorg.conf approach). Also benefitted from a speed increase... ie the defaults are not that desirable it seems. Also if the synaptics specific driver fails to load tapping works by default.

mike

chum_bucket

#2 Post by chum_bucket »

Since I got familiar with lucid i decided i might be nice to port some of the ideas i use in older puppies I have been using since implemented about a year ago ....the changes in recent puppies/kernels does make it a little challenging but a basic working version is the result so far. Ideas from this testing platform may be carried over to other puplets.

This is purely for testing and not for general use but any feedback is appreciated....one fix is related to the loading of wireless kboard/mouse drivers during boot so if you happen to have one.....

v4 sneaked in...built in sfs loading...custom 7z includes opening any version sfs..exe files etc. sfs loading with main pup file at the bottom now and other stuff.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/110545536/Puppy ... ike_V4.iso
Ok some notes on this
psubdir is disabled for testing purposes so frugal installs to the root of partitions only for now....also its expected to have saves and sfs together....though there is a disabled 'look all over for save' function.
The new save options have a very brief explanation... if confused then ask...
In theory you can load up to 252 sfs files (how many!) ...no boot manager just lob them where the puppy sfs is and name _525.sfs or _sfs4.sfs...again kept simple. Oh and yes no save needed ...handy for compiling. This is aimed at those ram generous netbooks since everything can load to ram and the hard drive can go to bed though running with 512MB ram and swap proves useable as well.
mike
Last edited by chum_bucket on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

l2ulinux

FOM Pup

#3 Post by l2ulinux »

I just downloaded and will burn later and test it. I will reply back with how it works. Thanks for a new Puppy version to try.