Taking Puppy for a Google

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

Taking Puppy for a Google

#1 Post by Guest »

I noticed that Larry Page (co-founder of Google) made no mention at the recent CES in Las Vegas of an OS (Linux based) to rival Windows as some people had predicated. However there is a whisper going around the traps that the Google big guns are on a worldwide search for eccentric Linux geniuses. I wonder if BarryK has been bowled a googlie yet, maybe he has already been grabbed by the googlies (ouch!).
Is the revolutionery Puppy2 a forerunner of a Pupgoogle OS called Poodle

Hmm.....................just a thought

#2 Post by Guest »

He mentions somewhere on the pages here that he has already turned down some offers from the us

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Open source and social change

#3 Post by Lobster »

I should imagine that a google OS will be combined with a browser and just boot that and run from the browser.

Ajax is being promoted and hyped because it places contol on servers (not with individuals). A rather incredible language (hardly known) called Curl that I used for a while, used client sided script to do things like 3D rendering in real time from a script. They are meant to have a Linux version but closed source languages are just too much hassle. Curl.com is closed sourced and now owned by a Japanese company after MIT and Darpa funding. It was so clear and pleasant to use . . .

Google is taking over from MS and works with heavy usage of US spookery. At the moment spook central is trying to manipulate social browsing.

Open source and social change is making these legacy agencies redundant - after all if you do not have an enemy - invent one is hardly the way to run a country . . . or then again . . .

LOL - seem to be ranting :oops:
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 09 Jan 2006, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

Poodle

#4 Post by raffy »

Why can't Larry and Co. just remaster a Puppy that has only a browser - they'd have a Poodle in no time. But perhaps they won't do it - they wouldn't believe that they can do it so easily and for free :lol:

Thanks for the idea - after all, Negroponte and Co keeps ignoring Puppy for their $100 gadget.

Poodle is better :D

EDIT: Yes, Lobster, it's better that we just laugh this out this week - who knows, next week we might be working !
Last edited by raffy on Mon 09 Jan 2006, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Poodle

#5 Post by Lobster »

raffy wrote:Why can't Larry and Co. just remaster a Puppy that has only a browser - they'd have a Poodle in no time. But perhaps they won't do it - they wouldn't believe that they can do it so easily and for free :lol:

Thanks for the idea - after all, Negroponte and Co keeps ignoring Puppy for their $100 gadget.

Poodle is better :D
I like the name Poodle :) - so French (incidentally poodles were designed as working dogs before someone designed a way to shear the poor beasts)

Have you contacted the $100 team? I did and they were set on Red Hat - one of the sponsors - get them using Red Hat - then flog it to them as adults - hey am I being cynical? That is perhaps why Steve jobs offered the Apple OS . . .

Hey guys - here is a free OS
- "get away from me weirdo"

LOL - we shall prevail

Keep going guys - we will win because we yap louder

woof woof
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 09 Jan 2006, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sandgroper

No more Google

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

I live in Western Australia (Perth) and I heard a rumour maybe not true of course, that the Google big wigs were spotted in Perth asking the way to Perenjori, they couldn't pronounce it correctly but eventually off they trotted to Perenjori. They asked around Perenjori (it's a very small town) if they knew of a Mr Barry Kauler, 'oh yes you mean that eccentric Linux genius who lives out of town'. Anyway the Google big wigs went to BK's place armed with a multi-million employment contract, when they knocked on the door a person appeared who looked like Albert Enstein and Salvador Dali rolled into one and carrying a Puppy in his arms. The Google big wigs were so taken aback by this apparition they turned on their heels fled back to Perth hopped on the first aircraft back to the USA
in a state of shock.

As I say probably just a rumour who knows, only the Great man himself

Sandgroper

No more Google

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

I live in Western Australia (Perth) and I heard a rumour maybe not true of course, that the Google big wigs were spotted in Perth asking the way to Perenjori, they couldn't pronounce it correctly but eventually off they trotted to Perenjori. They asked around Perenjori (it's a very small town) if they knew of a Mr Barry Kauler, 'oh yes you mean that eccentric Linux genius who lives out of town'. Anyway the Google big wigs went to BK's place armed with a multi-million employment contract, when they knocked on the door a person appeared who looked like Albert Enstein and Salvador Dali rolled into one and carrying a Puppy in his arms. The Google big wigs were so taken aback by this apparition they turned on their heels fled back to Perth hopped on the first aircraft back to the USA
in a state of shock.

As I say probably just a rumour who knows, only the Great man himself

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Ha ha :D
Sadly, the Puppy part is no longer true.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Definitely avoid the 'poodle' tag. As you'll appreciate, that's how we refer to our present PM - the only guy in Britain who trots obediently behind the GWB coat tails. He'll be gone soon and so will the idiot son. A better world in prospect.
As for names, I've always believed that Rotweiler strikes a more appropriate tone? Folks who know their canine breeds better might come up with one that is small, quick and devours monsters? I'm thinking 'corgi', but that might be a bridge too far for some of our beloved antipodeans?

Dougal

#10 Post by Dougal »

Definitely avoid the 'poodle' tag.
Apart for my dislike for poodles, the name makes me thing of 'poo' and 'puddle', or 'poo puddle'. Not what you'd like Puppy to be associated with...
There's always the Miniature Pinscher- small, energetic, loud. Extremely annoying. Not very good either.
Why not use the Dingo? And change the bark to "maaaaaaaate"!

PooPoo

#11 Post by PooPoo »

Good to see some light hearted banter on the forum after some 'heavy stuff'
My vote is for Poodle, I am quite happy to follow obediently behind BK, coat tails and all
Poodle poo is the most elegant of all poos, small, compact, easily transported, fits into ones pocket, in fact all the anticipated attributes of Puppy2

Vive la Puppy2 Poodle

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

I am reminded of a scene from Fawlty Towers:

A lady guest took her dog into the dining room, and it sat on a chair, at the same table as the lady.

An elderly gentleman long-term resident, addressed as the "Major", struck up a conversation with the lady.

Major: "What kind of dog is it?"
Lady: "It's a Shitzu"
Major: long pause, and then replies,
"Oh, and what breed is it?"

...this belongs in that other thread, of very bad dog jokes.