Quirky 008 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
maddox

#46 Post by maddox »

Quirky-008 using live-cd
Acer laptop "tm-4602LMi"
cpu-freq scaling chooses the correct values and they are correctly entered into the min max box.
However, when I close the lid, the cpu hibernates/suspends but it won't wake up completely.
Hit any key, it tries to wake-up, (screen, drive and fan) then falls back to sleep. Only way out is to power-off

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

This morning I took short .ASF and .mov movies
and they played OK (not automatically) when I dragged them into xine
This may be the new Radeon card or the upgrades in Quirky.

Also used Menu / System / pdisk to great effect
deleting some minor, non-Puppy Linux known as Ubuntu :wink:
(be careful noobs
- this is low level partitioning . . .)

Yesterday I watched a streaming movie from the BBC website
- basically I have been using Quirky 008 as my OS

I only use an OS (at this stage) as long as it does what I want
So far so good - several days now
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

LoneRifle

#48 Post by LoneRifle »

Reporting everything working well on the Edubook. However, noticed that drivers for my wireless card don't support WPA. Is there a guide to replacing the drivers with ones that do support it? Thanks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

LoneRifle wrote:Reporting everything working well on the Edubook. However, noticed that drivers for my wireless card don't support WPA. Is there a guide to replacing the drivers with ones that do support it? Thanks.
pakt sent me a pm about that:
Indeed, sound and wireless work. I have the Realtek 8188S adapter which works with the r8192s_usb module. It didn't show up in Pwireless but did in Dougal's wizard and works with WPA2 in spite of being warned by the wizard that it wouldn't.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tempestuous

#50 Post by tempestuous »

Clearly the r8192s_usb driver is WPA-compatible, it simply needs to be specified as compatible in the Network Wizard:
line 322 of /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh

aarf

#51 Post by aarf »

BarryK wrote:
aarf wrote:pwireless2 as pointed out still need work on the intergration into connect wizard..
pgprs-connect still cant be found in the menu after the first setup i.e. menus are not refreshed after setup: this the last time will point that out.
pgprs-connect does connect from a terminal.
aarf,
One important feature of this new integrated networking is there are no longer arbitrary menu entries for individual network connection tools.

If you chose GPRS as the default tool, then you should have /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect with this in it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec rxvt -title "pgprs-connect PRESS CTRL+C TO DISCONNECT" -e pgprs-connect
When you click on the 'connect' icon on the desktop, 'defaultconnect' script will run immediately.

...that's the idea anyway, the actual implementation has some rough edges, as this is just the "first take" at doing it.
connect-icon: although it is a good, although non-intuative system, it is not doing it for me.
my connection:
firstly i try pwirless2 for any open networks that are around, ok fine if there are,

but if not next is USB-cable-gprs to mobile phone which was fine when/if the menu entry got into network menu place but now if i have pwireless2 as default in quirky008, i then need to use pgprs-connect in a terminal because the gprs option is not in the right-click on connect-icon.

additionally now i also have an a faster bluetooth dongle in USB port used to connect to a bluetooth enabled mobile phone which works easily as a bluetooth connected modem in knopix531 but i can't see how to get it to connect in puppy. "internet by dialup or wireless modem" and "internet by wireless GPRS modem" both fail to see a bluetooth modem connection and jemimah's bluez ain't cutting it yet..

LoneRifle

#52 Post by LoneRifle »

BarryK wrote:
LoneRifle wrote:Reporting everything working well on the Edubook. However, noticed that drivers for my wireless card don't support WPA. Is there a guide to replacing the drivers with ones that do support it? Thanks.
pakt sent me a pm about that:
Indeed, sound and wireless work. I have the Realtek 8188S adapter which works with the r8192s_usb module. It didn't show up in Pwireless but did in Dougal's wizard and works with WPA2 in spite of being warned by the wizard that it wouldn't.
Thanks Barry. I actually got my Edubook from a supplier other than NorhTec, so my wireless adapter is actually based on a Ralink 3070 chipset. iirc trying to get Puppy to scan for networks on this chipset resulted in no networks being found, but I'll try again tonight.

As an aside, did you compile the Xorg driver for the RDC VGA controller onboard the Edubook? doesn't seem to be present at the usual path.. if you didn't don't worry about it.

nooby

#53 Post by nooby »

I know that Q8 and the others are not supposed to be working puppies. Barry use q to test the woof woof with different ideas and see how they work out.

But I hope later when somebody make use of woof that they fix the nVidia thing so even us who have bought a HP/Compaq with AMD cpu and nVidea graphics can see the desktop instead of a black screen.

No hurry, I can wait.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

BarryK
Puppy Master

Simple Network Setup

#54 Post by BarryK »

Here is my Simple Network Setup (SNS).

The PET can be installed into Quirky 008, but might cause trouble in older puppies, as it has /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and rc.shutdown that might not be compatible with older pups.

Simple Network Setup can be run just by typing "sns" in a terminal.

It can also be launched by clicking the 'connect' icon on the desktop, then choose 'Internet by wired or wireless LAN', then another window will offer a choice between the Network Wizard and SNS.

If you set SNS as the default, then "exec sns" gets written to /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect. The boot script rc.sysinit reads this and will use SNS to make the connection. Also, the 'connect' icon on the desktop will run SNS immediately when clicked on.

Bug reports most welcome.

EDIT: If you are running Quirky 008, it is probably best to remove all the files /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-*. These are part of Pwireless2.
Attachments
sns-1.pet
(32.81 KiB) Downloaded 936 times

01micko

#55 Post by 01micko »

Hi

Using SNS in a tpup build from woof March 4

I previously had issues in this pup connecting with wireless, I fluked a connection with Pwireless2 by playing with Pwireless2 scripts on the command line but did not record what I did! :evil:

I installed sns-1 in tpup running pfix=ram. I tried it and the interface and available networks showed. Good. I chose the radio button of my essid, chose wep, entered key and hit connect. It failed. Tried again but no networks showed.

Here is the dhcpcd log

Code: Select all

dhcpcd: sending commands to master dhcpcd process
This is what I was getting on the command line with my earlier efforts with Pwireless2.

I went and tried Pwireless2 (remember, I'm pfix=ram) and lo and behold it worked! There must have been something triggered by the sns-1 scripts. Weird but I'm posting now from my tpup. (It is very closely related to quirky for those who don't know).

Any further logs needed, or suggestions???

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#56 Post by BarryK »

01micko,
Ok, can you try doing it all from the commandline. Boot up with pfix=ram, then run this:

You will have to substitute the variables where required. $INTERFACE is something like 'wlan0' or 'wlan1':

# ifconfig $INTERFACE up
# iwlist $INTERFACE scan
...from this you can find the $CHANNEL number.

# iwconfig $INTERFACE mode managed
# iwconfig $INTERFACE essid $ESSID
# iwconfig $INTERFACE channel $CHANNEL

$KEY will be a 10, 26 or 58 digit hexadecimal number...
# iwconfig $INTERFACE key $KEY

If all the the above completed without error, then you should be able to start the dhcpcd client daemon:

# dhcpcd $INTERFACE

...to confirm that this has succeeded, /etc/resolv.conf will have IP addresses in it.

If you get an error at any step above, that will help me to narrow down the problem. Ditto for anyone else reading this. The above steps are for WEP, not WPA.

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

Followed instructions... I got online on the second go.. but it seems weird.

The results are in PM I sent you, it is an exact copy/paste from Urxvt, so can't publish here.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ttuuxxx

#58 Post by ttuuxxx »

01micko wrote:Followed instructions... I got online on the second go.. but it seems weird.

The results are in PM I sent you, it is an exact copy/paste from Urxvt, so can't publish here.

Cheers.
you can save it as a .txt file and tar.gz it then upload it on here, or use past.bin http://pastebin.ca/

like http://pastebin.ca/1831836

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Terryphi

#59 Post by Terryphi »

Tried SNS, and then shinobar's net-setup-20100310.pet, but Quirky still does not work with Netgear WG111v2 or WG511. :cry:

upnorth

simple network setup SNS Q009 ipinfo

#60 Post by upnorth »

Some of the "extra stuff" on screen looks like stuff from:
dcpcd-hooks/20-resolv.conf

This from Q009 with preinstalled version sns.
update: now with sns-2.1

Otherwise everything was good.

EDIT: As a workaround, I removed comment lines from /etc/resolv.conf and edited the script /usr/sbin/ipinfo at line 84 to be:
<label>\"${nl}${var04}${nl}${nl}${var05}\"</label>
The display is now normal under the DNS tab. :idea:
For some reason, the markup <b> and <tt> was interpreted as standard text
on line 84 of ipinfo.
Attachments
ipinfo_cut.jpg
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 1836 times
Last edited by upnorth on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 17:30, edited 6 times in total.

oui

#61 Post by oui »

Hi

As it was not possible for me in the last time to work easily with Puppy any more, I did not visit this forum as often as in the past and did ignore the existence of this discussion...

only a automatic forum email did remember me on this discussion

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51091

and I did continue in it.

you will find in the first message on it different observations concerning Quirky (bug in the instant messenger? why Seamonkey 1.1.18 as Seamonkey 2.0 works well :roll: ? what is it with AbiWord and "CLT languages"... older versions of AbiWord did work very well with CLT languages. the newest not! missing library for skype etc.)

salut

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

SNS

#62 Post by Béèm »

Installed SNS in dpup484beta4

I got my wireless card configured right away without hassle.
Nice little applet.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

edoc

Re: SNS

#63 Post by edoc »

Béèm wrote:Installed SNS in dpup484beta4

I got my wireless card configured right away without hassle.
Nice little applet.
If to be used on a non-experimental PC, but one used daily for school or work, which would be the better choice for completeness and stability?

dpup484beta4
quirky008
Lighthouse Pup 4.43G
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

oui

#64 Post by oui »

Hi

In my opinion Turbopup Xtrm 4.2

But Quirky is excellent!

Bye

timber

#65 Post by timber »

Great distro BarryK!

I've distro hopped a number of puplets over the past 6 months or so and really like Quirky, it's obvious it's well thought out and runs very smooth with no xorg problems or shutdown errors. Nice selection of packages.
I used the Network Wizard to connect, the Pwireles2 method didn't seem to work for me using WEP (although it may just be that I'm not familiar with it.)

I immediately added Xfce desktop environment and it's working flawlessly.
Opera 10.10 installed and works great.

Tried Compiz and it works but has some problems with pointer and window top bar (no Minimize, Exit etc).

I'm using Quirky as my main OS now and it's the best pup yet!
Thanks for all the hard work you've done on it, it's appreciated!
Last edited by timber on Fri 12 Mar 2010, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.