Wireless works one case, not in another

Please post any bugs you have found
SportsGeek

Wireless works one case, not in another

#1 Post by SportsGeek »

Weird PuppyLinux problem. I cannot explain the inconsistent results. Must be a bug somewhere...
3 different sources/versions of Puppy 4.31, 3 different results with wireless:
1. LiveUSB- Boots fine; "Connect" icon identifies wlan0; scan for
networks always sees my network; "use this profile" scans but gives an error "unable to connect to wireless network"; AutoDHCP button appears to succeed and says "do you want to save this configuration"; browser will not access any pages; ping also fails; ifconfig shows an IP address in the range 169.254.224.xxx. This version is Puppy 4.31. The desktop image has a lake in the foreground, and snowy mountains beyond.

2. LiveCD w/ BrunoPup- "Connect" icon identifies wlan0; Wireless Wizard "Scan" for networks sometimes sees my network, sometimes does not; pushing my keyboard wireless button (<BlueFn><F2>) and re=scanning DOES see my network. Remainder of Wizard works fine, and Internet connection is good. The desktop image has black bars across the top and bottom, and a section of a very large green leaf across the middle

3. LiveUSB created about 2 weeks after the original LiveUSB was created- "Connect" icon identifies wlan0; Wireless Wizard "Scan" causes error message "ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource busy or missing". I originally spent quite some time trying to figure this one out, but could not get rid of that error message. It looked like an IRQ or PnP conflict, but my BIOS does not allow me to make any related changes. The desktop image was different from the 2 above.

I remastered the USB of case 3, so I can no longer make any modifications or attempts to fix it

In any case, I want to focus on the difference(s) between items 1 and 2 above, and fix the LiveUSB. Some have suggested that I try DPup or BoxPup, and I have downloaded those, but I want to put them on a Multi-boot CD with some other distros, and I am reading the various websites and forum posts on the subject. I don't want to dedicate any more time to the multiboot at this point.