Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 22:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
HOW TO INSTALL A "WINE MENU"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
BigMike

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 11:42    Post subject:  HOW TO INSTALL A "WINE MENU"
Subject description: how to create a menu for windows programs

====================================================
HOW TO INSTALL A "WINE MENU"
====================================================
Here is how to create a menu for windows programs
or a "wine menu" - that updates automatically.

download the menu from here;

http://portableapps.com/

The menu and "the entire platform is open source."

In the directory /root/.wine/drive_c - add a subdirectry called programs and add the portableapps menu here;

/root/.wine/drive_c/programs/portableappsmenu

Add what ever windows programs you like to in the same directory;

/root/.wine/drive_c/programs/"program"

However do not make subdirectories as the menu will not find these programs.

To shut down the menu;

Its hard to see the button to shut down the menu as it is buried behind the tray, so call up the menu from the tray button. Once the menu appears, Right click on the tray where the menu is and click "close".

Thats it now your off and running and NO more directory surfing
to start your windows programs in Linux!

BigMike
wine-menu2.png
Description  "Wine Menu"
png

Download 
Filename  wine-menu2.png 
Filesize  311.95 KB 
Downloaded  566 Time(s) 
tlchost

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar 2010, 11:46    Post subject:  

Another way is to install the Portable Apps stuff on a usb drive....make that bootable with puppy and add wine.....this method lets you have access to the windows programs when you're using a windows machine.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 06 Mar 2010, 22:08    Post subject: Adding individual Wine Apps to Puppy’s Menu
Subject description: Puppy Menu Listing regardless of where the App is located

Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2011, 17:06    Post subject: Re: Adding individual Wine Apps to Puppy’s Menu
Subject description: Puppy Menu Listing regardless of where the App is located

mikeslr wrote:
Hi BigMike and tlchost,

There’s also a way to add Apps running under Wine to your Puppy Start Menu. Please note before reading further that at one time I bore the nickname “Long-Way Mike.” ('Sad') But in my defense “I got there.” ('Smile')
And I’m not sure that the PortableAppMenu downloadable from PortableApp.com will work with all portable apps, such as those downloadable from pendriveapps.com or those portable apps you’ve created with PortableAppCreator. Moreover, as I noted in the following thread, you may not have to, or want to, install a wine app to drive_c/Program Files. Some can be launched regardless of where they are on your computer such as, of course, a USB Key.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=398312#398312
Essentially, getting a listing of a portable app on your Puppy Menu is a two step process, in revere order for clarity: (1) create a desktop file which will be used by the Menu, and (2) create a script to call the executable, which script will be used by the desktop file. If you want your Menu to display an icon, you’ll need additional steps to create (or flinch) an appropriate icon and place it where Puppy can find it, such as in usr/share/pixmaps.

Creating the executable script:
Browse to /usr/bin. [usr/sbin and usr/opt may also be possible –I’m not certain regarding what Puppy includes in its executable path]. Right-click an empty space and select New>Script. Give it a unique name: for example, you probably shouldn’t use “Firefox” if you installed a Firefox pet, or use a Firefox SFS. For the sake of clarity, lets assume that the name of the portable app’s executable is MyApp.EXE. So we’ll name the script “myapp1" (without the quotes and adding a 1 to distinguish it from the installed myapp.pet). Leaving your filemanager open to /usr/bin, open a second window and browse to where MyApp.EXE is located. Note the path. Now Right-Click your myapp1 script-file and select “Open as Text.” Below “#! /bin/sh” start a new line. If, for example, Puppy saw MyApp.EXE as being in MYAPPFOLDER on sdb1, your code would be:

wine /mnt/sdb1/MYAPPFOLDER/MyApp.EXE. [Note the space only after wine].

If Puppy saw it as being on its home drive/partition, the code would be:

wine /mnt/home/MYAPPFOLDER/MyApp.EXE.

And if the app had been installed to drive_c/Program Files, the code would be:

wine /root/.wine/drive_c/‘Program Files’/MYAPPFOLDER/MyApp.EXE.

Note the “.” before “wine” and the ( ' )’s bracketing Program Files. Quotes are needed as BASH will otherwise see Program as the end of the “word” and report “File Not Found.” [I’m very much a newbie in BASH. I think soft-quotes (“) might also be used, but applied Murphy’s Law].
SAVE and Close myapp1 script. Now left click it. MyApp.EXE should open. If not, reopen myapp1 as text and check your spelling and punctuation. Remember BASH is case sensitive.

See http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SoftwarePackageCreation for what is required by desktop files, and also the appropriate format for icons. I think, but am not certain, that a desktop file will function without an icon designation.

Creating the desktop file:
Now browse to /usr/share/applications/ where you can also “Open as Text” other desktop files of apps similar to MyApp.EXE to see what they’ve placed after “Categories=.” Note that there are no spaces before or after the = sign. [Hint: If you leave one open, you can copy & paste into the one you’re about to create.] Right-click an empty space on the browser window and select New>Blank File. Give it a name, such as myapp1.desktop, and click create. Right-Click myapp1.desktop, and select Open as Text. Enter the parameters for your app, the important one being Exec=myapp1. Save and Close. You may have to restart your window-manager to see the listing on the Menu.

My apologies if I’ve been verbose or appeared demeaning. While I’m sure BigMike and tlchost don’t need detailed instructions, I wrote the foregoing for any newbie who might stumble upon it. And in the end, I got there.('Laughing')

mikesLr

P.S. Adding a 2nd portable App goes quicker, since when you create their script and desktop files you can open the ones you already created, copy, paste then edit where necessary.

Link error corrected

Aitch Smile
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2011, 17:23    Post subject:  

Why did I come to this thread thinking I would be listening to a debate about fruit-based alcoholic beverages...?

Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: