LAN Connection Problem

pdaplyn

LAN Connection Problem

#1 Post by pdaplyn »

Hi,

I'm new to Puppy Linux, and it looks perfect to breathe new life into my old laptop if I can just get this network connection issue resolved...

I've got a Thinkpad 600E with a PCMCIA network card ("Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56") connected to a Netgear ADSL router.

I'm running Puppy 4.3.1. The network connection wizard detects the network card automatically (using module xirc2ps_cs) but I can't get it to actually connect.

Using the Auto DHCP option I just get APIPA addresses assigned. I've also tried setting up with the Static IP option, but can't get that working either.

At no point has the router detected the laptop as an "attached device".

Does anyone have any tips to try and get the connection working? Please let me know if I've missed out any critical info that could help diagnose the issue.

Many thanks!

rjbrewer

Re: LAN Connection Problem

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

pdaplyn wrote:Hi,

I'm new to Puppy Linux, and it looks perfect to breathe new life into my old laptop if I can just get this network connection issue resolved...

I've got a Thinkpad 600E with a PCMCIA network card ("Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56") connected to a Netgear ADSL router.

I'm running Puppy 4.3.1. The network connection wizard detects the network card automatically (using module xirc2ps_cs) but I can't get it to actually connect.

Using the Auto DHCP option I just get APIPA addresses assigned. I've also tried setting up with the Static IP option, but can't get that working either.

At no point has the router detected the laptop as an "attached device".

Does anyone have any tips to try and get the connection working? Please let me know if I've missed out any critical info that could help diagnose the issue.

Many thanks!

Type the word xircom in the "search" window at top of page and
you will find a number of posts on that subject.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs