gimp -save as xpm-plugin-error [solved]

Please post any bugs you have found
MU

gimp -save as xpm-plugin-error [solved]

#1 Post by MU »

Since 107 I cannot save files as xpm in gimp, I get a plugin-error.
Other programs like mtpaint can save.

Mark
Last edited by MU on Thu 12 Jan 2006, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

Two bits of info needed here. Your Gimp version, and error messages. Start Gimp from the console and try it, then post the errors please.

I can't think of anything GTK related that upgraded or was removed in 107, so this is a bit of a mystery for me.

Nathan

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

I get the same error, but am away from my Puppy mahine at the moment to get the exact error for you. I downloaded Gimp2 from PupGet.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

The commandline gives no hint:
# gimp2 /usr/share/mini-icons/mini-xjewel.xpm
#

Also /tmp/xerrs.txt has no entries from that.

This is what I get, when I try to save:

Mark

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

That particular error message 'usually' means that the plugin is either missing or not loading correctly in Gimp. It can also mean that you don't have write permission (unlikely running as root). I looked over the package and it looks okay, although the directory layout is a little odd for the way Gimp normally compiles.

Gimp has several debugging features. With it open you can check whether the plugin has been loaded or not. On the main toolbox there is a menu labeled 'Xtns'. Go there and open the procedure browser and make sure that there is an entry for 'file_xpm_save'. If there isn't then that means the xpm plugin isn't loading for some reason.

You can also use the error console feature, which can be accessed from the dialogs menu. I'm guessing that this won't help, however, since when you started it from a console there were no error messages.

All of these types of functions in Gimp are done by the means of plugins, hence the error message you're getting. The plugins for Barry's Gimp package are located in /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins. You can check whether it's there physically if it turns out that it isn't loading. If it's there then I'd go on to the next step,but first go ahead and run 'ldd xpm' while you're in that directory to see if there's any missing dependencies. That's not likely, however, because you'd be getting a wire-read error at startup if a plugin was missing a dependency.

First a bit of theory. Puppy's library search path goes in this order:

/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/root/my-applications/lib

But it doesn't check in /usr/local/lib. This is what surprised me about how Barry set up the package, because he left that part of it in /usr/local/lib instead of moving it to /usr/lib. The program might be missing that directory altogether, in which case none of the plugins would load. You can try symlinking /usr/local/lib/gimp to /usr/lib/gimp, or add /usr/local/lib to your library search path by editing /etc/profile and rebooting. I've already made this change in Grafpup just to make it easier to keep track of Gimp and Cinepaint. I could compile both and specify the libs go in /usr/lib while the binaries go in /usr/local/bin, but I'd rather have all of it under one prefix (I'm only putting libraries for those two programs in that location. All other libs go into /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib.).

If this is indeed the problem then Barry may have redone something in /etc/profile for this release and forgotten to account for the Gimp package. This isn't a criticism but an observation.

I hope something here helps, but if not I'm sure it can still be figured out. If not I'll provide you with a package that I know WILL work in Puppy 107.

Nathan

MU

#6 Post by MU »

Thanks Nathan, with your instructions I could isolate the error.

It seems /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11 is broken.

I replaced it with the one from X.org 6.8.2 from MDK 9.2, and now it works.
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/libXpm.so.4.11.pup (37 kb)

Now I can save with Gimp2 and Gimp 1.2 (that loads much faster) :-)

Many Thanks, Mark
Gimp 1.2: http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Graphics/