Cups of wine! [SOLVED]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
davids45

Cups of wine! [SOLVED]

#1 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Just bought a colour laser printer (Fuji Xerox C1110) from a local special offer (AU$298). I was having a problem with my old Doorstop-rated color laser printer so thought this could be good buy as Fuji did list a Linux driver for the C1110. And it has an ethernet connection, and weighs less than 20kg.

The printer zip file from the FujiXerox site was an rpm but MU's Muppy-Filer had no problem in expanding this so I could copy the files to the /etc and /usr directories (thanks, MU, your filer is a great tool).

Set iup the printer with a static IP address and by using Patriot's Cups 1.3.11 pet (thanks, Patriot - I had to install this over some other Cups that had missing options in a few Pups), I was able to install the printer and print off the test page from a few full install Pups. I'll see how I go with my more than twenty frugals - must set up an sfs somehow.

But back on topic .... much of what I print is from specialty Windows programs. Many of these programs run under wine (1.1.40). I tried a few of these programs and unfortunately nothing happened. One try with Word97 reported a "broken pipe" which a re-install of the printer fixed. Word97 froze.
My map printing program seemed to be communicating with the printer but nothing printed in several tries. A map exported as an EPS would print via The Gimp but at a slight loss of image quality so I'd like to print the "native" file (like I can with XP).

So after one night's fiddling, I had no success in printing anything from any wine programs.

Has anyone had any joy with Puppy, Wine and a colour printer?

Thanks for your time,

David S.
Last edited by davids45 on Thu 18 Mar 2010, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you set the Xerox as the default printer?

What does The [spooler] section of your wine.conf look like?

Have you tried setting up the Xerox as a local USB printer?

Also,
Even when you have CUPS working for native Linux programs it still may
not work for programs run under Wine. The solution is to make sure that
Basic Server settings have "Publish shared printers" and "Allow printing
from the Internet" selected. This is needed because Wine connects to
CUPS using the network printing mechanism: this is off by default in
many distros and IIRC Ubuntu is one of them.

You can find these settings by going to 'System: Administration:
Printing' and click 'Server' on the Printer Configuration menu.

davids45

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Thanks for the quick and useful looking reply.
I have set the colour laser as default and it shows up as such in the various program menus when I click on their "Print" options.

I'm at work at the moment but will look at the spooler part of the wine conf files tonight at home.

I did not try the usb connection install for the printer but can do with a Pup as a test. I need the printer as a network printer for others to use on the home network.

I'll pursue the comments in the quotation you've posted as it looks like the problem I've got and hopefully, is also the solution.

The CUPS option I used to locate the printer was, after guessing the "ipp" selection, to enter "socket://192.168.2.110" (the IP address of the printer) - this part I found very un-obvious from the "examples" given by CUPS, so I trust it is adequate.

Thanks again,

David S.

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

i had problems with wine and a printer as well

i installed an app to maintain my epson, the ink waste tray fills up and they stop working, you can "clear" it with the app

it worked, up to a point

that point was, i could never get the thing to actually communicate with the printer

i tried installing the windows driver under wine, but that went funny too [sorry, it's been a while]

and i think that might have been the root of the problem? win apps needing the printer driver and not finding it?

[no help at all here, sorry]

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

@davids45:

When you change the above server settings, CUPS will ask you to authenticate. Use the login name "root" and password "woofwoof".

davids45

#6 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Thanks to your excellent advice and Ubuntu-sleuthing, I now can print to my new colour laser from my several wine-run programs.

Checking the allow internet printing boxes in the Cups printer options seemed to be the fix needed.

David S.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.

Wine users who have a Puppy with the the old CUPS 1.1.23 will not see your problem because that version automatically publishes its printers.

[Edit] As a test, I installed the latest Wine PET in Puppy 4.3.1 with CUPS 1.3.11. I did NOT change any of the CUPS settings. I then ran some basic Wine apps like Notepad and Irfanview. In all cases, my printers (both local USB and networked) were detected and handled print jobs correctly.

I don't have any large apps like Word97 to test, but I'm curious why they would require a change in the CUPS settings.