DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
ejb

Re: DUDE 0.3 fixmenus problem

#121 Post by ejb »

zigbert wrote:
ejb wrote:Zigbert,

I was using ch4-alsa-streamtuner-3.sfs from choicepup 431. I started from scratch again. Reinstalled lupu500, pwidgets, dude-0.3 and added the sfs file via bootmanager. This time it worked perfectly. Obviously, I must have messed something up the first try. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for a great tool.

Ed
I really appreciate that you give this feedback, instead of letting me in complete darkness hunting non-existing bugs.......

Sigmund
Zigbert,

I went back and reconstructed this issue again. I was using SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4 to load the alsa-streamtuner sfs file. That results in the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications being a symlink to the sfs file. When I did this with dude-0.21, the applications still ended up in /usr/share/stardust/bin/ as expected. With dude-0.3 they do not. The updated fixmenus in dude-0.3 does not seem to like the symlinked .desktop files.

I'm not sure if this is a dude or a sfs_linker problem. Hopefully, this helps.

Thanks,
Ed

Jim1911

#122 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi zigbert,

I'm having the same problem with sfs not showing up in the default location using DuDE-0.3 when trying to edit favorites. This is in a fresh frugal installation of quirky-1.1. The desktop files of the offenders are below:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/openofficeorg3-writer.png
Comment=OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor
Exec=swriter
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WordProcessor
GenericName=OpenOffice Writer wordprocessor

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox web browser
Icon=/usr/lib/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png
Comment=Firefox web browser
Exec=/usr/bin/firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=Firefox web browser
On the problem I mentioned in a previous post about ppm in Lucid-5.0, that was not with a fresh save file.

With a new frugal installation of lupu-5.0, ppm working flawlessly. DuDE was installed first, followed by additional applications. Most programs were recognized by DuDE, no problems with sfs file recognition as occurred in quirky. However, there were two problems with /usr/share/applications desktop files not being recognized.
1. thunderbird.desktop linked to /mnt/home/thunderbird/thunderbird
2. amarok.desktop located in /usr/share/applications/kde

So there is still a problem with files in sub-directories and with linked files. Executable programs that run under wine are recognized.

Cheers,
Jim

DaveS

#123 Post by DaveS »

This is REALLY nice. Adds pshutdown dialogue to favorites. I find I use it all the time

Here is what I added to /usr/sbin/fixmenus_favorites

<Program icon=\"shutdown24.png\" label=\"  Shutdown/Restart\">exec /usr/sbin/pshutdown</Program>
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#124 Post by Jim1911 »

Have you setup general settings under Edit Favorites? If you have a three button mouse, you can take advantage of all the settings. I use mouse-wheel Down to get the shutdown menu, then you have easy access to the whole menu, much better than just one item.

DaveS

#125 Post by DaveS »

Jim1911 wrote:Have you setup general settings under Edit Favorites? If you have a three button mouse, you can take advantage of all the settings. I use mouse-wheel Down to get the shutdown menu, then you have easy access to the whole menu, much better than just one item.
No just a laptop with a sketchy old touchpad and two buttons :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#126 Post by Béèm »

I just realized that DuDE is Stardus as used in 440CE.
I installed DuDE in Lucid 5.00rc3
It seems to work.
I did this install as I appreciate very much the control center.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#127 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:I just realized that DuDE is Stardus as used in 440CE.
It seems to work.
Maybe I spoke too soon.
I have indeed a question, don't know id it's a bug.
I see I have 4 desktop icons and wanted to change.
In the control center only 2 are configured, so why do I have 4?
Also I like to run only with one and the minimum setting is 2. Why can't I set 1?
Time savers:

Jim1911

#128 Post by Jim1911 »

Béèm wrote:
It seems to work.
Maybe I spoke too soon.
Also I like to run only with one and the minimum setting is 2. Why can't I set 1?
You can have as many or as few desktop icons as you desire. To remove icons, right click and select remove item. To quickly add icons, click on the little white line at the left side of the screen and add as many as you want. You can also copy application.desktop files from /usr/share/applications. Make sure that you go to /root/Choices/Roxfiler and make a backup of your PuppyPin file, because that file is automatically renewed when you add an sfs file or make any other changes. To restore your desktop just copy your backup PuppyPin over the renewed copy.

Have fun exploring DuDE's features and enjoy your additional control of your desktop and menus.

Béèm

#129 Post by Béèm »

Jim1911 wrote:
Béèm wrote:
It seems to work.
Maybe I spoke too soon.
You can have as many or as few desktop icons as you desire. To remove icons, right click and select remove item. To quickly add icons, click on the little white line at the left side of the screen and add as many as you want. You can also copy application.desktop files from /usr/share/applications. Make sure that you go to /root/Choices/Roxfiler and make a backup of your PuppyPin file, because that file is automatically renewed when you add an sfs file or make any other changes. To restore your desktop just copy your backup PuppyPin over the renewed copy.

Have fun exploring DuDE's features and enjoy your additional control of your desktop and menus.
I don't have a little white line at the left.
I went into the control center again and changed the n° of desktops by hand to one, as the pull down doesn't permit to go lower then 2.
I pushed apply and save changes.
But now I have still 2 desktop icons in the tray, but at the right of the time.
The picture shows my selection of one, but in the left pane still 2 is shown.
I am puzzled.
Attachments
Dude-desktops.png
(96.3 KiB) Downloaded 847 times
Time savers:

zigbert

#130 Post by zigbert »

ejb wrote:I went back and reconstructed this issue again. I was using SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4 to load the alsa-streamtuner sfs file. That results in the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications being a symlink to the sfs file. When I did this with dude-0.21, the applications still ended up in /usr/share/stardust/bin/ as expected. With dude-0.3 they do not. The updated fixmenus in dude-0.3 does not seem to like the symlinked .desktop files.
Could you try to remove line 22 in /usr/sbin/fixmenus:

[ ! -f "$APP" ] && continue #dir ?

Thank you
Sigmund

zigbert

#131 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:So there is still a problem with files in sub-directories and with linked files. Executable programs that run under wine are recognized.
I think linked files should be detected by changing/deleting line 22

Problems with .desktop files in subdir must be something more, - I added pmusic in /usr/share/applications/test/pmusic.desktop and it was detected just fine........do you have any more information?

zigbert

#132 Post by zigbert »

Béèm
You forgot to add the new settings of 1 virtual desktop.
1. enter 1 as number of desktops
2. press the add-button (+)
3. Apply and save changes.

Sigmund

ejb

#133 Post by ejb »

zigbert wrote:
ejb wrote:I went back and reconstructed this issue again. I was using SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4 to load the alsa-streamtuner sfs file. That results in the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications being a symlink to the sfs file. When I did this with dude-0.21, the applications still ended up in /usr/share/stardust/bin/ as expected. With dude-0.3 they do not. The updated fixmenus in dude-0.3 does not seem to like the symlinked .desktop files.
Could you try to remove line 22 in /usr/sbin/fixmenus:

[ ! -f "$APP" ] && continue #dir ?

Thank you
Sigmund
Line 22 is:

#continue loop as fast as possible

Line 24 is:

[ ! -f /usr/share/applications/$TMP ] && continue #dir ?

I backed up fixmenus, deleted line 24 and reran fiixmenus. Streamtuner still does not show up in /usr/share/stardust/bin/.

Sorry

Jim1911

#134 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:So there is still a problem with files in sub-directories and with linked files. Executable programs that run under wine are recognized.
I think linked files should be detected by changing/deleting line 22

Problems with .desktop files in subdir must be something more, - I added pmusic in /usr/share/applications/test/pmusic.desktop and it was detected just fine........do you have any more information?
Amarok is an sfs file along with it being placed in the kde subdirectory. Nothing unusual about the .desktop file unless you consider Exec=amarok %U as unusual. Deleting %U did not help. I also placed Homebank.desktop in a subdirectory and it did show up, however, I discovered that it had already been detected before I placed it in a subdirectory. I then deleted the file in .stardust ran fixmenus and restartX and the Homebank.desktop was not detected. Rebooted and still not detected. Clicked on the /usr/share/applications/homebank.desktop file and it ran fine. There is still a problem with detecting files in a subdirectory.

Thunderbird.desktop, a linked file, still was not detected after commenting out line 22 of fixmenus.

Cheers,
Jim

Béèm

#135 Post by Béèm »

zigbert wrote:Béèm
You forgot to add the new settings of 1 virtual desktop.
1. enter 1 as number of desktops
2. press the add-button (+)
3. Apply and save changes.

Sigmund
Thank you zigbert.
I hadn't realized the + action was needed.
All is well now.

Now I could recover in the same way the freemem and blinky icons.
But I discovered an issue. When having done this, I had again 2 desktop icons, as the 1 I put by hand didn't stick and reverted to 2.
So I had to redo the operation to have 1 desktop icon.
Time savers:

zigbert

#136 Post by zigbert »

Here is an updated fixmenus that fixes the symlinked .desktop files.

Regarding Jims subdirectory mystery, I don't have a solution yet. - I am simply not able to make fixmenus fail with .desktop files placed in subdirs. Jim, can you point me to an app I can install that fails?

Sigmund
Attachments
fixmenus.tar.gz
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

Jim1911

#137 Post by Jim1911 »

Just try Amarok from Quickpet > SFS > SFS Support. That is the application that puts it's .desktop in /usr/share/applications/kde and alerted me to the problem.
Jim

ejb

#138 Post by ejb »

zigbert wrote:Here is an updated fixmenus that fixes the symlinked .desktop files.

Regarding Jims subdirectory mystery, I don't have a solution yet. - I am simply not able to make fixmenus fail with .desktop files placed in subdirs. Jim, can you point me to an app I can install that fails?

Sigmund
I tested the symlinked .desktop files. They now work properly.

Thank you Thank you,
Ed

zigbert

#139 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:Just try Amarok from Quickpet > SFS > SFS Support. That is the application that puts it's .desktop in /usr/share/applications/kde and alerted me to the problem.
Jim
Ok, I fired up Puppy 5 to give it a try.... I don't know how SFS works, but it seems that fixmenus somehow didn't run. After installing a new pet or running 'fixmenus' from terminal, Amarok showed up just fine.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#140 Post by technosaurus »

I grew tired of the formatting and features in pprocess so I hacked and compiled the xfce4-taskmanager to work with Puppy (18kb pet) and included the Puppy Control Center as one of the programs it can start (amongst other non-DuDe programs). Currently it is just calling pcc, but if you have some suggestions for improvement let me know.

it is in this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=421488
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].