DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
zigbert

#136 Post by zigbert »

Here is an updated fixmenus that fixes the symlinked .desktop files.

Regarding Jims subdirectory mystery, I don't have a solution yet. - I am simply not able to make fixmenus fail with .desktop files placed in subdirs. Jim, can you point me to an app I can install that fails?

Sigmund
Attachments
fixmenus.tar.gz
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

Jim1911

#137 Post by Jim1911 »

Just try Amarok from Quickpet > SFS > SFS Support. That is the application that puts it's .desktop in /usr/share/applications/kde and alerted me to the problem.
Jim

ejb

#138 Post by ejb »

zigbert wrote:Here is an updated fixmenus that fixes the symlinked .desktop files.

Regarding Jims subdirectory mystery, I don't have a solution yet. - I am simply not able to make fixmenus fail with .desktop files placed in subdirs. Jim, can you point me to an app I can install that fails?

Sigmund
I tested the symlinked .desktop files. They now work properly.

Thank you Thank you,
Ed

zigbert

#139 Post by zigbert »

Jim1911 wrote:Just try Amarok from Quickpet > SFS > SFS Support. That is the application that puts it's .desktop in /usr/share/applications/kde and alerted me to the problem.
Jim
Ok, I fired up Puppy 5 to give it a try.... I don't know how SFS works, but it seems that fixmenus somehow didn't run. After installing a new pet or running 'fixmenus' from terminal, Amarok showed up just fine.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#140 Post by technosaurus »

I grew tired of the formatting and features in pprocess so I hacked and compiled the xfce4-taskmanager to work with Puppy (18kb pet) and included the Puppy Control Center as one of the programs it can start (amongst other non-DuDe programs). Currently it is just calling pcc, but if you have some suggestions for improvement let me know.

it is in this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=421488
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#141 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
xfce4-taskmanager works great, but what I miss the most is the search-function. I most often know what to kill, but to find it in the list is harder. Especially in the later releases of Puppy/DuDE which have more background processes, and the list in the taskmanager is loooong.

I have personally nothing against replacing Pprocess, but it could also be an interesting weekend-project to improve Pprocess. What are the limitations/weaknesses of Pprocess compared to the xfce4-taskmanager? In the end, - all that we want is a taskmanager that pleases us.

If you find out how to override ctrl+alt+esc, please share. - it would be a logical option to set in DuDE.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#142 Post by technosaurus »

We figured out how to make ctrl+alt+delete (not sure about escape) work in 4.2.X if I recall... some other puplets as well

Pprocess is ok for what it is, but I like being able to kill a process or make it "nice" through a quick right click menu instead of having to navigate the cramped right-side menus for each process.

xfce4-taskmanager is only 39kb (just slightly larger in the scheme of things), starts faster and uses fewer resource than pprocess (things that a rewrite won't fix) and it has had quite a bit of development already with most of the bugs worked out and nice little extra features like ram and cpu monitor and preference settings.

How is something like this for a "search" function...?

killall `Xdialog --stdout --inputbox "enter program name to kill" 0 0`

#it won't do tab completion though :( ... maybe something with find
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#143 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus wrote:starts faster and uses fewer resource than pprocess (things that a rewrite won't fix)
Absolutely true!!!!

But xfce4-taskmanager inspired me, so I will anyway ship a Pprocess2 with much improved / simplified use. List updates every second, easy filtering, click to kill, moving watching of log-files to pcc, faster startup,

Sigmund

technosaurus

#144 Post by technosaurus »

Zigbert, pprocess2 looks good so far - At the rate you are going, you'll have an entire OS GUI written in gtkdialog

You must be psychic or something though. This was just committed:
3 hours Make SearchFunc for tree view case insensitivemaster ...
5 hours Use a personal SearchFunc for the tree view ...
I haven't tried it out yet. It does seem that pprocess used a little less CPU
The latest commits also mostly replace the need for top/htop.
The hacks that I added are mainly targeted toward functions to ease transition for long time M$ users. I posted a new & improved version this morning, but let me know if you have suggestions to make it better integrate with DuDE (for instance when starting PCC should I add a parameter to make it go to a certain menu ... I don't often use those functions)

zigbert

#145 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus wrote:I posted a new & improved version this morning, but let me know if you have suggestions to make it better integrate with DuDE (for instance when starting PCC should I add a parameter to make it go to a certain menu ...
I will upgrade pcc with a new tab 'Processes' where user can watch kernel messages etc. It will also include a link to xfce4-taskmanager or Pprocess. - whatever is available. This is great stuff, - let's put just a little effort in both solutions, and then see what fits us best.

Sigmund

zigbert

#146 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
start pcc with process-tab like this

Code: Select all

pcc -p processes
it will start either pprocess OR xfce4-taskmanager from the 'process manager button'

Attachments
pcc.tar.gz
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

stu90

#147 Post by stu90 »

New Dark/metallic theme for dude.

Image Image

Loads into new global them
adds 4 new GTK/JWM dark themes
adds new icon set
adds new wallpapers
adds new volume icon
adds new rox-filer tool bar icons
adds some (not all) GTK and Mime icons
adds freespace to jwm-tray
adds new blinky to jwm-tray

download 787.53KB
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gusush

removes connect and trash icons from desktop + any icons you have previously added, so you will need to re add them - also best to change colours in rox filer options.

zigbert

#148 Post by zigbert »

DuDE's not dead :D
Just a reminder that things are happening.... Favorites menu supports URLs

zigbert

#149 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus

This starts Pprocess with hotkey Ctrl+Alt+Delete in JWM.

<Key mask="AC" key="Delete">exec:pprocess</Key>
Will be in DuDE 0.4

Sigmund

zigbert

#150 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.4
See main post

Not to much new fancy stuff here. DuDE 0.3 worked just fine, so this is more like polishing. The 2 major improvements is URLs in the Favorites menu, and extended use of hot-keys. Read more in the second post.

There are still items in my todo-list, so I will continue to make our dude even better. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Sigmund

--------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog
- Define URL in Favorites menu.
- Improved user interface in Pmenu-Favorites.
- PCC has got a new 'Processes' tab.
- Use optical48.png as Rox MIME for iso-image. (thanks to stu90)
- cleanup menu in pinstall.sh
- Quickpet button in pcc (thanks to 01micko)
- Ctrl+Alt+Delete opens Pprocess
- Ctrl+Alt+x opens Pshutdown
- Alt+Up and Alt+Down adjusts volume (requires Pmusic)
- Alt+right/left goes to next/previous song in Pmusic playlist
- Ptray has got new button beside 'Dock area' with info about tray-apps.
- Updated globicons with news in Quirky 1.2
- Updated pcc (for Quirky) with set_hwclock_type, gtkLPQ, ipinfo and grub4dos (if exist)
- Updated fixmenus, fixmenus_favorites, pmenu, pcc, ptheme
- Bugfix: improved detection of description for Favorites menu (thanks to DaveS)
- Bugfix: improved detection of most-used apps
- Bugfix: detection of symlinked .desktop files (thanks to ejb)
- Bugfix: Pmenu created /root/gtk - debug file (thanks to DaveS)
- Bugfix: Mouse-theme was lost when activating Ptheme without mouse-theme defined.

Jim1911

#151 Post by Jim1911 »

Installed DuDE-0.4 over DuDE-0.3 running with luci-004. So far I've noted no problems or differences except for the corners, MicksClock shows up as a small black rectangle, see attached.
Attachments
desktop.png
(169.84 KiB) Downloaded 722 times

01micko

#152 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:Installed DuDE-0.4 over DuDE-0.3 running with luci-004. So far I've noted no problems or differences except for the corners, MicksClock shows up as a small black rectangle, see attached.
Hi Jim

That's because Barry has ditched yaf-splash in woof in favour of gtkdialog-splash. A bit disappointing in my opinion, it also breaks my PCountdown timer as yaf-splash has a timer function as well as the clock.

Yaf-splash is still there, but it might need the call directly to it's location in /usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash

Cheers

Some time later....

Jim, here's a pet for micksclock, it calls yaf-splash just like I said earlier.

Sigmund, this is probably the best solution because yaf-splash, AFAIK is in /usr/X11R7/bin in all Puppies.
Attachments
micksclock-1.pet
(635 Bytes) Downloaded 640 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#153 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote: Jim, here's a pet for micksclock, it calls yaf-splash just like I said earlier.
Can't believe how quick you are. Works good in luci-2.0.5. One problem though, the font is small, how is that changed?

Thanks,
Jim

01micko

#154 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim

Do you mean tiny as in only a few pixels high? (The font that is). I have seen this before and am trying to debug it.

Can you do me a favour and run "MicksClock" in a terminal, then just click it as normal to kill it and post the terminal error if any. I suspect you will get "can't load font" or some such error.

I have MicksClock running perfectly in 205 but am yet to install DuDE.

Cheers

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sometime later... again.....

Jim, I've got to the bottom of it, a bug in Luci. mkfontscale and mkfontdir are missing! So, when Pwidgets are installed the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files go awol. Not good. Yaf-splash must read these to scale the font.

Solution.

Install attached pet, in a term run

# mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF
# mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF 
Restart X.

All fixed. :)
Attachments
font-utils-1.pet
(13.64 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

01micko

#155 Post by 01micko »

Ah, I have fonts on the brain.. that's a good thing Sigmund :wink:

Have some fun with this... :D

#!/bin/sh
#syntax: MicksClock bgcolor fgcolor abbr-font-name (dejavu, ionic, monofonto)
BG=$1; [ ! "$BG" ] && BG=black
FG=$2; [ ! "$FG" ] && FG=gray15

HEIGHT=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f2 -d 'x' | cut -f1 -d '+'`
WIDTH=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d 'x'`
SIZE=$((HEIGHT/5))
#PLACEMENT_X=$((RANDOM % 200))
#PLACEMENT_Y=$((RANDOM % 200))
#added different fonts #Mick
FONT=$3; [ ! "$FONT" ] && FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
if [[ $3 == "dejavu" ]]; then FONT="$FONT"
	elif [[ $3 == "ionic" ]]; then FONT="-misc-ionic charge-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "monofonto" ]]; then FONT="-larabiefonts-monofonto-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
fi
/usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash -font "$FONT" -bg $BG -fg $FG -outline 0 -clock -geometry $((WIDTH+PLACEMENT_X))x$((HEIGHT+PLACEMENT_Y))+0+0
:D Cheers