DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jim1911

#151 Post by Jim1911 »

Installed DuDE-0.4 over DuDE-0.3 running with luci-004. So far I've noted no problems or differences except for the corners, MicksClock shows up as a small black rectangle, see attached.
Attachments
desktop.png
(169.84 KiB) Downloaded 722 times

01micko

#152 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:Installed DuDE-0.4 over DuDE-0.3 running with luci-004. So far I've noted no problems or differences except for the corners, MicksClock shows up as a small black rectangle, see attached.
Hi Jim

That's because Barry has ditched yaf-splash in woof in favour of gtkdialog-splash. A bit disappointing in my opinion, it also breaks my PCountdown timer as yaf-splash has a timer function as well as the clock.

Yaf-splash is still there, but it might need the call directly to it's location in /usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash

Cheers

Some time later....

Jim, here's a pet for micksclock, it calls yaf-splash just like I said earlier.

Sigmund, this is probably the best solution because yaf-splash, AFAIK is in /usr/X11R7/bin in all Puppies.
Attachments
micksclock-1.pet
(635 Bytes) Downloaded 640 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#153 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote: Jim, here's a pet for micksclock, it calls yaf-splash just like I said earlier.
Can't believe how quick you are. Works good in luci-2.0.5. One problem though, the font is small, how is that changed?

Thanks,
Jim

01micko

#154 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim

Do you mean tiny as in only a few pixels high? (The font that is). I have seen this before and am trying to debug it.

Can you do me a favour and run "MicksClock" in a terminal, then just click it as normal to kill it and post the terminal error if any. I suspect you will get "can't load font" or some such error.

I have MicksClock running perfectly in 205 but am yet to install DuDE.

Cheers

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sometime later... again.....

Jim, I've got to the bottom of it, a bug in Luci. mkfontscale and mkfontdir are missing! So, when Pwidgets are installed the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files go awol. Not good. Yaf-splash must read these to scale the font.

Solution.

Install attached pet, in a term run

Code: Select all

# mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF
# mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF 
Restart X.

All fixed. :)
Attachments
font-utils-1.pet
(13.64 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

01micko

#155 Post by 01micko »

Ah, I have fonts on the brain.. that's a good thing Sigmund :wink:

Have some fun with this... :D

#!/bin/sh
#syntax: MicksClock bgcolor fgcolor abbr-font-name (dejavu, ionic, monofonto)
BG=$1; [ ! "$BG" ] && BG=black
FG=$2; [ ! "$FG" ] && FG=gray15

HEIGHT=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f2 -d 'x' | cut -f1 -d '+'`
WIDTH=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d 'x'`
SIZE=$((HEIGHT/5))
#PLACEMENT_X=$((RANDOM % 200))
#PLACEMENT_Y=$((RANDOM % 200))
#added different fonts #Mick
FONT=$3; [ ! "$FONT" ] && FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
if [[ $3 == "dejavu" ]]; then FONT="$FONT"
	elif [[ $3 == "ionic" ]]; then FONT="-misc-ionic charge-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "monofonto" ]]; then FONT="-larabiefonts-monofonto-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
fi
/usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash -font "$FONT" -bg $BG -fg $FG -outline 0 -clock -geometry $((WIDTH+PLACEMENT_X))x$((HEIGHT+PLACEMENT_Y))+0+0
:D Cheers

zigbert

#156 Post by zigbert »

Mick
I have updated MicksClock with your code that fixes both
- path to yaf-splash
- font improvement.

What do you think we should do with the loss of mkfontscale and mkfontdir. Are they meant to be in Lupu, or should we include them into Pwidgets?

Makes me happy that you feel 'fonty' these days :wink:
Sigmund

01micko

#157 Post by 01micko »

Hi Sigmund

It's a Luci bug in the beta versions, mkfontscale and mkfontdir will be in the next version I'm sure :wink: . I have reported it in the Luci-205 thread. They exist in Puppy 5.

Also there is a small bug in my code just above your post, here's the updated script:

#!/bin/sh
#syntax: MicksClock bgcolor fgcolor abbr-font-name (dejavu, ionic, monofonto)
BG=$1; [ ! "$BG" ] && BG=black
FG=$2; [ ! "$FG" ] && FG=gray15

HEIGHT=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f2 -d 'x' | cut -f1 -d '+'`
WIDTH=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d 'x'`
SIZE=$((HEIGHT/5))
#PLACEMENT_X=$((RANDOM % 200))
#PLACEMENT_Y=$((RANDOM % 200))
#added different fonts #Mick
FONT=$3; [ ! "$FONT" ] && FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
if [[ $3 == "dejavu" ]]; then FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "ionic" ]]; then FONT="-misc-ionic charge-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "monofonto" ]]; then FONT="-larabiefonts-monofonto-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
fi
/usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash -font "$FONT" -bg $BG -fg $FG -outline 0 -clock -geometry $((WIDTH+PLACEMENT_X))x$((HEIGHT+PLACEMENT_Y))+0+0
Oh, forgot to mention those font calls depend on Pwidgets.

Cheers

zigbert

#158 Post by zigbert »

Also there is a small bug in my code just above your post
got it

Jim1911

#159 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Hi Jim
Jim, I've got to the bottom of it, a bug in Luci. mkfontscale and mkfontdir are missing! So, when Pwidgets are installed the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files go awol. Not good. Yaf-splash must read these to scale the font.

All fixed. :)
Yes, a few pixels high, and yes your pet corrected the problem. :D

@zigbert,
One for DuDE, under PCC Install menu, Quick install and Defaults both open the Defaults script.

Cheers,
Jim

zigbert

#160 Post by zigbert »

- fixed link to quickpet in pcc - thank Jim
- updated MicksClock - thank Mick

01micko

#161 Post by 01micko »

Sigmund, a request.

In Lupu we have a program called "browser-default" which changes whatever browser to the default as long as it is installed of course! It is executed by a JWM main tray button in between the "menu" button and the "desktop" buttons.

It scans the .desktop files for browsers, filters out the junk and caches the info in /tmp and adjusts "/usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser" accordingly. It also launches the browser with a splash if you change it, or no splash if you don't change it. It also displays the browser in the "tree" bar. It is designed to cater for the user that want's many browsers and no technical knowledge and also to be very unobtrusive.

As you can see I have made a DuDE compliant version, but it would be nice if it's presence is detected and DuDE makes the necessary adjustments to the Jwm main tray file.

At the moment I am storing the JWM adjustments in a temp folder and when the pinstall.sh runs it detects if DuDE is installed and takes the appropriate action.

Can you make DuDE compatible with "browser-default"? Will it clash at all with your "defaults chooser" in PCC? (I'm thinking it won't).

Of course no rush, current .pet attached.

Cheers

Mick
Attachments
browser-default-0.9.pet
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 610 times

technosaurus

#162 Post by technosaurus »

Not to be a nay-sayer, but the defaultbrowserchooser should probably be an optional component of ptray or integrated into pcc. Most users will expect a tray button in that location to actually start the defaultbrowser.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

01micko

#163 Post by 01micko »

technosaurus wrote:Not to be a nay-sayer, but the defaultbrowserchooser should probably be an optional component of ptray or integrated into pcc. Most users will expect a tray button in that location to actually start the defaultbrowser.
It does start the browser. The idea of it was a simple way in Puppy 5 to choose the default. It came about because if you uninstalled a browser there was no simple way to reset the default. Perhaps I should change the tooltip to "Change and launch browser" or something.

Possibly in DuDE your idea might be a good one.

Cheers

zigbert

#164 Post by zigbert »

defaultbrowserchooser

Hmm....some load thinking....
I don't use Puppy 5 on my daily desktop, so I have no experience with the actual use of defaultbrowserchooser. Thus, my opinions are lightweight.

As I see it, DuDE offers the same choice as defaultbrowserchooser with the defaultchooser. The user has to go through pcc, but I don't personally see the choice of browser more important than other default-apps. It sounds logical that if user installs a new browser, it will be the default. If not wanted, user have 2 obvious choices to override it. - Either reinstall the wanted browser, or change it in defaultchooser. In my eyes (from my current viewpoint) defaultbrowserchooser is pure overkill.

I feel a bit negative right now :)

Sigmund

Jim1911

#165 Post by Jim1911 »

zigbert wrote:defaultbrowserchooser
In my eyes (from my current viewpoint) defaultbrowserchooser is pure overkill.
Sigmund
I agree, for us DuDE users, however it's a great feature for the user of Lucid that is primarily concerned with the default browser and not other applications. That's one of the fine features of Lucid, to be able to easily download browser(s) of choice and make your choice default.

Although, as Mick said, "it would be nice if it's presence is detected and DuDE makes the necessary adjustments to the Jwm main tray file." Of course, it may be better for the "defaultbrowserchooser" to detect that DuDE is installed. Just assure that they don't conflict in DuDE.

It's super that DuDE works with every pup that I've tried, which is no easy task. You've succeeded in providing us the best feature of Stardust without having to stay with a 4.3.1 derivative.

Thanks,
Jim

01micko

#166 Post by 01micko »

Hi Sigmund

I guess if we all agreed on everything, things would be pretty boring! :lol:

As Jim said
Of course, it may be better for the "defaultbrowserchooser" to detect that DuDE is installed. Just assure that they don't conflict in DuDE.
....and it does do that, if one decides they want to use it. :)

That's good enough for me.

Cheers.

zigbert

#167 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:As Jim said
Of course, it may be better for the "defaultbrowserchooser" to detect that DuDE is installed. Just assure that they don't conflict in DuDE.
....and it does do that, if one decides they want to use it. :)
I guess this means defaultbrowserchooser has its own .desktop file, and are reachable from Ptray as a program button?
I guess if we all agreed on everything, things would be pretty boring!
The best about disagreement is that it forces us to think through our opinions. :)

Sigmund

01micko

#168 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:I guess this means defaultbrowserchooser has its own .desktop file, and are reachable from Ptray as a program button?

Sigmund
No. There is no need of a .desktop file for it. To choose to use it a user must install the pet. Which is just fine :) . That's why I made it DuDE compliant. If a user installed it previously in DuDE it broke the menus. Now it seems to play nice.

Cheers

Nooblet0218

#169 Post by Nooblet0218 »

this is gorgeous, so customizable, i love it. its helped me tweaked many little desktop things that bug me.

only thing though im having trouble tweaking, how can i change the menu button? i liked the old default lupu puppy button but i've had trouble figuring out how to set it back without going hunting for the picture currently in use and just replacing it with a symlink

zigbert

#170 Post by zigbert »

The menu-button is a part of the icon-themes. It is located in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/start-button.png. When you change icon-theme it will be overwritten by the menu-button in the chosen icon-theme. See /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/

Sigmund