DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
dawg

#196 Post by dawg »

Suggestion:
I think a screenshot or two somewhere at the beginning of this thread would help some people decide more easily whether they want to try out these apps.
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

zigbert

#197 Post by zigbert »

dawg
You're right, but sometimes you have to take a risc :D
DuDE was developed as a project to extend JWM in Puppy Stardust and later Puppy 4.4. When later Puppies hasn't adopted the idea of an 'improved' workflow on the Puppy desktop, it is perhaps best to lay low. There is no need of using too many resources on a private project. To help Puppy the best I can, I should work on stuff to improve the official release.

Sigmund

scsijon

#198 Post by scsijon »

I take it this is still the latest and greatest ziggy?

going to try it on a second copy of 525 :D

any known problems or gotya's?

thanks
scsijon

zigbert

#199 Post by zigbert »

scsijon
The biggest conflict is that DuDE does replace /usr/sbin/fixmenus with one heavily improved for JWM. It means you get trouble when going back to OpenBox and installs new programs. Maybe I update this someday, but to be honest, I do not understand the logic in having 2 default window managers. DuDE is built around JWM - ONLY.

Sigmund

scsijon

#200 Post by scsijon »

thanks ziggy, not a problem for me,

I only use jwm at present and i've modified the menu system anyway to suit me :lol: by putting groups as I want them

zigbert

#201 Post by zigbert »

If you have any suggestions to improving DuDE, please let us know.

Sigmund

sfoster

bug on X restart

#202 Post by sfoster »

Hello Zigbert,
I'm writing to report a problem with the DUDE package you wrote for puppy. On both occasions of my trying it, DUDE worked well in immediately after install, however when I restarted X as per the on-screen instructions, problems began happening. The first time around, the Jwm pineboard completely disappeared, leaving me with no way to access the menus. I don't remember the specifications for the first computer off the top of my head, other than the fact that it was a 2 GHz processor with 500 megs of RAM. But the second time I tried it was just now on a Dell latitude D610 laptop with 1.7 GHz, 500 MB of RAM and a Radeon Mobility X300 graphics card with 64 MB of memory. Once again, it worked okay until I restarted X. This time however, X didn't even restart properly and I was left with a bunch of weird lines on top of my screen. There were two other differences that may be of importance. The first time I tried DUDE, I didn't bother installing the key Pwidgets package. This time I did. I also used two different versions of Slacko. My most recent attempt was on the beta release, whereas the first one was on the one released just before that.

Now that Slacko appears to have Jwm as its main window manager again, DUDE seems like it would be a really neat package to include in the final release. Personally, I think things like Pshutdown help make puppy look a lot more professional. Should it ever come down to a vote, mine would be in favor of including DUDE. Thanks for such a neat package.
Yours,
S

EDIT:
I'm pretty sure its a slacko problem as apposed to a DUDE problem in the second case because I tried rebooting (to ram), doing an autoprobe for graphics cards then restarting X. Same problem. I tried rebooting again, autoprobing then selecting "test". The test worked, but I never got to jwm. Tried rebooting again, this time to Xvesa... never made it to the desktop. To see if the first problem persists, I will try again on a stable release.
S
EDIT 2:
Yep, its probably a slacko problem in the first case as well, because DUDE is running fine on my copy of puppy 525. I dont know if this makes any difference, but mine is a customized version of 525 with pwidgets installed, so I havent had the opportunity to test it without pwidgets.
S

Pelo

DuDe is so nice !

#203 Post by Pelo »

2011 it's a long time ago
I have just installed Dude on a Lucid 528 nite flux box. Both are well married !
Attachments
dude.jpg
Pwidget : I removed the cpu black panel, because i can't move it elsewhere.
(97.81 KiB) Downloaded 735 times

zigbert

#204 Post by zigbert »

Hello Pelo
Really great to hear that DuDE still can do the job. :D

Sigmund

Pelo

DuDe : on Kernel 3.0.25 !

#205 Post by Pelo »

DuDe : Masterpiece in dungeon ?
Lucid 5.2.8 spanish nite flux box with Racy 5.3 kernel
The baby is snapped here below !
Attachments
SaintJean.jpg
Racy ?
(19.44 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 17 Jun 2014, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Pcorner Dude

#206 Post by Pelo »

- Use desktop corners as execution-area (utilise les coins du bureau comme zone de commande) ?
Corners
The desktop corners can be made 'hot' by defining it as an execution area. This is handled by Pcorner, which is reachable from the control center. By default, Pnote (desktop notepad) is active in the upper-left corner. The structure behind these active corners is a tiny tray in each corner. These are defined as $HOME/.jwmrc-corner-xx. The only content of the 2-pixel corner-tray is a swallowed gtkdialog application that has one purpose; send an enter-notify-event when mouse is touching corner. It's defined a delay of 0.4 sec to prevent execution of a mouse in affect.
Utiliser Pcorner pour activer
That would have been funny, but it does not work. I have been missing someting. Sorry sir, Now it's perfect
Promote Dude ! Flyer avdvertising to frenchies
Attachments
ptheme.jpg
Pris ne s'est pas fait en un jour !
(32.16 KiB) Downloaded 515 times

Pelo

up up to the top old desktop to refresh our Puppy

#207 Post by Pelo »

up up Dude to the top
Finished the always the same desktops, dug in old puppies to renew your slackos, precise and others tahpups !

Griot

#208 Post by Griot »

Hi, Zigbert!

I'm on an ultimate quest for WMs/DEs and DuDE caught my eye today but...
http://ww2.meownplanet.net
says:

Code: Select all

This domain name expired on May 18 2015 01:44:52:000PM 
Click here to renew it.
Is there any mirror site where this .pet lays in disguise?
Thanx!

zigbert

#209 Post by zigbert »

DuDE is uploaded to the mirror at 01micko.com/zigbert

Be aware that DuDE is not maintained. I have made a new approach. Look at
http://woof-ce.26403.n7.nabble.com/PDE-td614.html
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794783

Sigmund

Griot

#210 Post by Griot »

Ok, got it. Thank you. :thumbup:

Pelo

Puppies is as songs, the artist crosses in new ones

#211 Post by Pelo »

Puppies are as songs, the artist crosses in new ones, the public rest hung on the same old successes, and asks for more of it in every concert
Not more maintained ok, but keep them available. DuDe is still one of my prefered desktop, i can marry it with recent Puppies.
Or LTS Lucid 528 (Sulu)
Attachments
france.png
nice !
(32.39 KiB) Downloaded 145 times