nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

Thanks Crash
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Crash

#32 Post by Crash »

nooby-

You're welcome. Bear in mind that LINLD.COM is a DOS program, and runs from DOS. It will run in a FAT16 or FAT32 partition, but not in an ext2 or NTFS partition. I have an old WIN98 floppy that I use to prepare the USB drive, but you can use FREEDOS or OPENDOS or DOS6.2 also. On some computers the floppy won't recognize the USB drive, but in that case the computer itself usually won't be able to boot directly to a USB drive anyway.

The number one problem I've found with not being able to boot to a USB drive is the computer itself. It simply may not be able to boot to a USB drive. In that case, you must use some other means to boot, such as a CD or DVD. The newer computers, in the last three years or so, seem much better in this respect. I've had my worst luck with Laptops, which is too bad because the portability of a USB drive is so applicable to a laptop.

x15j-

I'll send you a private message to discuss a solution to your situation. It can be pretty aggravating to see all this mumbo-jumbo in the thread. There is a lot of web documentation regarding USB booting, but none of it matters if it doesn't pertain to your individual setup.

nooby

#33 Post by nooby »

Good that you reminded me.

The solution I used is a bit cumbersome.

One either use the os that already can be loaded from the HDD itself or one use a rescue CD/DVD that can access the hdd and one change grub to include the OS one want to boot.

In my case it was Debian/AntiX/mepis 8.5 prefinal

So I did this:
So the solution for me was to include a copy of the vmlinuz and the initrd from the usb to be on the hdd in a subdirectory and then it could load from the usb.

the menu.lst doesn't ahve to mention the usb at all. the vmlinuz and the initrd does look for DVD, USB, HDD and CF and what have you by default so it does find what it need as long as one get the hdd boot as right as the other OS that already are on the HDD.

But I have only tested it on one computer. But the person that did recommend it says it is a viable way to go if nothing else works. I then installed AntiX Linux OS from that USB so it worked out good.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though