Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 22:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 16:11    Post_subject:  Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section
Sub_title: Additional Software (Pets,n' stuff) needs some organization

INTERNET Post:

I made a list of links to programs dealing with the internet.
I posted this less than 24 hours ago and it has had over 400 views.
That tells me that the Additional Software (Pets, N' stuff) needs some
main topic organization structure. Yes you can find stuff, but it is all under one heading ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE.

Are you seeing this moderators?

Edited_time_total
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 16:20    Post_subject:  

Are you volunteering to update and maintain this? Laughing
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 16:32    Post_subject: How to maintain?  

If you look at the post INTERNET. the first statement says how it can be done. The person authoring a new program can add a link to his post under this main heading. If this gets established as the norm, it should maintain itself.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar 2010, 23:28    Post_subject:  

I'm sorry if I seem negative, bigpup. I do appreciate the fact that you're trying. I just think the idea of a self-maintaining index is an impossible dream, and I can tell you from experience that the phpBB forum software does not lend itself to making or maintaining any kind of index, at least not one as big as would be required to organize this forum.
That could probably be overcome by maintaining the index offline using a word processor, and simply pasting the result into a forum message compose window. But the forum software is only part of the problem. Somehow the information has to find its way into the index, which means the maintainer has to be told about new .pets and where they are. Also, links should be periodically checked to see that they are still good. Depending on people to let you know when a link is dead won't work. Even if they want to take the trouble, they won't know who to tell.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 00:02    Post_subject: Moderators input needed  

Moderators of the section Additional Software (Pets,n' stuff) give us some input on this idea.

If you look at the post (INTERNET) you can see what is possible in a short period of time. The first page shows what can be done. I made it in less than 30 minutes.
They got to the moon by saying it can be done.
Lets stop saying no way and start making it happen. You people, that make new programs for Puppy, are the best. But putting them all under one heading (Additional Software) makes it very hard to find what you have done.

Look at the post INTERNET and see what is possible!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53931

It can be done! It can be done! it can be done! it can be done!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 09:49    Post_subject:  

Tell you what, bigpup: I don't want that many sticky posts at the beginning of a section, so I won't make all those threads into stickys. If you'll make a post with links to the categories you've started (Like so: I'll make it a sticky. I'll probably have to lock it so it doesn't turn into a thread with lots of unrelated posts. I'll unlock it for you when you need to edit it. Call it Index of Additional Software or something like that.

What do you think?
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 12:00    Post_subject:  

Sounds like just what's needed. Very Happy

That's what I like to see = POSITIVE THINKING. Cool
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 12:57    Post_subject:  

AMEN!! ( In response to Sylvander that is! )

And I applaud you BigPup for... well! ...obviously being just that - a "Big Pup", realising that we have a huge need here and doing what you can do to help meet that need.

I likewise applaud Flash because, while he was first quite pessimisstic about the idea ( no offense Flash, okie? ), has done what any great moderator would do - and that is assist BigPup in all his capacity.

I just wished I'd thought of it all first. Wink LOL!

Good luck gentlemen! Start your engines - and may this improve our ability to find great software to feed our puppies! Very Happy

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 13:09    Post_subject: Re: Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section

bigpup wrote:
INTERNET Post:

I made a list of links to programs dealing with the internet.
I posted this less than 24 hours ago and it has had over 400 views.
That tells me that the Additional Software (Pets, N' stuff) needs some
main topic organization structure. Yes you can find stuff, but it is all under one heading ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE.

Are you seeing this moderators?

Recommendation: instead of making threads for each section, with one post per program, make an individual post for each section, and collect the links into one post. You can use the Edit function to update the pasts as programs are added, changed, or deleted. Add the Subjects of the posts linked to as descriptions for each link.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 13:09    Post_subject: Re: Needed Main Topic Organization Structure To This Section

Dupe post.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 14:29    Post_subject: Index listing  

Flash Wrote:

Quote:
Tell you what, bigpup: I don't want that many sticky posts at the beginning of a section, so I won't make all those threads into stickys. If you'll make a post with links to the categories you've started (Like so:

INTERNET
MULTIMEDIA
etc.)

I'll make it a sticky. I'll probably have to lock it so it doesn't turn into a thread with lots of unrelated posts. I'll unlock it for you when you need to edit it. Call it Index of Additional Software or something like that.

What do you think?

One thing that needs to happen is for Authors, of programs, to help with inputting links to their programs in the main topic posts. The first statement in each post tells them what to do. Anyone could add a link if they want to help.
I made the topic posts like this so I would not be the only one who could edit them.

See if this will work!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54034
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 14:42    Post_subject:  

Just found the "INDEX ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE", and have added a post with link to this in my thread at the PC-Guide.

Oops, hadn't seen your post when I first submitted mine.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 16:54    Post_subject: remove comments from main topic posts  

Flash,

Could you remove the comment posts that are in the INTERNET and FILE-SYSTEM main topic posts and move them to this location?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 19:51    Post_subject: Thank you bigpup and Flash
Sub_title: A Table of Contents for Pets & SFSes

Well minded searches are great. They've served as an index when you're searching for something. But text books have, as well as an index, a Table of Contents, showing how the information is organized, providing a 'shap-shot' of that organization with a 'link' --the page notation-- of where subject matter can be found in relation to similar subject matters.

Thank you bigpup for realizing that Puppy Linux 'Pets 'n Stuff' needed a Table of Contents, but one which (the Puppy Forum being a community effort) should be interactive.

Thank you Flash for seeing the sense behind bigpup's initial efforts and placing the 'Table of Contents' where it belongs: a sticky near the beginning of the 'Pets 'n Stuff' sub-forum.

As a 'Table of Contents' each sub-listing on the thread can do more than just provide a naked link to a pet. It can provide a 'shap-shot' of the pet or SFS linked. I expect that most posting will not have to be as extensive as the one's I posted regarding InfoCentral. That application is both rather complex and not well known.

mikesLr
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 20:33    Post_subject: posting a link  

mikeslr,

Yes! Your post to the FILE-SYSTEM main topic thread shows exactly what this can do. You post a link to a program thread and give a brief info statement on what it is. You got the idea.
You inputted new info and I did not have to do anything.
Thank you!
Now there is a new link to a program under FILE-SYSTEM main topic.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53933
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum