Quirky 013 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

Actually, for those who report black screen with the 'intel' driver, or hang or whatever, you can manually set the 'i810' driver as default.

If you can get to the desktop with the 'vesa' driver, you will find the 'i810' driver here:

/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate

...copy 'i810_drv.so' to /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, and delete 'intel_drv.so'.

There is also another file that you will find in here:

/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate/i810

...you need to copy that out and replace the current one at /usr/X11R7/lib.

After that, if you exit to the prompt then run 'xorgwizard', it will use the 'i810' driver.

...if you are game to try that, let me know if it works!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

Too clarify a bit more, the Vesa driver is a "proper" Xorg driver, and uses xorg.conf. The Kdriver Xvesa driver was written independently of Xorg and does not use xorg.conf. However, both were included in the Xorg package, then Xvesa was dropped from Xorg 7.5. Xvesa was still in Xorg 7.4 I think but was somewhat broken. Nobody maintained it anymore, so it was dropped.

There is also other stuff that is different, for example, Xvesa does not use any of the Xorg keyboard setup files. Also, Xvesa has a fixed screen refresh rate, whereas with Vesa it can be changed.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#33 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:Too clarify a bit more, the Vesa driver is a "proper" Xorg driver, and uses xorg.conf. The Kdriver Xvesa driver was written independently of Xorg and does not use xorg.conf. However, both were included in the Xorg package, then Xvesa was dropped from Xorg 7.5. Xvesa was still in Xorg 7.4 I think but was somewhat broken. Nobody maintained it anymore, so it was dropped.

There is also other stuff that is different, for example, Xvesa does not use any of the Xorg keyboard setup files. Also, Xvesa has a fixed screen refresh rate, whereas with Vesa it can be changed.
Thank you for specifying.
I knew it had been written before, probably you did it.
Will bookmark now for future reference. 8)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

pixman black background in icons

#34 Post by Béèm »

Black background in icons issue.

With coolpup's pixman (thank you for this) the issue is solved in Quirky 13, but not in Lucid 002 (where I had the issue also)
Time savers:

Béèm

#35 Post by Béèm »

tronkel wrote:No success at all with xorgwizard on startup.
Video card is ATI Radeon 3450. Black screen only.
Vesa does work though.

I then installed MU's ati fglrx proprietary drive for kernel 2.6.3.5
This worked OK.

Still got black background on menu item icons.

Edit: Both Firefox and Openoffice 3.2 now start OK. This was not this case with Quirky 10
Thank you Tronkel for this info.
Altho my graphics device wasn't in the list (ATI Radeon 7500) I decided to try.
  1. Installed while in Xvesa
  2. reooted with pfix=nox
  3. at the X prompt run Xorgwizard and configured xorg
  4. xwin
  5. did get the desktop
A question tho: How can I see I am in Xvesa or Xorg?
Time savers:

tronkel

#36 Post by tronkel »

Beem wrote:
Beem if you read Barry's notes above, he writes that Vesa is actually an XORG driver in itself - as opposed to XVESA (used in Puppy for ages) which is not considered to be a part of XORG as such - even although it comes included with the XORG package.

So, to answer your question here - you are always in XORG in Quirky 013 since XVESA is now not there at all.

I know - it's a bit convoluted (to say the least!) :shock:
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Béèm

#37 Post by Béèm »

tronkel wrote:Beem wrote:
Beem if you read Barry's notes above, he writes that Vesa is actually an XORG driver in itself - as opposed to XVESA (used in Puppy for ages) which is not considered to be a part of XORG as such - even although it comes included with the XORG package.

So, to answer your question here - you are always in XORG in Quirky 013 since XVESA is now not there at all.

I know - it's a bit convoluted (to say the least!) :shock:
Well, the answer wasn't totally clear or me and I had still the impression Xvesa existed, be it not developed anymore as it can still be selected.

To avoid any confusion, the Xvesa choice should be removed then when configuring the graphics environment.
Time savers:

tom4jean

#38 Post by tom4jean »

No problem with xorg 16-bit or 24-bit on any of the Quirky verisions including this one. Intel 945gse GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 950 on my compaq cq10 netbook. Sorry I can't post output from "report-video" because of problem noted below.

New bug for me; 013 is not detecting my Broadcom Wireless LAN card. I'm posting this from 010.
Quirky's 008-010 all detected my card after making a pupsave and using the b43 driver.
I tried multiple attempts to reboot and reload the driver and even deleted the pupsave I made for 013 and loaded the one from 010 and same thing. It just does not detect my wireless card, I used both the regular dugal wizard and the new simple one.
No idea why and sorry I don't have enough knowledge to diagnose it.
AKA: tom4jesus; Running Quirky 1.0 on Compaq cq10 netbook
Search the Puppy Forums to find that elusive PET;
[url]http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine[/url]

stu90

#39 Post by stu90 »

Touchpad tapping now works on dell inspiron 1501 laptop

black backround fix also works same laptop.

darwinev0lved

#40 Post by darwinev0lved »

BarryK wrote:Actually, for those who report black screen with the 'intel' driver, or hang or whatever, you can manually set the 'i810' driver as default.

If you can get to the desktop with the 'vesa' driver, you will find the 'i810' driver here:

/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate

...copy 'i810_drv.so' to /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, and delete 'intel_drv.so'.

There is also another file that you will find in here:

...you need to copy that out and replace the current one at /usr/X11R7/lib.

After that, if you exit to the prompt then run 'xorgwizard', it will use the 'i810' driver.

...if you are game to try that, let me know if it works!
Hi Barry, just to let you know that this does work - but on Lpup, haven't tried it on Quirky yet. The driver files aren't in the folders you mention in lpup but were easy enough to find. So far, so good.

alec78

i810

#41 Post by alec78 »

Hi BarryK,
Followed your destructions re Intel i810 driver, and it worked. Posting this via xorg i810 graphics.
Cheers

ICPUG

#42 Post by ICPUG »

Ok. I've test Quirky013 on both my machines (for graphics only).

On my desktop with ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X it worked fine although the desktop background was black. The colour may be a fault of my monitor.

On my Medion Laptop with i810 graphics chip set it just got black screen when trying xorg. Interestingly when you click the off button of the PC it barked! Anyway restarted and followed Barry's instructions about using VESA.

Point for Beem. If nothing else this VESA option must exist to enable us to change the xorg driver!

The bit about copying 'i810_drv.so' was fine. However, the instructions from here were a bit wrong. There is no intel_drv.so to delete - probably cos it never started in xorg before.

Then it says there is another file in here:

No there isn't. All that is in there is a directory (usr). I followed the path down to:
/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers-alternate/i810/usr/X11R7/lib/

There were TWO files here (one a symbolic link) and I copied both of them as requested.

Went to the prompt and ran xwizard no problem. Restarted by typing xwin and everything worked.

It amazes me that alec78 reported the instructions worked when clearly there were some errors in the instructions! Accuracy in reports is helpful.

JustGreg

#43 Post by JustGreg »

I tried Quirky 013 on my Acer Aspire Revo using the live CDROM. It booted and started without a problem. It did not detect the Nvidia Graphics device, but did properly detect the Nvidia HDA audio device. The Nvidia Graphics device needs the Nvidia driver pet.

I also connected to my wireless WPA2 network. It did connect, but I did noticed it took longer (5.5 seconds versus 2.0 seconds) for the WPA supplicant to connect.

I tried out PupRadio and Mplayer with some online radio stations. I found station CFGP in the PupRadio would not play. In trying Mplayer with some stations that I like, I found Mplayer does not have the Codecs for MMS protocol and M3U (Mpeg3 stream). Hopefully, the extra Codecs pet for Mplayer will work with Quiry.

In general, Quirky seem to work well. It needs the usual tweaks for user preferences. It does have all the basics for me.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: i810

#44 Post by BarryK »

alec78 wrote:Hi BarryK,
Followed your destructions re Intel i810 driver, and it worked. Posting this via xorg i810 graphics.
Cheers
That's good news, I'll modify the Xorg Wizard so i810 can be chosen immediately instead of the probing.

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Running Quirky 013 live on a box with S3 graphics-prosavage. Xorg is using the "savage" driver and working correctly.
installed the pet and took care of the black backgrounds.... :)

aarf

#46 Post by aarf »

rollback has returned past bugs.
quirky013 unpacked to SDcard gives kernal panic not syncing.(previously fixed)
quirky013 unpack to external HD boots

pgprs-connect in 010 is fine. pgprs-connect in 013 is a repeat of past failure. requires pgrps-connect in terminal to connect.

black backgrounds in menu at x24.
probably just the tip of the iceberg.
thumbs down, jump off the distrowatch treadmill and go to 010

BarryK
Puppy Master

#47 Post by BarryK »

I have fixed the 'report-video' script. Gunzip it, make sure it is set as executable and place at /usr/sbin.

Note that I only want this report for video that does not work, or not properly, and it would be good if you could comment what is wrong as well. This will help me to build up a database of what video hardware is causing trouble.
Attachments
report-video.gz
(531 Bytes) Downloaded 817 times

rjbrewer

#48 Post by rjbrewer »

Has the Quirky 013 with i810 choose button been uploaded?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

playdayz

#49 Post by playdayz »

This seems strange, but maybe it is a good clue. In the latest Lucid, radeon_drv and radeonhd_drv are both available. Xorgwizard chooses radeon--this works but it is not the best choice. Now, here's the weird part, even though radeonhd_drv is already there in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, I have a pet with nothing in it but the radeonhd_drv and if I install that pet and then exit to prompt and run xorgwizard again, then this time it chooses radeonhd!

Why would just installing the radeonhd pet cause xorgwizard to change its choice from radeon to radeonhd? That's the question.

The reason I say that radeonhd is a better choice is that radeon doesn't work properly at 16 bits, where radeonhd does. Radeon displays a screen with no color but very deep green.

This is with the new report-video script as well as before.

Please excuse me while I go test Quirky 013.

OK, in Quirky 013, if I do the same thing, and make the pet out of the radeonhd_drv that Quirky contains, then what I get when I rerun xorgwizard is a black screen.

All in all, leaving both radeonhd and nouveau out, as in 4.3.1 might be the best approach for Lucid--adn then make them available as pets. Anyway, that clue is so strange to me that I figured it might mean something to you.

I think I could use a new Woof whenever you get a chance. The one I am using is from March 24.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#50 Post by BarryK »

rjbrewer wrote:Has the Quirky 013 with i810 choose button been uploaded?
No, that will be the next Quirky, number 014 or 015. My experimental in-house build is at 014, so probably the next release will be 015. Coming soon.