having lots of internet issues with Lucid 5.0

Please post any bugs you have found
micsand

having lots of internet issues with Lucid 5.0

#1 Post by micsand »

I've been running Lucid 5.0 now for the past six weeks and some of bugs are minor issues, the ones that I really need to address is the constant crashing of all the web browsers that I have installed and my time zone setting not being saved.

I am using the following browsers:

1. Firefox 3.6.3
2. Seamonkey 2.0.4
3. Google Chrome 5.0.307.11 Beta

I am not running a full install or frugal, but rather still using the LiveCD and saved setting from the hard drive. Prior to my use of Lucid 5.0, I have been running Puppy 4.3.1 and prior releases the same way without any problems. I am running this program on a 3 Ghz AMD Athlon II processor with 2 gigabytes of RAM DDR 2 and 500 Gig SATA hdd. Graphic (NVIDIA GeForce 6150) and sound are built in the motherboard and this is a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+.

Issue One:

I am able to connect and browse the internet, unfortunately, this is short lived and after about 5-10 minutes of surfing, my browsers will stop responding and I am forced to either restart the X server or completely reboot the system. At first, I thought this may have an issue because of ISP and multiple tabs open, but this is not the case, as this problems surfaces even when I am running just one tab.

Issue Two:

My timezone setting are not being saved and every time I run this OS, I have to set the time. Again, I thought this may have been an issue with the BIOS, but that is not the case since the time and date are not effected.

I really need to resolve this issue since my work involves an uninterrupted use of the internet and the speed, as well as the efficiency of Linux has afforded me that I am unable to achieve with Windows 7.

All input in regards to this matter will be greatly appreciated.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

What did happen to your full install of Puppy 431?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52226

rjbrewer suggested a solution and you never got back and told if it did help you or not?

You are new here so I don't want to discourage you. What they like here are consistency on how one respond to help one receive.

I am not good at it and have got much flack for it and I didn't like them telling me I didn't live up to their expectation. So just a friendly advice.

Good that you gave this relevant info on what your set up.
I am running this program on a 3 Ghz AMD Athlon II processor with 2 gigabytes of RAM DDR 2 and 500 Gig SATA hdd. Graphic (NVIDIA GeForce 6150) and sound are built in the motherboard and this is a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+.
I don't criticize you. Just trying to help you get a long here. Wish you all luck getting good answers.

I have almost same hardware as you and me too had some problems with Lupu 5 too so I tested Quirky 1.00 and I love that version. Maybe your hardware works better on that one too? Why not test it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

micsand

#3 Post by micsand »

I didn't realize that I had submitted this post and apology for not responding I will be a bit more proactive in responding with my posts. Thank you for the advice.. I no longer have a full install on my computer. I was having issues with Windows 7 at that particular time I made that post back in February -- it didn't like any of my hardware -- in particular, my sound and graphic cards nor the processor so I had to rebuild my computer to one I have mentioned in my post. Unfortunately, since I still need to have Windows OS (certain program that I need will not run in WINE and I have not been able to overcome the issues that are present.) I have not installed the hdd since I am running everything off the Live CD. This is because my Puppy 4.3.1 is installed on ATA drive, and my Biostar board will only accommodate one ATA drive. Oh yes, since I replaced my motherboard and am now running the faster SATA, changing all the hardware is a slow process. Anyways since I am getting a little better at running operating Linux and always looking to try new builds, I will give Quirky a whirl. Thank once again for replying to my post and a thousands apologies to rjbrewer for responding to my last post -- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52226.

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

micsand;

Thank you; but absolutely no apology was needed. My tip way

back then did not require or ask for any response on your part.

Nooby gets a bit "carried away".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

rjbrewer , then I apology for getting carried away. :)

rjbrewer , so what can be going on then. What can any of us suggest to be done about it.

this ata and sata can be vital. I had such problems with my bare bone "shoebox" AOpen computer.

Solved when I changed Sata to Pata or something. The cables are Sata but the set up see it as a Pata so very confusing.

Could it be something like that going on. The hardware needs maybe a special cheat code to work properly?

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Re all the crashes. I've read that it could be a Flash thing. Have you checked that you have the latest 10.1 r53 version?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

micsand.
What internet device do you have?
(access point and network card)
Also how do you connect? (open, WEP, WPA)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

micsand I have actually managed to crash my FF browser three times now.

I went into youtube and had several tabs going with music clips and I added more and more clips and then fast clicked back on the button for working myself to the first video and that made it crash.

So I agree that there are limits on what is possible to do.

But it was worse in 2008 so it is improving. Now it survives many many videos and then in 2008 it crashed on the second or third one.

What are you doing when it crashes. Maybe we are spoiled hoping it can stand any kind of behavior we throw at it? Just me a bit curious.

What is the standard behavior of modern Linux distros? Does Ubuntu Linux allow more such videos in a row or less?

micsand

#9 Post by micsand »

Sorry guys I hadn't had time until today to check the forum -- been busy with work. I thought my reply to Béèm had posted late Saturday night:
micsand.
What internet device do you have?
(access point and network card)
Also how do you connect? (open, WEP, WPA)
Anyways, I my Internet access is WiFi through a wireless Motorola WiMax CPE 2501 modem, which is then fed into a Linksys BEFW11s4 router. Since I am still running CAT5 on this network to both computers, I believe that connect through WEP. As far as my network goes, it is built into the motherboard and just your generic 10/100 running on RealTek drivers.

micsand

#10 Post by micsand »

nobody:
What are you doing when it crashes. Maybe we are spoiled hoping it can stand any kind of behavior we throw at it? Just me a bit curious.
I do a lot of research and its conceivable that I may have at least 20+ sites open. But like I have stated earlier, it may crash with 1 site or 100 sites opened. Lately though I haven't had a problem for the last couple of days. I will see what happens today.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

The following is a wild guess shot.

Several has reported that older flash versions crash the browser easily.

The latest flash to use seems to be 10.1 r53 if I remember correctly.

I am too lazy now to search the proper threads confirming my poor memory but I know at least three persons had that problem with flash.