Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 06:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Reports
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 7 [91 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 16:17    Post subject:  Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Reports  

Here are my test setups.

1. Phenom 9850 with Radeon 3850, wireless zd1211rw
2. Phenom x4 B50 with Radeon 4670, wired ethernet
3. IBM Thinkpad T22, P3, with S3 Savage graphics, wireless Atheros
4. Athlon 64 3200 with Nvidia 5200 graphics. wired ethernet
5. Intel Atom with intel graphics, wired ethernet (I seem to get none of the flashing that is reported on intel graphics)

Last edited by playdayz on Thu 08 Apr 2010, 23:26; edited 3 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 16:21    Post subject:  

Gtkdialog -> Apps that use gtkdialog have wonky formatting. Ubuntu 10.04 does not have gtkdialog included. The gtkdialog from 9.10 (Karmic) does not work with some Puppy gtkdialog programs. The gtkdialog that is installed is from Puppy 400. Someone should know how gtkdialog works well enough to find the problem?
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 16:27    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38608

There you will find Patriot's patched gtkdialog, I don't know if it will fix it but it may. I will try later, off to work now.

Cheers

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 18:17    Post subject: Creation of save file.  

creation of save file

Up to know I had no problem to do a first boot with pfix=ram and have the panel at the end of the session if I wanted to create a save file.
Not with this lucid 003. I just got the puppy saved message and that's all. Some other puppies do the same thing.

So I applied plan b, being starting with pfix=ram and psubdir=
This time I got the panel to create a save file.

Up to know nobody could explain this phenomena.

So I think there is some bug, but I have a circumvention.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 18:19    Post subject: network configuration not persistent between boots.  

network configuration not persistent between boots.

Already in lucid 002 I had this.

I use the SNS to configure the network.
At every boot I have to do the configuration again.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 18:22    Post subject: Stardust theme for desktop icons  

Stardust theme for desktop icons

Not a bug, but mentioned to have focus here.

I like the stardust theme.
So I copy it when installing a puppy not having it.

Could it be possible to include the stardust theme also in lucid?

Use peppyy's puppysearch
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 18:56    Post subject:  

My nvidia video was found with lupu-002 and worked to get me to the desktop.
It does not work in lupu-003.
I am there now after selecting xvesa.
abiword crashes when selecting the Change Modify styles and also crashes when trying to do a spell check.

Geany needs to be included for those that want it for programming.

Black background behind menu icons seems fixed.

I will check out video using xvesa and get back to you.
video using xvesa plays fine in full screen mode. Tested with YouTube and HULU.
Just out of curiosity, if you installed the nvidia driver specific to your PC, that would crash nvidia that is not same as yours.
I only mention this since you asked someone if glxgears worked.

gxine fails on showing video for mp4 files. Audio only.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 21:48    Post subject:  

Hey 8-bit, Thanks for your help and feedback. if you read the section int he first message on Video drivers, you will see why it worked for you in 002 but not in 003--because 002 did not have the nouveau driver and 003 does. In that section it also tells how to get around that--by removing the nouveau driver and rerunning xorgwizard. I wanted to ee what happened adn the same thing happened to me with my Nividia 5200--I had to remove nouveau and once I did that then the nv driver worked just as in 002. In 004 I think i will go back to the way it was in 002, unless someone can figure out how and why to use the nouveau driver.

I agree with you about Geany--I am not going to make many additions at all--just the basic Puppy, but Geany will probably be an addition.

perhaps you could run AbiWord from a prompt in a terminal and then look at the messages when it crashes and see if they tell you anything useful. This will get more attention as we get the basic down.

And thanks Beem, there will be more work on these things as the graphics settle down.
8-bit

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar 2010, 22:47    Post subject:  

First, up and running with xorg after removing the file.

Second, Format-Create or modify styles in running abiword from a terminal gave
Code:

bash-3.00# abiword

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_title: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_get_label: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_markup: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_selection_set_mode: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SELECTION (selection)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_get_label: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_markup: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_add: assertion `GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_add: assertion `GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_dialog_set_default_response: assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed

(abiword:22743): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_modal: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(abiword:22743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Aborted

And Selecting "ABC"(spellchecking) also crashed abiword and gave this:
Code:

bash-3.00# abiword

** (abiword:488): WARNING **: Error loading plugin: unknown dl-error

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_title: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text_with_mnemonic: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text_with_mnemonic: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_use_underline: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_use_underline: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_set_model: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_insert_column_with_attributes: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_column: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_column_set_sort_column_id: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW_COLUMN (tree_column)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show_all: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_dialog_set_default_response: assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed

(abiword:488): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_modal: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(abiword:488): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Aborted

Hope it helps you.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr 2010, 00:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
driver=radeonhd--then save and Menu -> Shutdown-> Restart X server. Does it work? What happens? What graphics card do you have?
Radeonhd pet -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/radeonhd.pet

Is that pet working OK - I downloaded and got an error
when trying to run
- However the good news is I did not need it
After a probe in Lucid 003 during boot up a radeon driver was installed and the screen is OK
Radeon 4350HD is the card

May try and download and run the pet again later
Now going for a bike ride . . .
Smile

James C

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr 2010, 01:04    Post subject:  

My frugal install of 003 is also not keeping the internet connection upon a reboot.I've tried all of the different wizards with no change.Every reboot or restart the connection(wired DSL) is gone.
Otherwise, no real complaints. Smile
Béèm

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr 2010, 04:15    Post subject: white background in icons  

white background in icons

Now the adventure of black background in icons is over, another one starts.
While for the black background every icon was effected, strangely enough it's not the case for the white background.
Also at first sight the icons in the system tray are ok.

Is that fix for the black one included in lucid 003?
Should it be applied anyway?
icon-background-white.png
 Description   
 Filesize   158.76 KB
 Viewed   1542 Time(s)

icon-background-white.png

Last edited by Béèm on Thu 01 Apr 2010, 04:25; edited 1 time in total
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr 2010, 04:17    Post subject:  

back from bike ride
fault with radeonhd.pet - not installing

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr 2010, 07:34    Post subject:  

Béèm

aarf reported completely washed out icons! I am experiencing different behaviour alltogether.. my icons seem to have a feint white halo around them, about 1px wide, just enough to notice. So there is definitely something wrong with that libpixman and at least JWM. What are your icons like in that wine program you mentioned in a related thread?

Cheers

Béèm

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr 2010, 07:58    Post subject: white background in icons  

In that wine program, I had the issue when in 16-bit.
Being in 24-bit the icons in that application are as it should be: transparent.
I didn't try being in 16-bit.
I didn't try Winefile neither then, but now in 24-bit no problems.

I still wonder how JWM (if this was the cause) could influence the icons in wine.

If needed I can try the 16-bit mode and see again.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Page 1 of 7 [91 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: