Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Reports

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#61 Post by Lobster »

You have simplified (good plan) the browser chooser :)

It works well

1. You do not have to install a browser - go to Menu / Internet / Puppybrowser - It might (I stress might) be worth reminding users on the Installer . . .

2. This is really a forum issue. The PuppyBrowser can not add username and password when connecting to the forum - it should be able to as
the forum uses PHP - so not sure what is happening . . .

3. When upgrading rather than running from ram, I already have a browser default but the Browser chooser comes up when clicking on Browser - instead of running 'defaultbrowser'
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8-bit

#62 Post by 8-bit »

Just installed lupu-005 frugal.
Seamonkey install went fine.

Abiword still crashing on Create modify styles.

Font display in Seamonkey is still small and dot-matrix like compared to Seamonkey in 4.2.1 and tuxx's 4.3.2.

So what is going on with the font size being small, faint, and dot-matrix like?

This is a quick observation. More may follow.
Attachments
Font_Problem2.jpg
2nd sample of bad font display in Seamonkey.
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 1163 times
font_problem.jpg
Sample of small bad font I see.
(36.28 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

popescu eugen

lupu-005

#63 Post by popescu eugen »

nice browsers

TomRhymer

Speaker problem in Lucid 5.

#64 Post by TomRhymer »

Trying out Lucid 5 now. My computer is an Acer Aspire One AOD-150; I'm running from a flash drive made with Unetbootin.

The browser selection worked fine. Thanks for changing the htlm setting in Rox to the puppy html viewer, that works better for me.

Still has the Pmusic/Gxine bug, 01Micko's fix handles that.

I've got a new problem with the sound. I can't get any sound from the speakers, but my headphones work normally. I had a similar problem with a few of the Quirkies, but then I could right-click on the volume icon and change the speaker volume in the mixer to fix it. In Lucid, the mixer is different and doesn't have a slider for speaker volume.

Thanks for all the work you and the others have put it this.

playdayz

#65 Post by playdayz »

Lobster,
You do not have to install a browser - go to Menu / Internet / Puppybrowser - It might (I stress might) be worth reminding users on the Installer . . .
Yes. I am going to mention that in the Browser Installer--but when I thought of it I would have had to do another build and I thought to wait on it till 006.

3. When upgrading rather than running from ram, I already have a browser default but the Browser chooser comes up when clicking on Browser - instead of running 'defaultbrowser'
I see. That is an artifact of the development Lobster. When we release the Final everyone should start fresh and that will not be a problem. If you go ahead and reinstall your browser with the Browser Installer then the defaultbrowser will be correct, unless you have Seamonkey 1.1.18, which will probably not be offered--not for sure--but SM1 is actually larger than SM2 and much slower. Do you think anyone would miss SM1? Thanks.

playdayz

#66 Post by playdayz »

Font display in Seamonkey is still small and dot-matrix like compared to Seamonkey in 4.2.1 and tuxx's 4.3.2.

So what is going on with the font size being small, faint, and dot-matrix like?

yes 8-bit, there are just so many things to do that this one has not been done yet. Don't you want to learn a bit about font configuration?

Oh wait, I see your example--i think i know hat to do about that--I thought I had done it actually--hopefully for 006. Thanks.
Still has the Pmusic/Gxine bug, 01Micko's fix handles that.
Thanks TomRhymer--I should get it for 006.

And that is a generic answer ;-) 006 will be a fresh beginning--so that people can check if reported bugs have been caught. Thanks to all.
which are listed as abiword deps but not included in lupup with no noticeable improvement.

Do these errors make sense to anyone?
Yes jrb, I have done pretty much the same things and gotten pretty much the same error messages. I did get a change--not crashing--but not doing the spell check either--even though it said it did. I have not had the time to make this a top priority. What I am going to try next is to download all of the Abiword files and build my own package--Woof is complicated and sometimes it does things to programs that are not foreseen.

Terryphi

#67 Post by Terryphi »

It would be helpful to have a list of known bugs in 005 (and each later version) at the front of this thread so that we do not waste everyone's time reporting them.

I am still seeing:

Abiword crash when selecting Edit>Preferences or Spell Check.

Additional spaces after words ending in letter K seen in Osmo, Firefox search box, and some dialog boxes in other apps.

playdayz

#68 Post by playdayz »

Hey Lobster, You will find that I broke PuppyBrowser in 005. Never fear. If I may ask, do you use PB for routine browsing--I am not thinking of eliminating it (necessarily) but to get an idea of how useful it is in real world browsing.

Thanks.

nooby

#69 Post by nooby »

Playdayz I am in Lucid Puppy 005 now and thanks for making the nVidia nv drivers work out of the box for my HP/Compaq SR5622SC but despite having the right driver it has the choppy or jerky wave like motion on streaming video.

Edit this is in FF, Chromium, Opera and SM" too. So it seems it has nothing to do with browser.

Another bug is that the chars are fuzzy each inch or so one or two chars only but all the way from upper most to lowest lower part of the screen.

Edit I did test the jerky or choppy thing in Vesa too and then the jerkiness goes away but the split up when doing scrolling is still there. look my text describing it further down.

Lucid Puppy 005 has this together with Dpup and Upup and one more derivates.

All the other 20 plus puppies that I have tested shows the same streaming videos without any delay or choppy or jerks at all. But they have glitches instead but that is much more tolerable compared to this bad behavior.

I am not alone having this problem. I have not heard anybody knowing what causes it though.

Another bug is that if you use mouse and left click on the most right "button" and drag it down to scroll then the graphic splits up in horizontal strips? but they heal if one click on menu button.

lup004 had this problem too.

Edit

My very naive amateurish suggesting would be that some kind of acceleration incompatibility?

I have a vague memory that some people go into Bios and shut down or tell it to use the acceleration maybe? I have a poor memory.

What surprise me is that netiher Debian/Mepis/AntiX nor Debian/Elive 1.9 nor SuperOS ubuntu have this problem while Dpup and Upup have so Barry must have changed something that produce it?
Last edited by nooby on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

upnorth

dillo starts but is invisible

#70 Post by upnorth »

When I start dillo-2.2, nothing appears on screen, but it is in fact running. I started in term as well and checked ldd dillo and nothing appears amiss. Once when I exited lupu005, I saw it on screen for a split second.

I tried 2 different dillo builds. It still works in q18.

Has anybody successfully run any version of dillo in lupu005? :?:

Thanks.

Everything else working fast and stable.

scruffy

#71 Post by scruffy »

Time for my first Puppy Post. Please excuse my ignorance I'm quite new to this stuff.

Lucid Puppy 005 Frugal Install. This browser option list is a good idea and works well.

I tried all 4 browsers and they all work fine, Opera being the only one which can't run Flash for You Tube clips.I tried installing a Flash pet but that didn't help.

Couldn't make you2pup work but it doesn't seem to work in Puppy 4.3.1 now (it's worked for me in the past)

Likewise for the Abiword modify styles option , that doesn't work for me in Puppy 4.3.1, it just terminates the program.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying using Lucid Puppy - thanks!

Sound and Internet worked perfectly.

Might try the email clients later.

AMD Athlon 512MB 1100MHz
Soundcard C-media CMI8738
Graphics Nvidia geforce 4 MX440
Netgear wired dsl

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#72 Post by Lobster »

playdayz wrote:Hey Lobster, You will find that I broke PuppyBrowser in 005. Never fear. If I may ask, do you use PB for routine browsing--I am not thinking of eliminating it (necessarily) but to get an idea of how useful it is in real world browsing.

Thanks.
I rarely use PB for browsing BUT consider . . .

1. You are using Puppy as a test system to access a faulty system - you need some web info
You connect and find the simple browser is sufficient for downloading data - adding a more complex browser not required.

2. You have very old hardware. A very fast browser preferred to bells and whistles - internal browser sufficient.

3. Your browser choice is acting weird - is the internet slow? - you try puppy browser as a comparison

These are all situations I have been in or read about Puppys finding themselves in . . .

My recommendation would be to keep Puppy Browser.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Jim1911

#73 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi playdayz,

Running great with a 3fs save file on an ext4 partition. I downloaded the Firefox browser, the download manager looks good. Only uncorrected problem is that the 4fs save file option creates a corrupt save file as noted previously. Other problems noted were with Abiword spell check and Gzine and the fixes mentioned on the Bug fix thread corrected those.

I also updated an existing 3fs save file and the only problem noted is the same that someone mentioned above, in that it forces you to download a browser which writes over your previous browser settings.

I've dressed it up with the following additions all of which are working fine:
1. pwidgets-2.2.7.pet
2. wine-1.1.40-i486.pet
3. dude-0.1.pet
4. Openoffice 3.2
5. geany-0.18 from ppm
6. e-Sword951.exe
7. edit_sfs-2.0.pet
8. gnome-games=Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj

Looking great,
Jim :D
Last edited by Jim1911 on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#74 Post by playdayz »

Yes Lobster, Well said, I am planning to keep it. But consider ;-) that Seamonkey 2.0 does not have the libgtkmozembed that PuppyBrowser is built on in Seamonkey 1.1.xx. On the other hand, however, Cups must run, and it is finicky as all hell, excuse me! PuppyBrowser will run Cups, as well as all of the other things you mention. The only reason that PuppyBrowser would be eliminated is if we found a small browser that would run cups as well as the other things you mention. I have been testing them all in various versions and configurations, and none do.

This is a great time to Announce The Great Slim Down Seamonkey 1.1.18 to only what PuppyBrowser requires to run (it must browse and run Cups.) Seamonkey is in /usr/lib/Seamonkey-1.1.18 and the trick is to figure out what can be deleted without compromising PuppyBrowser. I have already taken it down some--but I messed up PB's scroll bars in 005--that's OK because I know what I did. This will help. Thanks.

Here's what you do, and everyone can help. Go to the Seamonkey-1.1.18 and remove a likely culprit, and then see if Cups will run--it must run all the way through Add Printers--with no display problems. If Cups runs and PuppyBrowser browses, then please post the names of the files you removed int he Slim Down Seamonkey thread. When you remove the files you might want to move them somewhere else, or just rename them with a not. at the beginning, so you can recover them if Puppy browser does not pass the test. The bigger the files you can remove the better of course, and the more the better--as you find them you might add them to your first message in the thread.

playdayz

#75 Post by playdayz »

I believe many people will be happy to know that it appears that the spell check bug in Abiword has succumbed to the relentless march of progress.

James C

Re: dillo starts but is invisible

#76 Post by James C »

upnorth wrote:When I start dillo-2.2, nothing appears on screen, but it is in fact running. I started in term as well and checked ldd dillo and nothing appears amiss. Once when I exited lupu005, I saw it on screen for a split second.

I tried 2 different dillo builds. It still works in q18.

Has anybody successfully run any version of dillo in lupu005? :?:

Thanks.

Everything else working fast and stable.
Same thing here. I'm running Dillo in both Quirky 018 and the new 4.32 with no problem. Exact same results in 005....including the brief flash of Dillo at shutdown.

playdayz

#77 Post by playdayz »

JamesC, I had problems with Dillo in trying to get it to run as Lucid's small browser to display Cups and Help. It seems like it did run, but it won't anymore. Weird, but I don't have the time to pursue it, since I do not think it will serve as the small browser even if it does run. But I will try to remember the one that did run.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#78 Post by playdayz »

Hey Scruffy,
Opera being the only one which can't run Flash for You Tube clips.I tried installing a Flash pet but that didn't help.

Couldn't make you2pup work but it doesn't seem to work in Puppy 4.3.1 now
I will check Opera. Thanks. Also you2pup.

Abiword is starting to behave in 006--due out soon.

playdayz

#79 Post by playdayz »

Lobster, I want to be clear. I plan to keep PuppyBrowser or something very much like it except much smaller.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#80 Post by Lobster »

Small browser :) understood.

and now for something completely different
There I was watching the 'Starsucker' documetary in Firefox and Lucid
when the screen split in two . . .
The bottom 10% aprox should be on the top of the screen.

Is it Firefox, my graphic card? Lucid? Flash?
Channel 4?
Anyone have similar?
I seem to remember years ago having a similar effect but can not remember what or why this happens. The mouse still works incidentally . . .
and the documentary carried on playing . . .

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)