Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Fixes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Lucid Puppy 005 - Bug Fixes

#1 Post by playdayz »

Thanks much to 01 micko for posting a bug and a fix, plus transferring one from the Bug Reports thread. Partlyt hat was the reason I was able to get a new 003 today.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 03:24, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

as reported by zigbert

Code: Select all

bash-3.00# ffmpeg -i "/root/Yngwie Malmsteen.mp3" -f au - | aplay -D plughw
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libfaad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
aplay: playback:2309: read error
fix

bash-3.00# ln -s /usr/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libfaad.so.0 
cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

upnorth

xgamma-gui

#3 Post by upnorth »

UPDATE: it turns out the the symlink named tkgamma pointing to xgamma-gui, and xgamma-gui are already present in /usr/sbin. The only thing missing for functionality is the xgamma executable. This is all that is needed. You could extract it out of the pet package and place in /usr/X11R7/bin or somewhere in your path. But if you had installed one of the pets, it would have accomplished the same thing but with a superfluous xgamma-gui in /usr/local/bin.

I just pulled over the xgamma from an ubuntu 9.10 system to test. It works.
==============================================

The xgamma-gui function in xorgwizzard can be made functional with one of these .pets:

I think I have the second one installed and it works. These are very small and supply the missing xgamma and symlink tkgamma to xgamma.

This link is for PANZERKOPF 's pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 52d#374948

This link is for Abnormalter 's pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... bc0#394189
Last edited by upnorth on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:as reported by zigbert

ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libfaad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fix

Ditto for 004. Symlink still missing. Fix is the same. Without the fix Pmusic and gxine are almost useless.

Cheers

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

Lupu 004. So far tested and working: Alsa-streamtuner sfs, Open Office 3.1 sfs, Iron sfs, Adobe Reader 8.0 sfs, XnvievMPbeta0.26 sfs.

SNS connects and remembers setup with iwlagn driver.

Ati driver radeon works ok.

Missing: acer laptop backlight brightness control with 2.6.31.5 kernel. Works with kernel 2.6.33.1 which has been first 2.6.3xx kernel with brightness control.

Wishlist: Edit-SFS included and Transmission for default torrent app.

Fix for laptop touchpad slow movements. Edit xorg.conf and replace these rows:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.10" 
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.30" 
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0030"
Change about three times bigger values:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.30" 
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.90" 
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0090"
Save and restart X.

upnorth

font rendering in interface elements

#6 Post by upnorth »

I have only the default set of fonts on the system. Various elements of the interface were displaying the typface from nimbus sans L (apparently).

Also, the more common problem in dillo and opera with pages displaying bitmap fonts on occasions was present.

As a workaround:
I installed the package fontconfig-config (2.8.0-2ubuntu1). This corrected both problems.

See: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/fontconfig-config

Installing this package will however wipe over the existing /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/fonts.dtd.

ADDED 6 April:
This may work as well. A less drastic solution that should accomplish the same thing, at least for unwanted bitmap fonts.

this is excerpt from a post by mikeb:
Don't think I mentioned here but the real fix is a small addition to /etc/fonts.conf
Code:

<!-- Reject bitmap fonts -->
 <selectfont>
  <rejectfont>
   <pattern>
     <patelt name="scalable"><bool>false</bool></patelt>
   </pattern>
  </rejectfont>
 </selectfont>
This ensures that ttf fonts...whatever you add or don't add, get used...particularly noticeable with firefox...throw in those missing serif and monospace fonts and the picture is complete. I assume something went wrong with the fontconfig compilation as puppy 2 does not need this to display correctly. Oh this took me some hours to find the reason and the cure was thanks to nimblex/slax.

hope this helps and sooths and reduces forum posts

mike"
7 april
I pasted the code into /etc/fonts/local.conf instead, and this is confirmed to work. Tested for opera 10.51.
It seems the prefer_outline tecnique in the fonts.conf in standard puppies is insufficient.

==========
For firefox html pages:
When running in most puppies with only the default set of fonts on the system, it is crucial to set preferences as:

uncheck this
preferences:content:fonts&colors:advanced:allow pages to choose their own fonts,

everything else should be set to DejaVu Sans with Sans Serif for proportional and monospace set to monospace.

For the firefox or seamonkey interface:
If the interface elements are too small, you can temporarily rename userChrome.css to userChrome.css.0 and restart to see if it helps.
Last edited by upnorth on Wed 07 Apr 2010, 16:28, edited 3 times in total.

Craig1016

Font Smoothing

#7 Post by Craig1016 »

THIS worked instantly ....!!!!! Thanks! How can I re-post to help any one else with the "dot matrix" view :-)

PostPosted: Today, at 14:53 Post subject: font rendering in interface elementsSubject description: poor font selection and rendering in various elements
I have only the default set of fonts on the system. Various elements of the interface were displaying the typface from nimbus sans L (apparently).

Also, the more common problem in dillo and opera with pages displaying bitmap fonts on occasions was present.
As a workaround:
I installed the package fontconfig-config (2.8.0-2ubuntu1). This corrected both problems.

See: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/fontconfig-config

stu90

#8 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:

Fix for laptop touchpad slow movements. Edit xorg.conf and replace these rows:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.10" 
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.30" 
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0030"
Change about three times bigger values:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.30" 
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.90" 
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0090"
Save and restart X.
nice one pemasu fix worked for me.

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

Bug

In xerrs.log it is reported the module "xtrap" is not loaded. Why? Because it does not exist, libxtrap.so . On some googling it seems Ubuntu dropped xtrap support some time ago. It doesn't seem to break anything although it says "xrandr" requires it. I just ran xrandr in a terminal and it seems ok.

Fix

Comment Load "xtrap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Cheers

Ray MK

#10 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Here is the latest Dillo.pet that I have - if it helps.

ttuuxxx also did a dillo with working cups very recently
he built it into turbopup extreme v1 - k2.6.26.16 - not sure if that's any use but thought I'd mention it.

very best regards - Ray

Ray MK

#11 Post by Ray MK »

Hi playdayz

Here is JRB's sfs loader for 431 and later puppy's.
Works with everything I've tried it with incl. lupu004

Load it and restart X - (when running live - ie no save_file)
no need to reboot - it's then ready to go.

Put whatever sfs files you may wish to use on a partition that is mounted -
then right-click appropriate sfs file and you are offered the choice to load this file.

This can be repeated countless times - or unload on the fly - as needed.

very best regards - Ray

I removed the attachment - 'cos the one referd to below is
jrb's latest and I suspect better.
Last edited by Ray MK on Thu 08 Apr 2010, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#12 Post by Ray MK »

Hi again

One second after posting - I saw this from jrb :-

I have just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4.pet and sfs_linker_default_apps431-0.1.pet

SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.4 has some new safeguards against removing common files that were installed before the SFS that you are removing. I have also modified it to be Upup compatible.

Rather than have two versions of SFS-TCZ_Linker, one with modified /usr/local/bin/defaults and one without, I have made those into a seperate .pet for Puppy431. If you like them use this .pet. If there is a demand I will make .pets for other pups as well.

Enjoy, J

http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/ ... et-md5.txt
http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/ ... et-md5.txt

regards - Ray

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

Bug

THE notorious JWM menu icon and window icon bug

Fix (well I am confident it is 8) )

I compiled JWM here

libpixman must be rolled back to the original Lucid version as is in 001 and 002. The fix is confirmed by myself, zigbert, and pemasu had an improved result though I don't think pixmap was rolled back in that case. Still waiting on aarf's report but I still think it is worth including in 005 without it.

jrb

abiword spell check fix

#14 Post by jrb »

Re: abiword spell check and edit-preferences crashing

I have just installed https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ab ... u1_all.deb and abiword spell checking and edit preferences now both work. :D

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:

fix

Ditto for 004. Symlink still missing. Fix is the same. Without the fix Pmusic and gxine are almost useless.

Cheers
Um, that bug is still there!

playdayz

#16 Post by playdayz »

upnorth, I think I got both the xgamma and the fonts config. in 006 to come. Thanks.

jrb

fixed Netsurf for CUPS

#17 Post by jrb »

Not all Netsurf's are created equal.

Here is the version of Netsurf that I used in ChoicePup412. It works with CUPS! I have set it up to work in lupup005. It has a modified /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer and /usr/sbin/cups_shell.

playdayz

#18 Post by playdayz »

Here is the version of Netsurf that I used in ChoicePup412. It works with CUPS! I have set it up to work in lupup005. It has a modified /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer and /usr/sbin/cups_shell.
How did you do it jrb, and is it possible without making any significant changes to cups_shell? Thanks

Oh, did you midify cups_shell just to start Netsurf? I am asking because I have modified cups_shell myself so I will have to compare. I assume that Cups does not need javascript then. I am waiting on an answer from Cups about that.

jrb

#19 Post by jrb »

playdayz wrote:How did you do it jrb, and is it possible without making any significant changes to cups_shell?
My apologies for not remembering sooner but I went through this exact same quandary when setting up ChoicePup412. :oops: I believe the netsurf-20071214.pet in the pet4 repoistory is broken. I tried a number of different small browsers and then started trying different versions of those. I don't remember exactly where I got this version but googling gives http://www.rjek.com/puppy/4.0/netsurf-0.4799-i486.pet which I assume is the same one.

Netsurf has some odd behaviors. Opening up websites, as in /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, works fine:

netsurf "$@"
but opening files, as in /defaulthtmlviewer, requires:

netsurf "file://$@"
I was in a hurry this morning to get this tested, done and posted before heading out for the day. Cups wizard kept opening up puppybrowser even after I changed /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer, /usr/local/bin/bareview and /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. So I grabbed /usr/sbin/cups_shell and changed it to:

netsurf http://localhost:631/
This worked, I posted it and left. Just returned home now.

I only installed the one printer, my network brother1430, but I did it three times and each one printed perfectly.

Do feel free to make changes. I'm not sure what else cups_shell does besides opening up localhost:631 so I may have flummoxed something.

Cheers, J

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:

fix

Cheers
Um, that bug is still there!
It is fixed for the next release of Woof, so Lupu 006 will have the fix.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]