Official 4.3.2

News, happenings
sindi

Puppy 4.3.2 vs 4.3.1-retro with fb on the same computer

#436 Post by sindi »

I am online with 4.3.2-plus (Seamonkey 2 - flashblock much appreciated at the murga-linux site, also the puppy bookmarks). DELL D600.

I seem to have a default 500MB filespace. I usually choose 32MB and then use shared browsers from outside the file system because I have lots of operating systems on a 10GB hard drive and that saves space.

Seamonkey just updated two of my addons automatically.
(Which means 4.3.2 was not quite up to date).

Flash is 10.0 (chosen for its size?). I read that 10.2 or later uses less memory. 10.1 uses more memory than 10.3 in my tests. 10.0 is 10 MB, 10.3 12.5 MB filesize.

Boots with lilo. I had to add pfix=ram so it would not use the pupsave.2fs file on my computer, which is from puppy 4.3.1-retro (older 2.6.21.7 kernel). Without this pfix, it wanted to update my 4.3.1 installation and would have messed things up because of the different kernels. I prefer the older kernel because it calls my ide drives hda not sda, and my hardware is 2003 or earlier. Retro kernel has worked on all but one (900MHz Toshiba laptop) computer.

I won't make a save file because in 4.3.1 I am using framebuffer console (much nicer-looking text than rxvt provides) and when booting I cannot see what is happening early enough to choose between pupsave files and it gets stuck on a black screen. If I knew enough I would change things so 4.3.2 looked for a differently named save file.

I will install to a different computer (without retro 4.3.1) and continue testing, after reading the 29 pages of discussion. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this version.

sindi

4.3.2 v3plus vs updated-glibc version

#437 Post by sindi »

The V3 plus version that I successfully downloaded has glibc 2.6.1 and flash 10.0.

Is the version with glibc 2.10 and flash 10.3 and newer libjpeg built from V3 plus or the original V3?

darry1966

Re: 4.3.2 v3plus vs updated-glibc version

#438 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:The V3 plus version that I successfully downloaded has glibc 2.6.1 and flash 10.0.

Is the version with glibc 2.10 and flash 10.3 and newer libjpeg built from V3 plus or the original V3?
Been having a little bit of fun with this Pup and woofy and decided to produce an updated iso with regards to glibc to 2.10/and added gtkdialog 4 etc anyway download from here and read the notes in text form also from here

To beto 2.10 honest I only Updated the following

glibc 2.10 and glibc locales
gtkdialog4
flashplayer 10.3.183.90
libjpeg’s 7 and 8
libtiff4.3.9.4-5

libstc++6_4.4.5-8
menumaker
Left original Seamonkey which updates to latest

So the rest is pretty original as abiword for example is 2.8 so this is still a good choice for old kit and the dbus libraries are already setup. So well done and thanks Ttuuxxx.

As of 30/11/2014

https://ia801705.us.archive.org/30/item ... pdated.iso

https://ia601708.us.archive.org/7/items ... pdated.iso

Plus .pets needed for plus version
https://ia601708.us.archive.org/7/items/432V3plus/
Last edited by darry1966 on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 20:09, edited 3 times in total.

sindi

which 4.3.2 is which

#439 Post by sindi »

I had already read what you kindly copied over again. I cannot tell
whether the 'pup' you updated with newer glibc and flash is 'V3 plus'
which I just downloaded, or the official V3 version at archive.org.

I am guessing the latter. I know how to update glibc and other libraries
manually.

(I just also checked lamia site, with opera, and all the puppy files I
checked are 404 not found though they are all listed in the index).

Is there some way other than in the middle of booting to instruct
puppy which pupsave.2fs file to load? I can point it at the sfs file.
I can't see the choices when I boot with framebuffer console - what
normally appears onscreen simply does not show up at that point in the
boot process.

ally

#440 Post by ally »

darry's version is called '4.3.2.V3_updated.iso' on archive.org and is here:

http://archive.org/download/4.3.2.V3/4. ... pdated.iso

the original is here:

http://ia601705.us.archive.org/30/items ... 3.2.V3.iso

and 'plus' is here:

http://ia601708.us.archive.org/7/items/ ... v3plus.iso

:)

darry1966

#441 Post by darry1966 »

thanks ally I tried to get links to work as you have done and couldn't lost hair tearing it out trying to understand how to do it.

Fossil

#442 Post by Fossil »

darry1966,
A quick 'How-To'

It's a three stage process to post a 'live' URL.
Assuming you have already copied the website address into memory.

ONE. Look up to the last rectangular box directly above the text box, the upper right, showing an underscored capitalized URL. Click on it.
This will appear TWO. Paste website address from memor ... /index.php [/url]

The website will now be 'live' and clickable.

darry1966

#443 Post by darry1966 »

Thanks Mr Fossil for taking the time to explain this.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dazsbar ... bc%202.10/
Last edited by darry1966 on Thu 16 Jan 2014, 02:20, edited 2 times in total.

Makoto

#444 Post by Makoto »

An easy way to do it is to enter the URL text first, highlight it, and then press the URL tag button. The editor will wrap both tags around the text. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

starhawk

#445 Post by starhawk »

sindi, do you still need 432v3? I don't think I have the updated version.

sindi

Forks of puppy 4.3.2v3

#446 Post by sindi »

Thanks starhawk - all three links are now listed clearly in one place.

V3 seems to have forked to Plus (a bunch of things changed but not glibc) and Updated (mainly newer glibc). I will attempt to combine the two sets of improvements unless someone more skilled can do that and post the result. I found a glibc 2.11.3 deb package.

4.3.2 is much appreciated. Wary is not useful on this 2003 laptop because cpufreq cannot be used as in Puppy 4 to keep the BIOS from fixing cpu speed at 600MHz instead of ranging up to 1.6GHz.

A little wire on motherboard is supposed to sense another wire in DELL OEM psu and if either breaks you can no longer either charge the battery or run at full speed - presumably a scheme to make you buy DELL's expensive psu.

Wary also won't work with loadlin, and has to be in sda1 (or maybe just the first 8GB) to work with lilo, unlike puppy 4.

sindi

updated glibc and standalone youtube-dl

#447 Post by sindi »

There is a standalone youtube-dl that works with puppy 5's and also with a puppy 4.1.2
with updated glibc (from 2.6.1), that requires glibc 2.7 or later. I suggest updating
the 'plus' version to glibc 2.10 or later. Opera 12.10 requires 2.8 or later.
Youtube-dl lets you download a video as mp4 and play it with mplayer, using far less
memory and cpu than a graphical browser and flash, and thus play youtube on computer
that won't run Puppy 5 (with the gtk-youtube-viewer) or is too slow/low-ram for flash
plus graphical browser.

darry1966

Re: updated glibc and standalone youtube-dl

#448 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:There is a standalone youtube-dl that works with puppy 5's and also with a puppy 4.1.2
with updated glibc (from 2.6.1), that requires glibc 2.7 or later. I suggest updating
the 'plus' version to glibc 2.10 or later. Opera 12.10 requires 2.8 or later.
Youtube-dl lets you download a video as mp4 and play it with mplayer, using far less
memory and cpu than a graphical browser and flash, and thus play youtube on computer
that won't run Puppy 5 (with the gtk-youtube-viewer) or is too slow/low-ram for flash
plus graphical browser.
Ok here is an updated as requested 432v3plus only things you need to do is install the ffmpeg update included in the folder, edit desktop browse icon to exec seamonkey and copy xmms lib file to usr/lib once downloaded. Has glibc2.11 and working vlc from wary plus required QT and xine instructions are in the folder.
Lbstd6c++6 also in folder and menumaker.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dazsba ... glibc2.11/

sindi

Re v3 updated plus

#449 Post by sindi »

So now we have a V3, a V3-plus with glibc 2.6 and flash 10.0, a V3-updated with glibc 2.10 and flash 10.3, and the latest is, if I understood correctly:

updated-plus with glibc 2.11, flash 10.3 (?), and the pieces needed to manually update ffmpeg, and xmms, and to add vlc from wary with QT libraries

What do I edit in the initrd.gz or sfs so puppy 4.3.2 will create and look for a save file with a name different from 4.3.1? I will test this out without a save file and then install to a different computer without 4.3.1 on it.

How do I update perl to 5.10 so I can use gtk-youtube-viewer for Puppy 5 with this nicely updated 4.3.2? (It may also need the newer glibc and gtk).

sindi

Puppy 4.3..2 v3 plus updated much larger

#450 Post by sindi »

Darry's 'old' plus iso is about 115MB and the updated one (without the pets and libraries to be downloaded and added separately) about 185MB. The deb glibc 2.11 update package is under 4MB. What is the additional 65MB? (Maybe I got something confused).

Thanks for granting my wish for a new improved 4.3.2.

darry1966

Re: Puppy 4.3..2 v3 plus updated much larger

#451 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:Darry's 'old' plus iso is about 115MB and the updated one (without the pets and libraries to be downloaded and added separately) about 185MB. The deb glibc 2.11 update package is under 4MB. What is the additional 65MB? (Maybe I got something confused).

Thanks for granting my wish for a new improved 4.3.2.
VLC, QT from Wary and Xine were added. VLC was into response nubc

sindi

Testing out updated plus

#452 Post by sindi »

Nice work-in-progress.

A few comments:

1. When updating glibc I always rm /lib/*2.6.1* (old glibc libraries) - saves space.

2. I can't read the black text on the pretty dark blue wallpaper. Menus quite legible.
Interesting screensaver.

3. You2pup 1.3.2 is too old. you2pup 2.2.1 won't download a youtube mp4 though someone claims it works in a puppy 5. you2pup 2.2.1 pet was posted October 2013 based on movgrab (from Dec 2011) that tests out working at youtube, so something else is missing in puppy 4.

There is a standalone youtube-dl pet that works in puppy 4 with glibc 2.7.

4. Mozilla Build of Seamonkey (under both Document and Internet) and Seamonkey Browser are both in the menu - minor goof.

Video, sound, and network work well on my 2003 D600 DELL.

The CPU frequency tool starts with default acpi-cpufreq, min frequency 1GHz (wrong, should be 600mhz) and max 1.6GHz. I changed to min 1.6GHz, clicked on a couple of buttons, and I now have 1.6GHz. This 'speedstep' -enabled computer has a wire that detects if you have paid dell for an OEM power supply and turns down the speed to 600MHz if it does not find a matching psu wire (or if the motherboard wire broke) . You need cpufreq to turn it back up. In Wary 5.5 cpufreq will not accept a higher max frequency than 600MHz. This one improvement has won me over to 4.3.2. The cpufreq tool here is much much simpler and faster to use than in 4.1.2., 4.3.1, or 5.5 Wary.

A perl 5.10 upgrade to 4.3.2-updated might let us use gtk-youtube-viewer (or at least the non-gtk part of it youtube-viewer) for wary 5.5. It works in wary with mplayer and i think will also work with xine. A puppy 5 perl5.10 pet would not install in puppy 4.

Do we need both xine and vlc? The sfs is rather large this way.
xine is in the puppy 4 repository. (Maybe vlc requires xine?).

darry1966

Re: Testing out updated plus

#453 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:Nice work-in-progress.

A few comments:

1. When updating glibc I always rm /lib/*2.6.1* (old glibc libraries) - saves space.

2. I can't read the black text on the pretty dark blue wallpaper. Menus quite legible.
Interesting screensaver.

3. You2pup 1.3.2 is too old. you2pup 2.2.1 won't download a youtube mp4 though someone claims it works in a puppy 5. you2pup 2.2.1 pet was posted October 2013 based on movgrab (from Dec 2011) that tests out working at youtube, so something else is missing in puppy 4.

There is a standalone youtube-dl pet that works in puppy 4 with glibc 2.7.

4. Mozilla Build of Seamonkey (under both Document and Internet) and Seamonkey Browser are both in the menu - minor goof.

Video, sound, and network work well on my 2003 D600 DELL.

The CPU frequency tool starts with default acpi-cpufreq, min frequency 1GHz (wrong, should be 600mhz) and max 1.6GHz. I changed to min 1.6GHz, clicked on a couple of buttons, and I now have 1.6GHz. This 'speedstep' -enabled computer has a wire that detects if you have paid dell for an OEM power supply and turns down the speed to 600MHz if it does not find a matching psu wire (or if the motherboard wire broke) . You need cpufreq to turn it back up. In Wary 5.5 cpufreq will not accept a higher max frequency than 600MHz. This one improvement has won me over to 4.3.2. The cpufreq tool here is much much simpler and faster to use than in 4.1.2., 4.3.1, or 5.5 Wary.

A perl 5.10 upgrade to 4.3.2-updated might let us use gtk-youtube-viewer (or at least the non-gtk part of it youtube-viewer) for wary 5.5. It works in wary with mplayer and i think will also work with xine. A puppy 5 perl5.10 pet would not install in puppy 4.

Do we need both xine and vlc? The sfs is rather large this way.
xine is in the puppy 4 repository. (Maybe vlc requires xine?).
Yeah sorry about mistakes I conjured it up in a bit of hurry to help yourself and Nubc and others who would find it helpful - the special xine or xine-full is made by Shinobar and in conjuction with ffmpeg update allows pretty good mp4 playback so thanks again the genius that is Shinobar and of Course Ttuuuxxy for the original 4.32v3 and plus. At the end of the day it gives you something to work with. Also Woofy remaster can sometimes produce a few quirky results with remasters, good tool though.

Thankyou Scottsman. Anyway I'm really tired so having a rest so enjoy.

sindi

pstreamvid and libxmms

#454 Post by sindi »

I downloaded the libxmms.so.1 which has the same size and md5sum as /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1.3.1 already in puppy 4.3.2.

Pstreamvid does not play any of its the default stations with xine - complains of missing plugin and for one station it listed the name of the missing dll.

mplayer from puppy 4 repository played sound in a solid blue box for first and last stations
and nothing at all for the others, even with the 10MB of codecs installed.

I did not run across a recent version of pstreamvid.

The Save dialog box is still partway off the bottom of the screen as it has been in all versions of puppy 4. Resolution 1024x768.

sindi

mplayer and xine display solid blue

#455 Post by sindi »

The movgrab from you2pup 2.2.1 downloads youtube videos if you specify the format (otherwise it looks for webm and downloads nothing).

you2pup (the front end), even with mp4:480x360 in the box, tries to download webm and gets nowheere.

Both xine and the mplayer 4 from the puppy 4 repository play the downloaded file with good sound and solid blue video. I had downloaded (with youtube-dl) and played one of the videos before in another puppy (4.1.2?) with mplayer (from 4.1.2-based pulp linux) and the xine in puppy 4.3.1.

vlc plays both mp4s with good sound and solid black video.

pvidstream plays solid blue videos with mplayer and nothing with xine.

Anyone else have these problems playing known-good mp4s?

I tried both before and after installing vlc and ffmpeg and the other pets.