Official 4.3.2

News, happenings
darry1966

Re: Puppy 4.3..2 v3 plus updated much larger

#451 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:Darry's 'old' plus iso is about 115MB and the updated one (without the pets and libraries to be downloaded and added separately) about 185MB. The deb glibc 2.11 update package is under 4MB. What is the additional 65MB? (Maybe I got something confused).

Thanks for granting my wish for a new improved 4.3.2.
VLC, QT from Wary and Xine were added. VLC was into response nubc

sindi

Testing out updated plus

#452 Post by sindi »

Nice work-in-progress.

A few comments:

1. When updating glibc I always rm /lib/*2.6.1* (old glibc libraries) - saves space.

2. I can't read the black text on the pretty dark blue wallpaper. Menus quite legible.
Interesting screensaver.

3. You2pup 1.3.2 is too old. you2pup 2.2.1 won't download a youtube mp4 though someone claims it works in a puppy 5. you2pup 2.2.1 pet was posted October 2013 based on movgrab (from Dec 2011) that tests out working at youtube, so something else is missing in puppy 4.

There is a standalone youtube-dl pet that works in puppy 4 with glibc 2.7.

4. Mozilla Build of Seamonkey (under both Document and Internet) and Seamonkey Browser are both in the menu - minor goof.

Video, sound, and network work well on my 2003 D600 DELL.

The CPU frequency tool starts with default acpi-cpufreq, min frequency 1GHz (wrong, should be 600mhz) and max 1.6GHz. I changed to min 1.6GHz, clicked on a couple of buttons, and I now have 1.6GHz. This 'speedstep' -enabled computer has a wire that detects if you have paid dell for an OEM power supply and turns down the speed to 600MHz if it does not find a matching psu wire (or if the motherboard wire broke) . You need cpufreq to turn it back up. In Wary 5.5 cpufreq will not accept a higher max frequency than 600MHz. This one improvement has won me over to 4.3.2. The cpufreq tool here is much much simpler and faster to use than in 4.1.2., 4.3.1, or 5.5 Wary.

A perl 5.10 upgrade to 4.3.2-updated might let us use gtk-youtube-viewer (or at least the non-gtk part of it youtube-viewer) for wary 5.5. It works in wary with mplayer and i think will also work with xine. A puppy 5 perl5.10 pet would not install in puppy 4.

Do we need both xine and vlc? The sfs is rather large this way.
xine is in the puppy 4 repository. (Maybe vlc requires xine?).

darry1966

Re: Testing out updated plus

#453 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:Nice work-in-progress.

A few comments:

1. When updating glibc I always rm /lib/*2.6.1* (old glibc libraries) - saves space.

2. I can't read the black text on the pretty dark blue wallpaper. Menus quite legible.
Interesting screensaver.

3. You2pup 1.3.2 is too old. you2pup 2.2.1 won't download a youtube mp4 though someone claims it works in a puppy 5. you2pup 2.2.1 pet was posted October 2013 based on movgrab (from Dec 2011) that tests out working at youtube, so something else is missing in puppy 4.

There is a standalone youtube-dl pet that works in puppy 4 with glibc 2.7.

4. Mozilla Build of Seamonkey (under both Document and Internet) and Seamonkey Browser are both in the menu - minor goof.

Video, sound, and network work well on my 2003 D600 DELL.

The CPU frequency tool starts with default acpi-cpufreq, min frequency 1GHz (wrong, should be 600mhz) and max 1.6GHz. I changed to min 1.6GHz, clicked on a couple of buttons, and I now have 1.6GHz. This 'speedstep' -enabled computer has a wire that detects if you have paid dell for an OEM power supply and turns down the speed to 600MHz if it does not find a matching psu wire (or if the motherboard wire broke) . You need cpufreq to turn it back up. In Wary 5.5 cpufreq will not accept a higher max frequency than 600MHz. This one improvement has won me over to 4.3.2. The cpufreq tool here is much much simpler and faster to use than in 4.1.2., 4.3.1, or 5.5 Wary.

A perl 5.10 upgrade to 4.3.2-updated might let us use gtk-youtube-viewer (or at least the non-gtk part of it youtube-viewer) for wary 5.5. It works in wary with mplayer and i think will also work with xine. A puppy 5 perl5.10 pet would not install in puppy 4.

Do we need both xine and vlc? The sfs is rather large this way.
xine is in the puppy 4 repository. (Maybe vlc requires xine?).
Yeah sorry about mistakes I conjured it up in a bit of hurry to help yourself and Nubc and others who would find it helpful - the special xine or xine-full is made by Shinobar and in conjuction with ffmpeg update allows pretty good mp4 playback so thanks again the genius that is Shinobar and of Course Ttuuuxxy for the original 4.32v3 and plus. At the end of the day it gives you something to work with. Also Woofy remaster can sometimes produce a few quirky results with remasters, good tool though.

Thankyou Scottsman. Anyway I'm really tired so having a rest so enjoy.

sindi

pstreamvid and libxmms

#454 Post by sindi »

I downloaded the libxmms.so.1 which has the same size and md5sum as /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1.3.1 already in puppy 4.3.2.

Pstreamvid does not play any of its the default stations with xine - complains of missing plugin and for one station it listed the name of the missing dll.

mplayer from puppy 4 repository played sound in a solid blue box for first and last stations
and nothing at all for the others, even with the 10MB of codecs installed.

I did not run across a recent version of pstreamvid.

The Save dialog box is still partway off the bottom of the screen as it has been in all versions of puppy 4. Resolution 1024x768.

sindi

mplayer and xine display solid blue

#455 Post by sindi »

The movgrab from you2pup 2.2.1 downloads youtube videos if you specify the format (otherwise it looks for webm and downloads nothing).

you2pup (the front end), even with mp4:480x360 in the box, tries to download webm and gets nowheere.

Both xine and the mplayer 4 from the puppy 4 repository play the downloaded file with good sound and solid blue video. I had downloaded (with youtube-dl) and played one of the videos before in another puppy (4.1.2?) with mplayer (from 4.1.2-based pulp linux) and the xine in puppy 4.3.1.

vlc plays both mp4s with good sound and solid black video.

pvidstream plays solid blue videos with mplayer and nothing with xine.

Anyone else have these problems playing known-good mp4s?

I tried both before and after installing vlc and ffmpeg and the other pets.

darry1966

Re: mplayer and xine display solid blue

#456 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:The movgrab from you2pup 2.2.1 downloads youtube videos if you specify the format (otherwise it looks for webm and downloads nothing).

you2pup (the front end), even with mp4:480x360 in the box, tries to download webm and gets nowheere.

Both xine and the mplayer 4 from the puppy 4 repository play the downloaded file with good sound and solid blue video. I had downloaded (with youtube-dl) and played one of the videos before in another puppy (4.1.2?) with mplayer (from 4.1.2-based pulp linux) and the xine in puppy 4.3.1.

vlc plays both mp4s with good sound and solid black video.

pvidstream plays solid blue videos with mplayer and nothing with xine.

Anyone else have these problems playing known-good mp4s?

I tried both before and after installing vlc and ffmpeg and the other pets.

You may be interested in these 2 mplayer packages from Patriot - ffmpeg is inbuilt.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=292855

darry1966

Re: pstreamvid and libxmms

#457 Post by darry1966 »

sindi wrote:I downloaded the libxmms.so.1 which has the same size and md5sum as /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1.3.1 already in puppy 4.3.2.

Needed for xmms to play when running from commandline it asks for this file

sindi

libxmms and blue screens when playing mp4 in 4.3.2

#458 Post by sindi »

I think libxmms is already in the .sfs file identical to the one at the download site so no need to add it. Same versions and md5sums.

The mplayer I have been using works in every puppy I have tried it in (4.1.2, 4.3.1 and I think wary 5.5) except this one, where it plays mp4s as solid blue, as does xine, whereas vlc plays them solid black. (An earlier mplayer omitted the sound). So I don't think a newer mplayer is needed. Do mplayer, xine, and vlc work properly in 4.3.2 for the rest of you? My DELL D600 has very standard video (i810 I think).

Should you2pup and pvidstream be omitted?
I would like a text browser but can add my own or ssh to sdf.org[/list]

sszindian

Google Earth

#459 Post by sszindian »

Anyone know of a '.sfs' Google Earth that works in 4.3.2?

If not, anyone know 'how' to get one of existing ones to work (even a .pet would be OK)?

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Gurglin

Working link for downloading 4.32v3 Updated with glibc 2.10?

#460 Post by Gurglin »

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find and download the latest version of Puppy 4.32v3?

I assume it is what darry1966 prepared, called "4.32v3 Updated with glibc 2.10", but sadly enough darry1966 link does not work any more.

I wonder if sindi also managed to combine the Plus and Updated versions...

Thanks!
[url=http://gurgleitaly.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/open-letter-to-open-source-community/]Open Letter to the Open Source Community[/url]

Colonel Panic

Re: Working link for downloading 4.32v3 Updated with glibc 2.10?

#461 Post by Colonel Panic »

Gurglin wrote:Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find and download the latest version of Puppy 4.32v3?

I assume it is what darry1966 prepared, called "4.32v3 Updated with glibc 2.10", but sadly enough darry1966 link does not work any more.

Thanks!
You could try this one;

https://archive.org/details/4.3.2.V3

Darry's bigger, "Workhorse" versions of Puppy 4.31 are worth a look as well though, and they can be found here;

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Workhorseos
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

darry1966

Re: Working link for downloading 4.32v3 Updated with glibc 2.10?

#462 Post by darry1966 »

Gurglin wrote:Hi,

Thanks!
My updated version is this one: https://ia601705.us.archive.org/30/item ... pdated.iso

darry1966

Updated 4.32plus

#463 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Again,

432 plus updated here: https://ia601708.us.archive.org/7/items ... pdated.iso

As always we can thank Ally for saving our work.

Gurglin

Should I download and install other packages?

#464 Post by Gurglin »

Great! Thanks a lot for the prompt feedback! Is it “ready to go
[url=http://gurgleitaly.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/open-letter-to-open-source-community/]Open Letter to the Open Source Community[/url]

s243a

Re: Official 4.3.2

#465 Post by s243a »

ttuuxxx wrote:V3 http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/4.2/V3.iso
md5 71aea85e9fd805b7e6d02ea3baa3d0df
Reload browsers your screen a few (7-8) times if you get the current download limit exceeded. It'll still work.

Well Barry mentioned I could release a 4.3.2 bug fix release and doing so will buy some time for 5 series to be released in about 5 weeks, At this point in time that is what I'm prepared to do and have started. I'll spend maybe 1-2 days on this and I won't be taking over 4 series right now but I'll build a 4.3.2 bug release based on 4.3.1.
Basically I'll do like what I did with 2.14X manually edit the iso and rebuild the image. The reason why I'm not using woof is because, woof takes hundreds of packages, and from my past experiences with it its great if your going to continue support, and build numerous bug fix releases. Its basically something you can build on, But the way I've been doing things in 2.14X Its just way more simpler,quicker etc to do it my way. Woof is great if you don't have a base to start with, where as with 4.3.1 I have a great tried and true base to work with.

So far this is what I've done in the past 24hrs
-Seamonkey <--- I download SM2 sources to compile it, It wouldn't compile right at all, what a pain I spent maybe 5 hrs on it, Then said $#$## I'm using the default one, So with the default one I had to add an updated sqlite and dbus, ok I can live with that.
I hated the default theme, and the "modern" theme, so I tossed them both out and added the mostly crystal theme which looks great, Seamonkey is getting sneaky with there settings, the 2 series is made so that every time you install install it, it displays the seamonkey homepage, They actually removed a java script file that would let me change that. So I added it back, lol Now I have it set to google. Same with the browser GUI settings I had to hack that a little to keep the home and flash on/off buttons.
Oh ya addons are flash block, close button on each tab any addon can be removed via the menu. I'm not adding any more, I want to keep the size to a min, Talking about size this release will be around 3-4MB larger due to using a full Seamonkey release from mozilla, I did remove around 2.5mb uncompressed from it but that's about the most. The directory is 38MB expanded and was over 40MB to start with.
-I've upgrade rox and rox mime images, since I read there was some issue with the current one, I just used the one in quirky, it works great.
I update a few icons, without going too nuts with it.
-updated blinky to a better one I made before.
Now I'm going to look at the 4.3.1 bug section and try to sort that out.
If you have any fixes that aren't list in the 4.3.1 bug section please list them here.
At this point I'm only updating the "P" software and fixing bugs.
I did read that abiword had some issues so I'll look fixing/compiling that also.
Please don't ask to add software etc, this is a bug fix release. well new "P" software is okay.
ttuuxxx

Below is what I turned Seamonkey 2 into

List of changes
V1
-Seamonkey 2 with extras
-Rox-filer
-Dbus and setup
-Sqlite
-icons
-blinky
-moved trash icon to the bottom of the screen
-removed -bg from absvolume located in xinitrc

V2
-fixed cups not starting due to SM2 install
-removed puppy browsers
-updated to pburn-3.2.3
-updated to pfind-4.18
-updated geany's configure (better search bar location and line numbers inc)
-added rt rox click for many Gtkhash executes
-fix and installed Sqlite manager, no longer crashes
-updated partview and added menu listing
-added a xvesa dialog if Xorg is running, a window opens up and gives you a selection that exits-X and starts the xorgwizard where you can select xvesa or xorg, basically just a reduced vesion of the xorg wizard.
-fixed the pwireless typo line 572
-update to abiword-2.8.2, due to crashes on previous version, with support for docx, .odt Thanks to technosaurus package
-update gnumeric-1.10.0 with technosaurus package
-updated goffice-0.8.1 I compiled this one and didn't use technosaurus version so I wouldn't have to update libgsf, or anything else, trying to keep everything stable :)

V3(not released/finished)
-updated isomaster-1.3.7
-fixed the puppy-installer
-updated the shutdown script
-fixed abiword spellcheck
-added switchoff.0.10 (acpid-1.0.10)
-fixed missing sfsconvert icon due to rox upgrade.
-updated bugfix XFProt-0.2
-fixed Cups bug
-added jemimah's small screen apps that fix the screen sizes of the following programs Pupdial, Xorg Wizard, BootFlash, Pdict, Connect Wizard, Boot Manager, Global Font Size, DotPup, Puppy Package Manager, PRename,Time Server Synchronizer
-updated ayttm-0.6.1-0
-updated jwmthememaker-1.4
-added new for 4 series PCountdown-1.1 timer
-updated pschedule-0.8-1
-added new for 4 series pupRadio-0.5.2
-updated you2pup-1.3-2
-added new for 4 series dir2targz, rt click on any directory and it will tar.gz it.
-updated to bzip2-1.0.5
-updated to e2fsprogs-1.41.11
-added replaced glipper with glipper-lite
-added lameSMBqmount-0.1.1 & lameSMBxplorer-0.2.1b
-updated tar-1.23
-removed top and added htop-0.8.3
-updated to asunder-1.9.1
-updated to cpu-scaling-ondemand-1.3-1
-updated to gtkam-0.1.17
-updated to libgphoto2-2.4.8
-updated to pbackup-3.1.8
-updated to openssl-1.0.0
-updated to gphoto2-2.4.8
-added gphotofs-0.4.0
-updated xorgwizard
-updated pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-1
-added xgamma-gui
-added modem_fix_pack_to_431-5
-updated pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-3
-updated remasterpup2
-systemlinked bareview to defaultbrowser so delayedrun works
-removed ycalc 22kb pet
-removed cgtkcalc 30kb pet
-removed ycalc 22kb pet
-removed xcalc 11kb pet
total 4 calculators = 85kb
-added Galculator 68kb and way nicer gui :)
I was updating the puppylinux wiki and I noticed that the above links don't work. Has this info been moved or archived somewhere else?

ally

#466 Post by ally »

see darry's link, just tried it, working ok

:)

s243a

#467 Post by s243a »

ally wrote:see darry's link, just tried it, working ok

:)
Thankyou :)

I think I got them all:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy432