How to do touchscreen works on an eeepc running puppeee ?

lcande

How to do touchscreen works on an eeepc running puppeee ?

#1 Post by lcande »

Hi All,
I'm running a puppeee on an eeepc. I have egalaxy touchsreen on it.
I can't run the modprobe usbtouchsreen and evtouch at all.
the kernel is 2.6.31.5. I've read severals post but nothing worked
for me. Any idea ??

thanks in advance....

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

If you send me a link to the drivers, I can add them to the next Puppeee.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

lcande

#4 Post by lcande »

Thanks for reply, tempestuos.

I tried your instructions, but when I run the " make menuconfig" comand , it returns:

bash : make: command not found
:(

[/quote]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

you need to add the devx to allow you to compile programs (use the make program) or wait for Jemimahs next update
http://puppeee.com/web/download/

Be aware of the comments in the next thread from tempestuous
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 26 Jun 2010, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Well if you're trying to compile kernel modules, then you will also need the compatible kernel source.
lcande wrote:Thanks for reply, tempestuos.
I tried your instructions, but when I run the " make menuconfig" comand , it returns:

bash : make: command not found
My reply was a link to another forum link where I provided pre-compiled Xorg plugins for various Puppy versions. I did not provide any reference to the "make menuconfig" command, neither did I suggest comiling modules.
You're probably "mix-and-matching" other information gleaned from this forum.

I caution that compiling kernel modules is a non-trivial process. If you're not already familiar with this process, I recommend you use my pre-compiled packages.

jemimah

#7 Post by jemimah »

I believe the kernel module is already there. But I'm using the Xorg from Quirky so the Xorg driver likely needs to be built from source. I will attempt to build it if I have at least one tester who wants to test it.

starbuckroad

#8 Post by starbuckroad »

I'm in the same situation. I can't get the modprobe to work either. I can test if its working.

lcande

#9 Post by lcande »

Hi jehmimah,

How could you help me with this problem?
What can I do to order to test your solution ? Do I need to download another version of puppeee ?

thanks in advance,

lcande

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

I will post a pet when I get a chance to do the research and build the driver. I should have time to work on this shortly.

technosaurus

#11 Post by technosaurus »

Isn't this part of the functionality Xinput?
I think that Barry built gtk2 (at least the dingo series 2.14.7 version) without Xinput support and thus all the programs compiled against it may be without Xinput support.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#12 Post by jemimah »

Hmmm, that could be a problem.

I'll see if I can get the Xorg driver to compile and well go from there I guess.

technosaurus

#13 Post by technosaurus »

if you end up having to recompile gtk2, here are a couple of things to note:
Pango after version 1.24.5 pulls in libstdc++ due to changes in one module
Gtk after 2.18.9 requires gobject-introspect
Gtk after 2.16.6 needs a patched version of ROX-Filer
Xinput must be explicitly enabled at compile time
seamonkey and firefox have the insert key bug if gtk is compiled with debugging off - minimum is fine. (Barry actually did 2 compiles because it doesn't affect all gtk libraries)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#14 Post by jemimah »

Does it work to just drop in an upgraded set of gtk libs? Or will i have to rebuild every gtk app?

technosaurus

#15 Post by technosaurus »

I am really not sure - most should work fine I would assume - unless they have specific code for extra (or less maybe?) features if compiled xinput enabled. What comes to my mind would be programs like mypaint that have pressure sensitivity or other features that aren't normally available - it depends on if the code compiled out by not being defined if xinput is not available, but I would thing that regular mouse operations should still work fine.

It would be nice if any "recommends" or "optional" libraries could be compilable with dlopen and that ldd would report them as such (like GL, GLU etc.. for xorg drivers and several parts of wine use libs that ldd can't pick up)

Antzus

#16 Post by Antzus »

Well this thread is a bit ancient, but it seems it never got resolved. I ordered a touchscreen for my eee pc 701, but was disappointed that I couldn't get it to work with Puppeee (kernel 2.6.33.2). It seems there's several modules missing (notably, usbtouchscreen and evdev), so the comprehensive HOWTO written by Tempestuous doesn't work. The touchscreen (it seems to be an egalax) came with a bunch of drivers, and I did my best to do something with the Debian driver, but it seems it was all beyond my abilities.
Any suggestions? Or don't touchscreens and this distro co-operate together?

Q5sys

#17 Post by Q5sys »

Antzus wrote:Well this thread is a bit ancient, but it seems it never got resolved. I ordered a touchscreen for my eee pc 701, but was disappointed that I couldn't get it to work with Puppeee (kernel 2.6.33.2). It seems there's several modules missing (notably, usbtouchscreen and evdev), so the comprehensive HOWTO written by Tempestuous doesn't work. The touchscreen (it seems to be an egalax) came with a bunch of drivers, and I did my best to do something with the Debian driver, but it seems it was all beyond my abilities.
Any suggestions? Or don't touchscreens and this distro co-operate together?
You may have luck with a newer kernel, since more touch input drivers have been added. Anything newer than 3.7 should be good.

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

I think (?) that when this thread started, Puppeee was at version 4.3.
Yes, jemimah's efforts to add the usbtouchscreen kernel module, plus the evtouch Xorg plugin appear to be unresolved, but I suspect she may have paid more attention to including these components in the next Puppeee version; 4.4.
Unfortunately she became too busy with work, and Puppeee 4.4 got no further than beta stage -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59556
If you can track down a copy of Puppeee 4.4beta, this might (?) work OK ...
otherwise you could try Fluppy, which is similar to Puppeee, but without Eee-specific tweaks ...
or Saluki, which jemimah recommends as the most up-to-date equivalent of Puppeee.

I suggest you don't try to add the components, yourself, to Puppeee 4.3 - this will be extremely difficult:
i) the 2.6.33 kernel is not the same as contained in the Lucid 5.1 series - the Puppeee kernel has a modified configuration, and you would need to match that configuration.
ii) Puppeee 4.3 contains Xorg from Quirky, so you would need to compile the evtouch plugin from Quirky-compatible Xorg source.
Q5sys wrote:Anything newer than (kernel) 3.7 should be good.
A new kernel is not the issue. You simply need the relevant kernel module + Xorg plugin - in the case of Antzus this is usbtouchscreen + evtouch. I provided these as far back as 2009.
If Antzus is not concerned with Eee-specific tweaks, he can use Puppy 4.3 with my dotpet, or Puppy Lucid 5.1/5.2 which already contains the usbtouchscreen + evtouch components ...
or Saluki as jemimah suggests for Eee owners.

Antzus

#19 Post by Antzus »

Thanks for the input. I assumed a kernel upgrade was something way beyond my abilities.

Strange, I tried your dotpet, Tempestuous - touchscreen-Puppy4.1.pet - but it didn't work. I can't find those modules. The pet file should contain those two kernel modules, you say?

I'm led to believe Puppeee 1.0 is based on Puppy 4.3. I didn't realise a newer Puppeee existed beyond the conceptual stage. I'll try some newer distros and see if I have more success.

Q5sys

#20 Post by Q5sys »

tempestuous wrote:
Q5sys wrote:Anything newer than (kernel) 3.7 should be good.
A new kernel is not the issue. You simply need the relevant kernel module + Xorg plugin - in the case of Antzus this is usbtouchscreen + evtouch. I provided these as far back as 2009.
If Antzus is not concerned with Eee-specific tweaks, he can use Puppy 4.3 with my dotpet, or Puppy Lucid 5.1/5.2 which already contains the usbtouchscreen + evtouch components ...
or Saluki as jemimah suggests for Eee owners.
Ah ok, thanks for correcting me.