Having trouble using Puppy's audio recording software

Booting, installing, newbie
Robin Richardson

Having trouble using Puppy's audio recording software

#1 Post by Robin Richardson »

Could anyone please recommend some very simple audio recording software for Puppy. I have tried Sweep, mhwaveedit also Recordpad.

These have installed OK but I cannot get them to work. Is this because I am running off a USB stick?

Thank you for any comments/help.

Robin Richardson

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

wavrec from command line
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WavRec

let us know if it works for you ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

abushcrafter

Re: Audio Recording software

#3 Post by abushcrafter »

Robin Richardson wrote:Is this because I am running off a USB stick?
No.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

mhWaveEdit works a treat for me. If you want help, you'll have to tell us what you tried and what happened. Merely saying you can't get it to work isn't enough.

ravensrest

#5 Post by ravensrest »

I've used mhWaveEdit for a couple of years now to record from mic or line. The only times I've had a problem is if one or more pertinent gain controls are set to zero. Be aware that there does appear to be some interaction of installed mixers in Puppy however. For instance, I have had occasion to set the various gain controls in Alsamixer and then had to reset them in gmixer/xmixer/zmixer or other installed mixer.

That you are operating from a memory stick should make no difference.

BS

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Presumably you can play audio OK?

Check the volumes in alsamixer (use the arrow keys to navigate, and tab to switch between record/playback/both controls) as everything may not show up in other mixers. And check that things aren't muted (press the m key to toggle whether something is muted).
Depending on your sound card there may be a mixer control with an unlikely sounding name that affects it...
Could anyone please recommend some very simple audio recording software for Puppy.
Personally I prefer audacity, but it depends what you mean by very simple - you might just want precord
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Robin Richardson

Audio Recording Software

#7 Post by Robin Richardson »

Thank you to everyone for their help.

I have made mhwaveedit to work after a fashion. I created /root/.mhwaveedit/config and changed the mixer to Alsamixer.

I am using "Front Mic" as my input source which gives low volume, slightly hissy results, recording from Internet Radio.

Any ideas for improvement, please?

Many thanks

Robin Richardson

rjbrewer

#8 Post by rjbrewer »

If you are using a pc with line input you can get good results.
Laptop mic input....not good.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Robin Richardson

Audio Recording Software

#9 Post by Robin Richardson »

Hi RJ

Sorry - I meant streamed radio via the PC.

Thanks

Robin

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

With my sound cards (I think it is normal for most cards), I can choose "Mix" or "Mix mono" as the input device to record from internet radio. This will basically copy the audio stream that is being send to the sound card output, and will get much better quality than using a mic to record the output from your speakers, although if you investigate a little you can probably find a way to dump the raw encoded audio (which might be something like mp3) to file before it is converted into whatever your sound card outputs (44100Hz, 16 bit pcm or something).

If you don't have a "Mix" device it might have some other name.

Otherwise you could get a cable to plug your speaker or headphone output into your line input.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

8-bit

#11 Post by 8-bit »

If you are recording internet radio, you might try streamtuner and stream ripper.
I have used it to record songs from internet radio and it seperates the songs as well as being able to make a cd from the saved songs complete with artist and title on the CD that is visible depending on the player used.
In my wife's car, the cd player can display the title and artist of a song being played.

Ron

#12 Post by Ron »

"...you might just want precord"
As suggested by Disciple, precord is a very nice, very simple program which listens to any audio stream no matter what the source (basically, if you can hear it you can record it), and automatically records it as an mp3 file. I have found it perfect for my purposes. You don't have to mess with conversions through LAME or anything if you want a compressed format.

Also, as mentioned by Disciple, in any of these kind of programs you need to make sure Alsamixer is set up properly.
There is more info on this in the thread linked in his post.

abushcrafter

#13 Post by abushcrafter »

Ron wrote:
"...you might just want precord"
As suggested by Disciple, precord is a very nice, very simple program which listens to any audio stream no matter what the source (basically, if you can hear it you can record it), and automatically records it as an mp3 file. I have found it perfect for my purposes. You don't have to mess with conversions through LAME or anything if you want a compressed format.

Also, as mentioned by Disciple, in any of these kind of programs you need to make sure Alsamixer is set up properly.
There is more info on this in the thread linked in his post.
Oh no not straight into a mp3 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: can't it do a flac or wav and ogg too? ogg is the only GOOD lossy format it gives far better audio quality for the same compression! Sorry but I just can't stand everything being only available in mp3,wma,acc,etc!

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

I don't know if precord has a setting to choose another format, but even if it doesn't it should be easy enough to modify it yourself to record to another format.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Ron

#15 Post by Ron »

If anyone is successful with getting Precord to do ogg or something else, please post it. I would be interested. I settle for mp3 because I'm just not that particular and Precord is simple and convenient which was my main concern. Still, if it could be made to work with ogg, that would be ideal for sure.

Otherwise, is there another simple "what you hear is what you get" recorder that records directly into ogg or other formats?

wiak

precord can record ogg, mp3 or wav formats

#16 Post by wiak »

The later versions of Precord (e.g. version 6.1.2) can record to ogg, mp3 or wav format:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49907

You just need to click on the config button, which opens the advanced GUI where you can set the encoding method.

Ron

#17 Post by Ron »

wiak: Good, thanks for pointing that out. Do you know if this program is still being developed? It has a lot of potential, but could use further development. It's thread has stopped.

Ron

Pelo

In most distros 2016, capture bar is not activated.

#18 Post by Pelo »

Precord is LTS with Puppy and the easiest tool to easily record comments until now. Don't forget to tick capture in retrovol and/or in other volume mixer as Gnome alsamixer in Dpup
Attachments
record.png
Gnome Alsamixer
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

Pelo

Simple Voice Recorder

#19 Post by Pelo »

Another one is SVR , not as defaut as Precord in 2016 Puppy
For video on new Puppies use Simple Screen Recorder, it's the best one. Born with Tahrpup, can be used with Precise Puppies too
Attachments
SVR.png
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Sailor Enceladus

Re: In most distros 2016, capture bar is not activated.

#20 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Pelo wrote:Don't forget to tick capture in retrovol and/or in other volume mixer as Gnome alsamixer in Dpup
Thanks. I was wondering why Pavrecord wasn't recording sound, had to change "Capture So." from "Mic" to "Mix". Nice.