Display Link and Touchscreens

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
pixelblip

#1 Post by pixelblip »

Afternoon. Hope everyone is having a relaxing Easter.

Can anyone please tell me if they have got a Display Link monitor working with Puppy Linux? I was looking at the Samsung U70. It's nice it just uses USB only.

Has anyone got a touchscreen working - I am looking for something small that is compatible.

Thanks for your advice.

dazbert

#2 Post by dazbert »

Hi,

I'm working on this at the moment, after a hiatus of a few months. I've had trouble installing the drivers, but that's because I don't know much about Linux :oops: I seem to remember tripping up over that whole 'make' not being a command thing. So then I think I had to install 'make', and that didn't work either.

If anyone has any tips on this I'd really love to hear them, otherwise I'll keep plugging away at it and let you know if I get anywhere.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

The basic Puppy doesn't come with compiling software. You have to add it by adding a certain devx file (and be sure you get the right devx file for your version of Puppy. Here's the one for 4.3.1. Be advised, it's a 90 MB file.) I'm afraid I've never done it, so I really can't help much more than that.

How you add the .dev file depends on how you installed Puppy.

From about 2/3 down this page, under "Useful links":
Compile source packages. Puppy is a cutdown tiny distro but it is super-easy to add everything needed to turn Puppy into a complete C/C++/Vala/Genie compile environment -- download 'devx_430.sfs' to /mnt/home, run the BootManager, then reboot.

dazbert

#4 Post by dazbert »

Thanks for the steer, Flash - it's certainly got me moving. I managed to install the compiling sofware, and then after a whole heap of head-scratching I found that I needed kernel_src-2.6.30.5-patched.sfs4.sfs too (which I added using SFS Linker). To my surprise and relief, I was then able to compile and install UDLFB.

Then I tried to compile the DisplayLink driver, according to the instructions here:
http://mulchman.org/blog/?tag=displaylink
and that's where I tripped up. The ./configure seemed to work ok, but when I ran make it came back with a whole heap of errors, beginning with:
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/xf86-video-displaylink'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/xf86-video-displaylink/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I -I/usr/X11R7/include -g -O2 -MT displaylink.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/displaylink.Tpo -c -o displaylink.lo displaylink.c
libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I -I/usr/X11R7/include -g -O2 -MT displaylink.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/displaylink.Tpo -c displaylink.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/displaylink.o
In file included from displaylink.c:31:
../config.h:4:25: error: xorg-server.h: No such file or directory
In file included from displaylink.c:37:
displaylink.h:5:18: error: xf86.h: No such file or directory
displaylink.h:6:23: error: xf86Modes.h: No such file or directory
displaylink.h:8:22: error: xf86Crtc.h: No such file or directory
displaylink.h:10:21: error: xf86DDC.h: No such file or directory
displaylink.h:12:18: error: edid.h: No such file or directory
displaylink.h:14:20: error: damage.h: No such file or directory......

Any ideas?