Quirky 018 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Hesse James

Nvidia Closed Source drivers for Quirky

#196 Post by Hesse James »

Good morning Barry
Sorry for the late response. Generally I am interested in having the Closed Source Nvidia graphic drivers on board (or at least installable).
Reason is: I owe a HTPC with Soundgraph Imon VFD/RC and a Nvidia Chipset 9300. My intention is to build finally an alternative for my XP operation system which is too slow at the moment for HDTV despite CUDA-accelerated H.264 codec. I expect that VDPAU ist necessary to keep the used CPU resources as low as possible. VDPAU acceleration is only possible with the original NVIDIA drivers, patched mplayer, additional VDPAU packages available for Ubuntu and others...
My experience so far:
gray's PETs and the NVIDIA istaller work on 4.31 or earlier.
WOOF based Puplets: Nearly all newer WOOF based Puplets have problems with the NVIDIA-installer because of a gcc version mismatch the kernel was compiled with and the development system is equiped with. Quirky and LUPU6 refuse the installation because of that. UPUP and DPUP allow a continuation of the installation but crash if switching to 24 bit graphics (16bit works). All PET installations fail because of an interference with my Imon. USB/HID driver missing message despite installed...
So far only the attempt of Iguleder worked for me.
Kernel recompilation sometimes fail so that I didn't follow that because of lack of time.
Latest version so far is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.15-pkg1.run
Christian

pakt

Booting quirky-018 from an IDE drive on the Edubook

#197 Post by pakt »

Barry, I tested the RDC IDE driver for the Edubook that you actuated in the kernel.

I bought a short ribbon cable and had no problem booting quirky-018 from a Toshiba 1GB CF card in a CF-to-IDE adapter mounted in the Edubook.

Note however that in order to fit the bottom plate, I had to cut away the plastic lock from the ribbon cable's standard IDC connector (on the motherboard end), otherwise it was too high! Figures... :roll:

Anyway, the IDE interface seems to work perfectly.

The output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi':

Code: Select all

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: SA04G     RDC SD Rev: 0100
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: TOSHIBA THNCF1G0 Rev: 3.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 05
Also, I didn't have to choose the boot order - it booted directly from the CF card, ignoring the inserted (bootable) SD card.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Sit Heel Speak

Patch needed to kernel 2.6.33.2 source code

#198 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Overnight I've been compiling an rt version of the Puppy 2.6.33.2 kernel (still going), and have found an error in the aufs source code.

In file fs/aufs/file.h, line 102, aufs_release_nondir is defined, but in the two sourcefiles which include file.h and use aufs_release_nondir (fs/aufs/f_op.c and f_op_sp.c) aufs_release_nondir is redefined.

This stops the make. By commenting-out line 102 of file.h, i.e. making the snippet look like

/* f_op.c */
extern const struct file_operations aufs_file_fop;
int aufs_flush(struct file *file, fl_owner_t id);
int au_do_open_nondir(struct file *file, int flags);
/* int aufs_release_nondir(struct inode *inode __maybe_unused, struct file *file); */
the make proceeds.

I will report back in a few hours on whether Quirky-018 with this corrected aufs will frugal-boot or not. It might require rebuilding the initrd.gz by hand as well, we'll see.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

fyujj

#199 Post by fyujj »

I don't know if these were reported (one of the two must have been).
First issue is with the Brazilian keyboard layout set-up in Puppy 5 series (Quirky 018, Lupu 004).
First, at the keyboard configuration page there are some odd options: br-abnt, br-abnt2, br-latin1-abnt2(?) and br-latin1-us(?). I'm no expert but as far as I know abnt2 is a layout, not a model. Usually the options would be (from the earliest to the most recent): br-latin1, br-abnt and br-abnt2 (default keyboard layout in Brazil for years now).
Up to Puppy 4.2, there was only br-latin1 and br-abnt options and one would have to open keyboard setup and choose abnt2 layout to setup this (most common) keyboard. This was fixed in Puppy 4.3.
*Important* Now any of the offered setups even work with the abnt2 keyboard (not even br-abnt2). It must be set through Setup > Change the mouse and keyboard and even this tool must be fixed in this respect: first there's apparently a major and general bug (this one that most probably was reported already) when one changes the keyboard from Choose keyboard layout for your country... option. This goes to a blue and gray screen of death, that one can get out with C+A+Bsp but then X wont load anymore (needs a reboot for an ignorant like me, even running Xorgwizard doesn't solve it). The other bug, this related to the BR keyboard setup, is that if one opens Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration... > Layouts and chooses br it doesn't work (this should enable by default the br-abnt2 layout). For it to work properly one must open Keyboard Model and choose Brazilian abnt2.

Regards and thank you.

Sit Heel Speak

This "bones+woof" thing-y is fabulous...

#200 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

8) 8) 8)

This bones + woof buildsystem, once you figure out 0setup and the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-{distro}-{version} syntax, and get the hang of turning .deb packages into .pets, is a fabulous work of absolute genius...

One rt-smp 2.6.33.2 version of Lucid, based on April 15 Bones and Woof, coming up soon...presently on "cups" in 2createpackages...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

*** APPLAUSE *** ***WILD CHEERS***

#201 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

processing faad_2.7-4_i386.deb
processing libfaad-dev_2.7-4_i386.deb
Processing libfaad0
(error message about the correct libfaad .pet not being present in packages-pet)
Wow. 2createpackages even discovered that I had made a .pet package of libfaad0, when the version specified in DISTRO-PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid is libfaad2...

...and then, after I control-c'ed out of 2createpackages and corrected the libfaad (faad) entry in DISTRO-PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid,... with bated breath I tried starting 1download again, and it actually went out and *just* downloaded the single missing libfaad2_2.7-4_i386.deb package!...

:!: :shock: :D !!! I am IMPRESSED !!! :D :shock: :!:

Hoo man-o-man this thing is built like a brick ...table lamp, isn't it!!!
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 21:03, edited 5 times in total.

Sit Heel Speak

A suggestion for 0setup

#202 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Suggestion:

Have 0setup do the same syntax-check of PKGS_SPECS_TABLE that 2createpackages does near its beginning.

This would have saved me quite a bit of eyestrain late last night, when I neglected to place a '|' after the yes in the entry for the libxtrap .pet I made, and thus kept getting the
FAIL: exe
FAIL: dev
FAIL: doc
FAIL: nls

mystery sequence in 0setup.

The string 'yeslibxtrap' is very hard to distinguish among a long list of similars from 'yes|libxtrap'...whereas the syntax check, if it were placed prior to commencement of the check for nonexistent packages, would have spared me having to closely examine the entirety of PKGS_SPECS_TABLE...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

stu90

#203 Post by stu90 »

Hello Barryk,

Wary19: Touchpad tapping/ double tap works from the get go however there is no touchpad scrolling, i've tried some different xorg.conf configurations but no joy yet . If i remember right Quirky13 double tap /scrolling worked ok .

p.s great wary wallpaper choice :)

cheers.

Sit Heel Speak

Suggestion for 2createpackages

#204 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Another suggestion:

For cases like in my second post above, where 2createpackages errors-out due to incorrect library version specified in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid (e.g. libfaad0 where libfaad2 is specified in Packages-ubuntu-lucid-universe/multiverse/main) and so the user goes back into DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS and corrects the libfaad(n) entry to match the Packages-ubuntu-lucid-universe/mulltiverse/main specified version...

...it would be nice if 2createpackages were to give the user the option to resume from where left off, rather than waste half an hour to three hours starting from the top and doing the whole creation process over again, or having to go back after finished and rebuild singly the error'ed-out packages.

I know, I know, some people want instant gratification...

But when you're this close to perfection, it's hard not to ask for it...

JustGreg

#205 Post by JustGreg »

I did a frugal Wary 019 install to my VFAT USB hard drive. It started and work well on my Acer Aspire Revo. We still need the Nvidia video driver. Hopefully Gray can do an update for the new kernel. Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

I also checked PupRadio. KNIK, which is a MMS station works now. It did not work in Quirky 018. However, the Gulch receiver still does not work. It appears that CFGP is no longer available. I get a failure to connect on that URL. The Gulch URL connects, but no audio output even though data is being receiver. I tried changing the cache size and mixer selection (oss or alsa) without any luck.

I would like to try the present 4.3.1 Gxine pet in Wary with the Gulch URL. But, I am not sure if the pet will work properly with the new kernel version.

It and Quirky work well with my Acer Aspire One net book.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

rjbrewer

#206 Post by rjbrewer »

Here is a "Gulch" stream I found in my bookmarks.
Works fine regular stream or win-amp stream using
gxine on my 4.1.2 install.

http://shortwavepirate.info/pw/wordpress/the-gulch/

Cfgp.........doesn't need a player.

http://radiotime.com/station/s_7608/Rock_977.aspx

I tried to install vlc or gxine to quirky; couldn't get it to work.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

LoneRifle

Seems like Xorg vesa driver has a problem...

#207 Post by LoneRifle »

Wary 019: Xorg vesa driver seems to be problematic, see quote. Also unable to power off automatically. Again, this is tested on my non-Norhtec Edubook, so other Edubook users may have different results..
X: symbol lookup error: /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86GTFMode

nooby

#208 Post by nooby »

That one and others at radiotime works for me using q18 but I have installed mplayer 3.85 something so that maybe take care of such?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#209 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:

That one and others at radiotime works for me using q18 but I have installed mplayer 3.85 something so that maybe take care of such?
Installed Muppymplayer and it will do that http stream from the link,
but not from pup-radio-telly.
Still not possible to enable mms.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

upnorth

desktop mirror effect in a webpage - seamonkey

#210 Post by upnorth »

The website's picture was replaced with a thumbnail image of the desktop that updates, but the tab preview thumbnail image shows the sites intended picture.:
:)
I had noscript activated too and privoxy on full choke so I don't think it was a script doing it.

This seamonkey is mozilla's build, and I've only seen this happen on one site.

from about:buildconfig
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla- ... 07a617e5a5

Solved: After killing conky(1.7.2) and restarting conky the problem is gone. Probably the pseudo transparency data getting mixed up with seamonkey somehow.
Last edited by upnorth on Sun 18 Apr 2010, 02:17, edited 4 times in total.

upnorth

browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable;false

#211 Post by upnorth »

Here is how to turn off the tab thumbnail preview if anyone needs to::

browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable;false

This preference used to be somewhere in menu but I couldn't find it. So used about:config to change.
Last edited by upnorth on Sun 18 Apr 2010, 02:22, edited 2 times in total.

JustGreg

#212 Post by JustGreg »

I tried to get the NVIDIA video driver for Wary. I down loaded the latest version (190.36.15) for Linux. I found one needs to have the devxx.sfs for it. It needs several binary utilities. I thought it was going to work, but, it needs the kernel source to built the driver. Oh well, I need to think about this and do some research. I reached the limit of my knowledge.

OK, I found the sfs file with the kernel sources. The process went a bit farther, but still failed. This is the error message from the log:
If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.
I did also find that you need to do the building from the command line. The Xserver can not be running. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I am definitely "out of my league" with this one. Thank you in advance for any help.

Yes, I did find this post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=365818

I am following its directions.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Hesse James

#213 Post by Hesse James »

Good morning JustGreg
I always execute the installer according to this which is identical to yours:
http://www.goingnuts.dk/mms2p412.asp#NVIDIA

Unfortunately I get that attached error message for all WOOF based Puplets as described in this Forum a page earlier (except Iguleders approad). Issue reported to Playdays for Lucid003.

Do you observe the same error mesage ?
Greetings
Attachments
Nvidia_Driver_installation_CC_version_check_failed.jpg
(63.72 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

nooby

#214 Post by nooby »

To all of you trying to get the nvidia going. Much appreciated.

My nvidia seems to work in Vesa but not in xorg set up. Video get choppy and jerky instead of having glitches which I prefer to choppy and jerky which makes me seasick looking at them.

Could there be somebody deciding they prefer the choppy and jerky over glitches and that we will get stuck with that preference for all future???

Me really worried that this is decided way high up in linux foundation something?

Could anyone give a hint if the choppy and jerkyness is an error that crept in or a deliberate design feature that somebody decided is better than glitches.

Glitches
1. A minor malfunction, mishap, or technical problem; a snag: a computer glitch; a navigational glitch; a glitch in the negotiations.
2. A false or spurious electronic signal caused by a brief, unwanted surge of electric power.

a glitch looks like a super fast narrow line that appear randomly horisontally on the screen

while a choppy or jerky is the whole movement of a person goes from one position to another in a delayed smoothed out jerking move as if they have some spastic problem moving or are playing Robots.

we are at least three members of this forum having this problem. it only happens with Quirky and Dpup and Upup and one more.

What in Linux land is going on?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jrb

gnumeric crash

#215 Post by jrb »

Hi, Has anyone else noted that Gnumeric crashes when you go to Format-Cells?

Here are the error messages:

# gnumeric

(gnumeric:9513): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnumeric:9513): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-rotation-sel.glade'

(gnumeric:9513): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-format-sel.glade'

** (gnumeric:9513): CRITICAL **: go_combo_text_set_text: assertion `IS_GO_COMBO_TEXT (ct)' failed

(gnumeric:9513): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(gnumeric:9513): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_selection_select_path: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SELECTION (selection)' failed

(gnumeric:9513): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2310: instance `(nil)' has no handler with id `0'

(gnumeric:9513): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed

(gnumeric:9513): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2352: instance `(nil)' has no handler with id `0'
Segmentation fault
All the formatting buttons on the toolbar work but not the menu. I was trying to change the difference between two dates into plain numbers (of days) but couldn't in gnumeric. Had to use Planmaker instead.

BTW, Barry, Great fix on Abiword and the .docx files. Have installed the .pet and am using it at work.

Thanks, J