Monitor refresh rate in Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy (and DSL too, i guess) runs at 85 hz on my 17" crt monitor

i can't stand 60 hz on a crt ... if Puppy ran at 60 hz i couldn't use it

i tried DSL's xfree86 package (20 megs) ... it ran, but i didn't get it to run properly ... a lot of programs wouldn't run, but some did ... i also tried a few symlinks to Vector Linux ... it seemed to be about the same

i was wondering if it was running 2.4 kernel drivers with the 2.6 kernel ... i'll try again with Puppy 1.0.3

the only problem i had running X as user spot (as opposed to root) was that rxvt wouldn't open ... anyone know the way to get rxvt to run when running as spot? ... i wondered also if it would make difference if i actually booted as spot, instead of just su'ing spot and starting X, but i haven't tried that yet

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo wrote:Puppy (and DSL too, i guess) runs at 85 hz on my 17" crt monitor
GuestToo,
do you mean that Puppy defaults to 85Hz, without doing anything? ...that's amazing!
On my PCs, I just get the 60Hz.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

yes, Puppy runs at 85 hz on my machine, by default, without doing anything ... it always has

i can't stand 60hz ... it is definitely not running at 60 hz

one of the settings buttons on my monitor displays info on display timing, and it says it is running at 800x600 85 hz

it's just a cheap s3 onboard video card, but it works ok

i put Puppy on a 450mhz K6-2 IBM machine (sis chipset), and that one definitely runs at 60 hz

i was experimenting with xfree86 ... it should work, and would let the refresh rate be set, but it would probably be about 20 megs ... probably less if the various drivers are not included in the basic package

Lobster
Official Crustacean

what mhz Puppy is using

#4 Post by Lobster »

please sir :oops:

how do I know what hz Puppy is using?
tried Xproc - but could not think what else to try? (Start / Control Panl / Xproc)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i know that it is not running at 60 hz, or i would go blind or have seizures

i pressed the buttons on my monitor that set things like contrast, brightness, vertical size, horizontal size, degaussing, etc, etc ... one of the items in the menu is Display Timing info ... the monitor thinks it is running at 800x600 85 hz, which makes sense to me