Viewing pup001 contents from within Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Yogi

Viewing pup001 contents from within Puppy?

#1 Post by Yogi »

With all the Dotpups and Pupgets I've installed I've kinda lost track of how much space that adds up to. So I used Control Panel > Partview view partition sizes to find out how much space is left in my pup001 file. It shows: Used - 248 Free - 0. Can that be right? Somehow I don't think so but I don't know how to look inside pup001 to find out. A search of the forum explains how to from within Windows but is there a way to accomplish the same from within Puppy 1.0.7?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

two shell-commands:

df -m
this shows free space
du -m
shows the size of the current folder and subfolders.

Mark

Owl

#3 Post by Owl »

Hi Mark,

thanks for the info. I used df -m and saw the following:

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 1248 64 1184 5% /
/dev/hdd1 9992 9739 252 97% /mnt/home
/dev/loop1 496 147 328 31% /root
/dev/loop0 53 53 0 100% /.usr_cram
/dev/loop4 216 216 0 100% /.usr_more
none 764 416 328 56% /usr

Can you see how much space I have left in my pup001 ?

thanks in advance,
Owl.

Yogi

#4 Post by Yogi »

Hi Mark,

Sorry I'm a little slow on understanding just what is represented here. My response is similar to Owl's. Using the df -m command which file system represents the pup001 file? Is it the tmpfs? If so, then querying df -m shows I have used only 26% of pup001. Why would Partview partition view indicate my pup001 as Used: 248 Free: 0? These two methods don't seem to agree.

Thanks.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Owl wrote:Can you see how much space I have left in my pup001 ?
The pup001 file is mounted under /root, so the following line tells you that you have used 31% on /root.

/dev/loop1 496 147 328 31% /root
Yogi wrote:Why would Partview partition view indicate my pup001 as Used: 248 Free: 0?.
Trust df -h

I don't trust partview.

Another thing that you may find intetesting is that if you do the following:

Code: Select all

cd ~
du -hx --max-depth=1
You may get a slightly different number than with df -h. This is due that one reports the file sizes and the other the actual space used including wasted space.

the -hx means "in human readable form, only this file system"
the --max-depth=1 means "don't list all subfolders, just the first level folders", of course it will still include the size of all subfolders.

kethd

#6 Post by kethd »

Yes, df is the one to trust!
So, you have no problems with PUPXXX free space... but I am a little concerned that you seem to have a 10G hard drive partition that is almost full!

I thought we had the partview problems fixed with 1.0.7. Please keep studying what it says versus what df reports, and post in Bugs whatever details you can discern.

John_C

#7 Post by John_C »

Partview seems to work fine here, with the exception that I have to "mount"
drives that don't show up -- I just use Media Utility Tool 0.07b. I actually
quite like this utility, combined with Partview.

#8 Post by Guest »

kethd wrote:Yes, df is the one to trust!
So, you have no problems with PUPXXX free space... but I am a little concerned that you seem to have a 10G hard drive partition that is almost full!

I thought we had the partview problems fixed with 1.0.7. Please keep studying what it says versus what df reports, and post in Bugs whatever details you can discern.
Thanks for the response !

The 10G are my previous "from Windows to Linux" attempts. I went through a number of other distro's, including testing various other live CD's. I stuck with MEPIS for a while, then discovered Puppy and I am soooooo happy with the performance, the tools, the friendly and very helpful community that all the fun is back in computing !

I am not completely at the point of reformatting the 10 G but am close too . . . .that would mean that Puppy is here to stay forever !

Thanks again,
Greetings,
Owl.

jpg366

#9 Post by jpg366 »

Unless I am mistaken, the utility that can resize your pup001 file will tell you how full it is, with the option to change it or exit the utility.