IceWM (Jemimah's Puppeee Build)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
pri

#16 Post by pri »

i am already using icewm background and idesk, and will be include it on my puppy :D. its fun have a deferent theme and background.

the problem is, pupevent icon not there. mustbe an expert to make it happen :D

there is xfcepuppevent can be hack by moving the destination forder from /root/Desktop to /root/.idesktop, but not me for doing that :( iam too dumb for it :)
Learning by Doing

jemimah

#17 Post by jemimah »

I just checked, Icewm supports wallpaper, but not desktop icons.

jemimah

#18 Post by jemimah »

This is an Xdialog frontend for idesk I found. Might come in handy for you Pri.
Attachments
idesktool.gz
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 1223 times

pri

#19 Post by pri »

cool stuff, but need inserted size and location.

but if using grid option, location is not needed.
Learning by Doing

`f00

#20 Post by `f00 »

..and it works in wary 019 - a few oddnesses for me personally (like the summary dotfiles file from the dotpet install is blank .. no biggie, heh). I'd almost forgotten the joy of working with icewm's preferences file ... Still guessing at the theme files and how they draw up (every wm has their own way for sure).

Thanks, jemimah :)

Ibidem

Tested on Lucid 5.00

#21 Post by Ibidem »

...and it works.
Pretty nice, too. Glad to have a version with working shutdown menu (having trouble on Ubuntu); I hadn't even realized that workspace previews are possible.
One thing though: would you mind leaving slightly more conventional key bindings? I've grown accustomed to alt+space, alt+F4, and several other keys that got changed in /usr/share/icewm/preferences--it really makes for trouble when a trackpad is too slow and alt+space (KeyWinMenu, line 626) doesn't give the left-hand menu.

OT: Speaking of trackpads, flsynclient 0.7 is available and a visible improvement (4 tabs, not 3).

Ibidem

jemimah

#22 Post by jemimah »

You should be able to change the keybindings to whatever you like. The ones there are what I personally prefer or they were changed because there were conflicts in Puppeee. Feel free to post a fixed preferences file if you want.

I added some extra features to flsynclient .6 - If the changes for .7 are just cosmetic, I don't think I'll bother patching it again.

bones01

#23 Post by bones01 »

Hi,

I'm using this Icewm on Lucid 501 and it works well. It's even stopped some programs from disappearing when minimized!

But there's no battery/power icon in the bar.

Is there supposed to be? Can one be put in? (I'm not using pwidgets)

Hate to be caught with a flat battery.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

jemimah

#24 Post by jemimah »

mini-jaguar

#25 Post by mini-jaguar »

This is really interesting, it actually works in 3 Headed Dog.

There is one problem though: the items on the taskbar to the right (volume and others plus added ones like battery and flag) do indeed appear, but after restarting the x server several times they all disappear.

Any way to fix this so they remain there?

musher0

#26 Post by musher0 »

mini-jaguar wrote:This is really interesting, it actually works in 3 Headed Dog.

There is one problem though: the items on the taskbar to the right (volume and others plus added ones like battery and flag) do indeed appear, but after restarting the x server several times they all disappear.

Any way to fix this so they remain there?
Bonjour, mini-jaguar.

This has never happened to me, neither in icewm nor in lxp-icewm ( a derivative of icewm), so I do not know the cause.

What do you have in your /root/.icewm directory? Do you have any file in there with 0 byte? That would mean that some corruption has occurred.

Have you trying re-booting your computer? Does this fix the problem? If so, this might mean that some other program, for whatever reason, had been using the same part of RAM as icewm. This happens sometimes.

If not, there may be the following fix. You can perhaps copy the /usr/share/icewm/preferences file to /root/.icewm/preferences to see if this brings your icewm bar back to the initial appearance.

When you have solved your problem, I would recommend that you make back-ups of your own customized menu and preferences files there. Also the prefoverride file, if it exists.

Finally, FYI, you can change almost every aspect of icewm by editing the preferences file in /root/.icewm. Alternately, you can inscribe your changes in the /root/.icewm/prefoverride file, using the preferences file in /usr/share/icewm as your "manual".

Keep us posted? BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mini-jaguar

#27 Post by mini-jaguar »

Hmmm, I tried it again and threw out the (puppy)save file, reinstalled, and I did get the extra applets or whatever they are called, on the taskbar at the bottom right, after I exited and typed in "xwin icewm-session". Then rebooted with a save, came back into open box (although I left with icewm).

Then went into text mode, typed "xwin icewm-session" and into changed into: openbox? wtf

I also tried earlier without saving, typing "xwin icewm" without the "session" and it doesn't load the applets on the bar.

Also tried the .pets for wary and slacko, they worked and showed the taskbar with everything on it, but the small icons were missing from the menus at the bottom left.

Which items should I change in the icewm settings file? The only possibly useful change would be that battery thing, but it didn't do anything when I changed it and rebooted the x server. Although that file is pretty long, I probably missed something.

musher0

#28 Post by musher0 »

Allô, mini-jaguar.

I won't try to solve all the problems: only a Superior Power can do that! :lol: Especially that you now have one version of icewm that works.

But I think I can solve this one:
> but the small icons were missing from the menus at the bottom left.

Towards line 448-449 in the /root/.icewm/preferences file, you should find something like this:

Code: Select all

#  Icon search path (colon separated)
IconPath="/usr/share/pixmaps:/usr/share/icons:/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps:/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons:/usr/share/icewm/icons:/usr/local/share/pixmaps"
That tells icewm to look for icons where Puppy and icewm itself store them. Is there anything at that line?

If not, the easy way to correct the matter is to insert (copy) the above code at the bottom of your file /root/.icewm/preferences.

You should already have that file at that place. If not, just create it as an empty text file and copy the above code in it.

Then restart your icewm and the icons should show in the menu.

You can also define the size of the menu icons and regular icons at lines 849-866. To do so,
1) copy the parameter and its title from
/usr/share/preferences to
the bottom of your file /root/.icewm/preferences
2) do the modification in the second line (do not change the first line, it's the title! You'll get lost if you change it! )
3) remove the number or sharp sign in front of the modified line.
4) save (obviously!).
5) restart icewm.

The little procedure above is also valid for any customization you may want to do in icewm.

I hope this helps.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Tman

#29 Post by Tman »

mini-jaguar,

You can try this customized icewm-1.3.7 pet, if you like.

mini-jaguar

#30 Post by mini-jaguar »

That one works really well, thanks. I guess it's always better to get a version for the same Puppy, even if .pets for other Puppies sometimes work.

(edit: actually there is an IceWM .pet in the Lucid repository too, I didn't notice earlier because it's too obvious. Works fine too.

I also tried the 1.3.6 .pet on the real 4.3.1 and it also seemed to have covered over the original battery monitor, and the Wary .pet didn't show the icons in the menu on Wary 5.2.2, so the problems may not have been version specific, but I didn't try to edit the configuration file.)