Problems with Avast update(SOLVED.)

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
2byte

#16 Post by 2byte »

Glad you have it working!
Does running this command just this once obviate the need to place that command in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file?
The command needs to be run before avast is used, every time.

The best way is to have it execute at boot time so one does not forget, which is the purpose of putting it in rc.local. I am assuming that scripts in rc.local actually get executed on your system, as this is the standard Puppy set up. To be sure that the sysctl command is not blocked you could put it at the top of rc.local and it will be the first script to run.
Should I stick with this Avast! version 1.0.8?
That's entirely up to you. If I were you and wanted to update to the latest version of avast, I would make sure that I have everything working the way I want with 1.08 first.

Sylvander

#17 Post by Sylvander »

1. "The best way is to have it execute at boot time so one does not forget, which is the purpose of putting it in rc.local. I am assuming that scripts in rc.local actually get executed on your system, as this is the standard Puppy set up."
(a) What I was doing wrong, was...
After adding the command at the bottom within /etc/rc.d/rc.local, I was failing to reboot.
Didn't know that was necessary.
Doing that now, and all's well.

DMcCunney

#18 Post by DMcCunney »

Sylvander wrote: (a) What I was doing wrong, was...
After adding the command at the bottom within /etc/rc.d/rc.local, I was failing to reboot.
Didn't know that was necessary.
The commands in rc.local are executed on boot. If you make a change and don't reboot, they never get run.
______
Dennis

Sylvander

#19 Post by Sylvander »

"The commands in rc.local are executed on boot. If you make a change and don't reboot, they never get run."
Now understood.
When 2byte explained, I realized what I was doing wrong, and put that right. :D

keniv

#20 Post by keniv »

Can I ask if the above procedures work with 5.2.5. I had both Avast 1.0.8 and Xfprot working in 5.2 using the fix outlined above. In 5.2.5 both appear to crash after the update files are downloaded during their installation. The crash freezes the machine and I have to shut down at the power-off button. I have tried this with both an updated save file from 5.2 and a fresh install of a 5.2.5 save file. I have to be able to scan flash drives which are also sometime used with a windows machine. At the moment I have to go back to 5.2 to do this. Other than this 5.2.5 is working well for me. I would appreciate any help with this as I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Regards,

Ken.

Sylvander

#21 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Can I ask if the above procedures work with 5.2.5"
(a) I have Avast 1.0.8 installed within Lupu-525.

Regarding updating of the virus definitions:
(b) This always works just fine after I run in a terminal, the command:

Code: Select all

/sbin/sysctl -w kernel/shmmax=130000000
(c) A couple of times in the past I noticed a problem [warning dialog window] after attempting to update the virus definitions without first applying the command explained in 2 above.
Although when I did it just now [i.e updated the virus definitions, without first running the command in the terminal], there appeared to be no problem.
I started a scan, and it began running without trouble, then I terminated the scan, closed the program, re-opened the program; no sign of trouble.
So I cannot say with certainty whether this is working reliably or not; neet to use it lots more.
Be aware that I've added [some time past] that same line of code to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local

(d) AAaah...!
Having updated the virus definitions etc as explained above...
Then after I clicked the "Save" icon on the desktop to save the session back to the lupusave file...
Then ran the Avast! program ONCE AGAIN...
A warning dialog was displayed.
Be aware that I'm using a lupusave on an internal HDD...
But I have this in operation...
And this...
Which means the lupusave on the internal HDD is treated as though a lupusave on a Flash Drive....
Which means I can choose if/when to save during_the _session...
And then whether "to save or not to save" at shut-down.

keniv

#22 Post by keniv »

I have tried again to get Avast to work. This is what I did.

1) I uninstalled the existing installation of avast .
2) I deleted /.avast
3) I searched for other avast files, found two and deleted these.
4) Searched again and found no files
5) Shut down.
6) Re-booted with pfix=fsck.
7) Re-installed avast 1.0.8 pet.
8) Shut down and re-booted again.
9) Typed in you line of code. No error messages.
10) Started avast and entered key which was accepted.
11) Started a scan which ran OK and then stopped the scan.
12) Ran an update which down loaded about 43MB. This began to install (I could see the hdd led flashing as it does in 5.2). Hdd led stopped flashing leaving screen, keyboard and mouse frozen.
13) Had to shut down using power button.
14) Re-booted and re-started avast. Asked to delete stale root file which I did. Asked to enter key which I did this was accepted. Avast started to load but does not complete loading.
15)If I run avast from a terminal I get an error along the lines of "cannot find key" and I am invited to enter the key. At this point I gave up. If I re-start avast from the menu 14) is repeated.
Can you tell me from this what I am doing wrong. I still seems to me that there is a difference between 5.2.5 and 5.2 where updating is still working.

Regards,

Ken.

Sylvander

#23 Post by Sylvander »

1. What kind of Lupu-525 installation are you using?

(a) Full install to Internal HDD?
(b) Or normal Lupusave file installation in use on the internal HDD?

2. When you make a change during the session is it being instantly saved to the [Lupusave file on the] HDD?

3. Your steps look pretty good.
(a) Up to your step 11, you are using the basic Avast program with no attempt to update the definitions.
That ALWAYS works without problems.

(b) The problems usually begin once you attempt to update the definitions [step 12], and that's what you experienced.
But of course you expected to see no problems, because you entered the line of code in a terminal.

BUT...
(c) "9) Typed in you line of code"
Not a smart move.
I always copy and "Shift+insert" or paste the line of code so there can be no error.
This really should have been done after step 11, and just prior to attempting the update at step 12.
When I do this, the resulting change isn't being saved to the lupusave file on the HDD, until well after->[the update of the virus definitions has completed, and a scan then been run].
You might easily try this by running Lupu-525 using a copy of your lupusave from a Flash Drive [with the necessary configuration change to prevent auto-save during the session].

4. "Avast started to load but does not complete loading"
(a) Might you keep a backup copy of your lupusave file made immediately prior to installing the Avast program, and use that to begin afresh after experiencing problems?

Sylvander

#24 Post by Sylvander »

1. A minute or two back, I booted Lupu-525...
(a) Ran the Avast program...
(b) Updated the virus definitions [without runnung the line of code in a terminal]...
(c) Scanned a Windows partition for infection, and found none...
(d) Closed the program.
(e) Opened the program again.

2. All the above without any problem.

3. Now I'll...
(a) Click the "Save" icon on the desktop... [DONE]
(b) Run the Avast program again... [DONE, and no problem encountered!]
(c) I'll now click "update database"... [Completed OK!]
(d) Scan sda5... [It's now running OK]
(e) Clicked "stop scan", and it did that OK...
(f) Closed the program OK.
(g) Will now reboot, and save the session during shut-down, and come back in and report.

4. OK, that's done; will now...
(a) Run the program again... [Ran OK, no problem!]
(b) Clicked "update database, and that completed yet again with no problems.
(c) Once again scanned sda5, and that began with no problems, as before.
(d) Terminated the scan with no problems.
(e) Closed the program with no problems.
(f) Restarted the program with no problems.

5. I cannot find any faults in the operation of this! :D :?

keniv

#25 Post by keniv »

Hi Sylvander

I do not have a full install. I have two save files on the hdd. One is an updated 5.2 save file and the other is a fresh save file from 5.2.5 which I made to see if avast would would work with a "clean" install when I could not get avast to update without crashing the machine but this did not work either. The first of these is 1.5GB with 832 MB free and so I think there is plentiy of room for the update. These are on a NTFS file system using ext3 as the internal linux file system. I also have the 5.2.5 .sfs file on the hdd and boot from the cd. I also have win XP, which I now rarely use but keep updated, on this hdd. This is exactly the same as I have with 5.2 where avast does update without problems. I do not have an update button and as far as I understand it my save file is updated when I shut down at the end of each session. Even when the machine crashes after an update of avast and I have to shut down with the power off switch, what I assume to be a corrupted version of the 400. vps file is saved as avast will not start again using this file. You mention saving a copy of the save file to a flash drive. I notice when I do this the properties of the 400.vps file seem to change making the file executable. Trying to change the properties back to the original does not work. However as avast does not upgrade properly with a clean install with a new 5.2.5 save file I don't think this is causing the problem. I will delete avast again as outlined above and install it again. I will copy and paste your line of code into a terminal as you suggest. Can I just ask are you running the code after you have started avast but before you update or are you running the code before you start avast? The latter is what I did.

Thanks again for your help with this,

Ken.

Sylvander

#26 Post by Sylvander »

1. "These are on a NTFS file system using ext3 as the internal linux file system"
How about scanning/fixing both of these filesystems, just to make sure they are OK?

2. "I do not have an update button"
This of course is normal for a lupusave file held on an internal HDD, with no special arrangement made to treat it as if on a Flash Drive.
Mine has a "Save" icon because I made the necessary configuration change to a file on the ISO used to make the CD.

3. "as I understand it my save file is updated when I shut down at the end of each session"
Actually...
I believe...
Changes [made during the session] will be copied to the lupusave file the instant they occur [during the session].
I wonder if this [instant saving to the lupusave] is what is causing your Lupu-525 to crash.
At shut-down, you may notice a report that the session has already been saved.

4. "Even when the machine crashes after an update of avast and I have to shut down with the power off switch"
This won't cause my Lupu any problems, because it won't be in the process of saving back to the lupusave file at the moment of power-off.
Whereas...
Your Lupu may [probably will?] be caught mid-save when it crashes.

5. "what I assume to be a corrupted version of the 400. vps file is saved"
See what I mean?

6. "You mention saving a copy of the save file to a flash drive."
I had in mind that you copy a GOOD/working version of the lupusave file to a Flash Drive, and USE that, and make the necessary changes so there is no auto-save "during the session", and you get the choice "to save or not to save" at shut-down/reboot.
Or else you might do as I am doing, and have a lupusave on an internal HDD treated as if it is on a Flash Drive.
It really is worth doing. I think it's SUPERB! 8)
I can provide instructions if you need them.
Who knows, it may even solve the problem with Avast crashing your system.

7. "are you running the code after you have started avast but before you update or are you running the code before you start avast?"
(a) Today/now I am not even using the code in a terminal window, because it isn't needed; the line of code added to the top line in file /etc/rc.d/rc.local seems to be doing the job perfectly.

(b) When I did use the command in a terminal...
I think I did it right before running the Avast program.

p.s. I can phone any landline anywhere in the UK at no metered cost...
So if you were to PM me your phone number, I could phone you [if advisable/necessary].

Sylvander

#27 Post by Sylvander »

1. Did you check the calculated md5sum of the PET file for the Avast program matched the supplied value?

2. Much free space in your lupusave?
Any chance the contents of the tmp folder are filling the lupusave?

keniv

#28 Post by keniv »

Hi Sylvander

I did check the checksum when I first downloaded the pet although this was some time ago. I have had it working in 5.0, 5.1, 5.11 and 5.2 and so I think the pet is probably OK but I might download it again. I have 1.5GB save file with 861MB free and so I think there is plenty of room. There is only really what you would expect to be in my tmp file . No big downloads from youtube or the like and as I said I still have 861MB left. I have run chkdsk/f from winXP with no problems and so I think the hdd is OK. I tried again to get it to work in my 5.2.5 test save file. I deleted avast as previously and reinstalled it as before. I had previously copied your code to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and rebooted. I also copied it to a terminal and ran it before opening avast. I opened avast and ran an update. Again it downloaded 43MB and started to install it to the hdd. This time it did not crash the machine but did crash avast. After this avast would not open. I have come to the conclusion that I have spent enough time on trying to get avast to run on my hardware with 5.2.5 and I think there is a flaw in this combination as far as avast is concerneed. I see there is a tar.gz version of AVG. I think I will uninstall the other anti-virus stuff and try this. If this does not work I may go back to 5.2. Thanks again for all your help and the offer to phone. If I ever get avast to work for me with 5.2.5 I'll post here.

Regards,

Ken.

Sylvander

#29 Post by Sylvander »

.........OK........ :D