Two browsers, two times needed to log in.

News, happenings
LazY Puppy

Two browsers, two times needed to log in.

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Usually I use the browser without the flash plugin, so data transfer will be much less. Sometimes though I need the flash plugin, so I load a different browser sfs including the flash plugin by default.

Let's say, I'm already logged onto the forum by the non-flash-browser and then want to watch a YouTube video presented by a link in the off topic section of the forum.

I need to log in again to get into the off topic forum (while I'm still logged in on the other browser).

Is this normal behaviour?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi RSH:

I just tested under Quirky RU Xerus and I am getting the same results as you have. I guess login is specific to the browser you are using. You can probably open another tab under the same browser and still be logged in but it looks like different browsers require a new login.

All the best!

Slavvo67

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

I have found the forum logs you out if you are logged in on another machine, so you need to log in again next time. I'd guess it's the same with two browsers.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

This is all news to me. I never tried to log in from different browsers at the same time. What happens if you log in with the second browser and then try to go to the off-topic area with the first browser? Is the first browser now logged out? I hope so. I was surprised to discover that it's possible to log into my Yahoo mail or Gmail from two different computers at the same time. I don't think that should be allowed.

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Lazy_Puppy.

Could you not:
1 -- copy the URL from the 1st browser (where you are logged in the forum)

2 -- load the 2nd browser that has the flashplayer plugin

3 -- paste the URL in the 2nd browser and then view it?

You don't need to get out of the forum from the 1st browser and log in
again with the 2nd browser. You can have both browsers in parallel, can
you not? The 1st browser stays connected to the forum, the 2nd one you
use only to view the youtube references.

Unless of course your machine has a very small RAM.

Just an idea! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

After logging in with the second browser (firefox), I still was logged in with the first browser (palemoon).

Though, logging out in the second browser me one was logged out in the first browser as well.

Yes, I could just copy the link from the first browser (logged in to the off topic forum) and paste it into the second browser. Though, the second browser has the savefrom.net plugin, so each (YouTube) link in the off topic forum has automatically added a download button to the link, which is quite easy then to download.

I just can't download such YouTube videos from the first browser as the savefrom.net plugin doesn't work in palemoon browser.

No, there wasn't a need to log out in the first browser before logging in with the second browser. There was just a need to log in again with the second browser while I'm already logged in with the first browser.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I just can't download such YouTube videos from the first browser as the savefrom.net plugin doesn't work in palemoon browser.
I have the latest version of Palemoon V26.5.0
I installed the extension "Complete Youtube Saver" from the Palemoon add-ons.
This extension saves Youtube videos.

Puts icon in Navigation toolbar.
When you select a video on Youtube.
Select the "Complete Youtube Saver" icon and select how you want it saved.
Has lots of options and setup options.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slavvo67

#8 Post by slavvo67 »

This is why I keep my default browser as one that I know will handle everything or most everything. I've never really seen a reason to change from Seamonkey that BarryK has been keeping as default for years.

I still use Firefox, Palemoon and Iron as my mood chooses but at least if I click on something I know the Seamonkey default will pretty much work.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

I've never yet come across a site or situation that Chrome won't handle.....

Mike. :wink:

TeX Dog

#10 Post by TeX Dog »

change the browser agent to the same, Was playing with FF49 with a fake chrome user agent, tried chrome as chrome and It acted already login. Was doing a side by side running Netflix, FF49 had better playback ( more hd looking less jitter )

Was surprised.

recobayu

#11 Post by recobayu »

bigpup wrote:
I have the latest version of Palemoon V26.5.0
I installed the extension "Complete Youtube Saver" from the Palemoon add-ons.
This extension saves Youtube videos.

Puts icon in Navigation toolbar.
When you select a video on Youtube.
Select the "Complete Youtube Saver" icon and select how you want it saved.
Has lots of options and setup options.
Complete Youtube Saver.
Thank you Bigpup.
Is palemoon also support downthemall?
recobayu wrote:Is palemoon also support downthemall?
yes, it is. But CYS don't use downthemall.

technosaurus

#12 Post by technosaurus »

The second browser does not and should not "login" because most people don't want just any program to be able to steal login credentials that easily.

On the other hand there are plenty of reasons to want to be logged in on multiple computers (mobile and desktop, remote and local, multiple users, ...)

It would be possible for browser developers to allow multiple different browsers to share data on linux using a group policy, but they are made for the masses who wouldn't know how to properly implement it. They probably still wouldn't allow credential sharing for obvious reasons, but cache data and DNS lookups would be possible. You'd be surprised how much load time is spent on DNS lookups... DNS caching can get up to a 2000% improvement based on my experiments
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].