Lighthouse Pup - kernel module not installed

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Chris_D

Lighthouse Pup - kernel module not installed

#1 Post by Chris_D »

I have put Lighthouse Pup on a friend's PC as a full install, but the natsemi kernel module, which is required to drive the ethernet card, is not there. When booting from the live CD, it is there but on the full hard disk install it isn't.

I installed the following to an ext3 partition on the hard drive:

- Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2
- Mariner
- Several SFS packages, using the SFS installer in Pet Maker Plus

The network card is a Netgear FA330 (or FA331) which I believe requires the natsemi kernel module because it is based on the National Semiconductor chipset. When booting from the LHP live CD, or from the Puppy live CD, it works perfectly. On the hard disk installation, however, natsemi is not available, neither as a module in "Network Wizard" / "Load module" nor as a netsemi.ko file in /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/net/

I have a similar installation on my laptop, identical apart from a different selection of SFS packages, and even though that computer has a totally different NIC the natsemi module is available!

What has happened to make it disappear on my friend's PC? And how do I fix it?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris_D

#2 Post by Chris_D »

In the absence of any other suggestions, I deleted LHP from the partition and tried reinstalling it. This time only two network card modules were installed, neither of them the right one.

This is really frustrating. The same set up works perfectly both on my own laptop and when booting from the Live CDs. Why would it install only partially on this computer?

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Chris,

You'd probably get more response if you posted on the Lighthouse thread.

I recommend that you try a frugal installation which is much easier to use and update, especially since you want to use extra sfs files.

Keep in mind that although using the SFS installer in Pet Maker Plus may sometimes work, that SFS file are not designed to be used that way and that could be the source of your problem. Another possibility is to try this sfs install program which may work, if you still insist on a full hd installation.

Jim

Chris_D

#4 Post by Chris_D »

The solution is not to use Lighthouse Pup. I've just installed Puppy 4.31 and it works perfectly.

LHP has the problem. It has nothing to do with additional SFS files as I tried a clean install of LHP alone, as described in my previous message.

LHP has only one thread? That one has 42 pages already so tacking my problem to the bottom of it really doesn't seem a sensible place. If any of the developers want to email me to complete a bug report that's fine, but for now I'm walking away from Lighthouse. The fix should be simple.

I really don't understand this obsession with frugal. I'm setting up a system for people who are not computer literate. Having to insert a CD every time is a sure way to make them hate Linux.

Lighthouse Pup looked like a good idea but it just doesn't work. Instead I'll see if I can make Puppy do what my friends want to do; otherwise I'll find another solution.

Cheers,
Chris

Q5sys

#5 Post by Q5sys »

Chris_D wrote:LHP has only one thread? That one has 42 pages already so tacking my problem to the bottom of it really doesn't seem a sensible place. If any of the developers want to email me to complete a bug report that's fine, but for now I'm walking away from Lighthouse. The fix should be simple.
I dont see how you expect making a new thread will get your issue more attention. For myself, I have the LHP thread open when I open my browser. I rarely, if ever, navigate out to the forum itself unless im really bored. Posting in the LightHouse thread is the best way for your question to get the most attention the fastest. Posting elsewhere is in my mind at least counter intuitive. If I have a question about my car, i go direct to the people that know the most about it (the dealership), hanging around on the road in front of the dealership or going elsewhere is either going to A) not get me the info I want, or B) get me faulty information.
Chris_D wrote:I really don't understand this obsession with frugal. I'm setting up a system for people who are not computer literate. Having to insert a CD every time is a sure way to make them hate Linux.
Frugal isnt just for CDs, I use a Frugal install on my USB sticks. I've also used a frugal install on a hard drive. Like everything in the world it has advantages and disadvantages. If you dont take the time to figure out what they are for each install type, you wont know what you may be missing. Depending on the needs of the people, different install options work better. Just because it may not work better for the people you know, doesnt mean that its a bad choice for everyone. If done properly to a USB stick, hard drive, etc, a frugal install should NOT need the CD ever again. if you need the CD to boot after trying a frugal install, then you have done something wrong.
Chris_D wrote:Lighthouse Pup looked like a good idea but it just doesn't work. Instead I'll see if I can make Puppy do what my friends want to do; otherwise I'll find another solution.
Depending on the hardware, LHP might not be the best choice for you. But that goes not just for puppy versions, but for every OS in existance.

I dont know if you're new to puppy or not, all I can see is that you have 3 posts and you joined 3 days ago. If you want help, we are more than willing to help, however there is no need for the brashness that has been in your previous posts. If you post in the LHP thread, Im sure TazOC will look into the issue and try to help you out. He's extremely helpful in trying to help users resolve their issues with LHP.