How to move pup001 file to different hard drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
martymae

How to move pup001 file to different hard drive?

#1 Post by martymae »

Just today I decided to run Puppy from the CD on my main computer. I have two hard drives and Puppy put his pup001 on the second one. I'm getting ready to take that drive out an put another one in, on which I will install at least one linux distro. So, I'll have to move the pup file.

My question is, should I move it to the Windows drive, or the new Linux drive? If I move it to the Linux drive I would give pup his own 1 gig partition. That's what I did on my other computer with only one drive, made a 1 gig fat32 partition just for pup file, then installed Puppy on the other partition. I guess Puppy will look for his pup and find it on either drive, right?

One other question. I keep seeing references here on the board to the pup001 file getting full. What is the maximum capacity and how will I know when it is gettin full and I need to expand it?

OverDrive

Some of your answers

#2 Post by OverDrive »

Hi, I remember reading somewhere about Pup's search sequence but I don't remember where on the site anymore ( it is there though). I can tell you how to resize the pup001 file. Click Start/Utilities/Resize Root Filesystem (that is near the bottom). It will give a few resize increment choices. During the process the dialog box mentions that they think 1 gig is the max size but they have not confirmed it one way or the other. In order to see how much space you have left on /root. Click Start/Control Panel/Xproc. When it loads click on the FS tab and look for the mount that lists /root it will tell you what percentage is used. Hope this helps...

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

martymae

#3 Post by martymae »

Thanks OverDrive for the response. I had not found Xproc, lots of good info there. My pup is only at 23%.

OverDrive

Your Welcome!

#4 Post by OverDrive »

Just one more note. That's a one way ticket when you increase the pup001 size. AFAIK, There is noeasy way to shrink the file....

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

kethd

#5 Post by kethd »

When putting Puppy fully on hard drives, I'd say that if you want flexibility/modularity, use the HDoption-1 approach. But if you want max power/performance/Linuxness, use HDoption-2, no PUPXXX, no limits...

MU

#6 Post by MU »

a full harddisk-install without pup001 is slower.
I tried it, and switched back to pup001.
Mark

martymae

#7 Post by martymae »

On my other computer, not the one I was asking about in this thread, I have done an option 2 install, with pup001 in his own 1 gig partition. The rest of the install is in the other partition, which is 3+ gig.

With this setup, on a PentiumII 266, 128meg ram, 5400rpm hard drive, an old slow video card, and only a 33.6 modem, Puppy surfs the net much faster than my main computer running Win98SE. Main computer is Athlon 1.4, 512 ram, 7200rpm hard drive, 64mb video card, and 56k modem. If I was going to name my Puppy, I'd call him "Flash".

Thanks again to all who have responded, and for the good information.

edoc

#8 Post by edoc »

martymae wrote:On my other computer, not the one I was asking about in this thread, I have done an option 2 install, with pup001 in his own 1 gig partition. The rest of the install is in the other partition, which is 3+ gig.
So you have pup001 on /dev/hda1 and your apps and drivers, etc in /dev/hda2 or are you saying that Puppy runs in /dev/hda1 and you have another OS on /dev/hda2?

Also, what would you say is the cleanest way to wipe a HDD and to make a fresh install of 1.0.7 ... or perhaps 1.0.8 or 2.0 (I have the test version, not yet installed anywhere, but am told it is somewhat unstable).

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

kethd

#9 Post by kethd »

Mark,

I am very surprised to hear that the full HD-2 install was slower for you. Certainly, it boots faster, and runs in less memory! What exactly was slower about it? How much slower?

martymae,

I don't understand how you could have an HD-2 install and also be using pup001 at the same time -- I thought all the filesystems were kept unpackaged in HD-2 mode!

Overdrive,

It is possible to shrink PUPXXX -- but it is not easy. Definitely best to start out with it as small as you will want -- or just start over if you want it smaller...

edoc,

It is always best to zero the hard drive and start over, if there is nothing you need to keep. You can either just zero the first part, or the whole thing, depending on if you are in a hurry etc. Nothing like a pure infinite field of 00000000000's for a fresh beginning!

There are many ways to zero the drive. I think the Linux command goes something like:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1m count=999000
(Look up the dd command -- pages of interesting tips!)
Warning -- Linux is the opposite of MS -- you can very easily and quickly blow your whole hard drive. All contents lost in an instant, no second chances. The power is in your hands!

martymae

#10 Post by martymae »

I'll try to explain the setup on the Pentium II the best I can. I'm pretty new to linux, and it was my first install of puppy.

Hda is a windows drive, one 4.2 gig partition, with 98SE.

Hdb1 is a 1 gig fat32 partion with a pup001 file.

Hdb2 is a 3+gig partition, which is where I put the option 2 install.

As I said, I'm new to Puppy, and fairly new to Linux. I have no idea whether there is supposed to be a pup001 file with an option 2 installation, but it is there. Now I'm confused. It took me several attempts to do the install, maybe I somehow wound up with an option 1. I got pretty flustered during the installation attempts.

edoc, I hope someone else has answered, or answers your question. It seems obvious that I don't know for sure what I'm doing, or what I have done. I'm still learning, but I mastered DOS and several versions of Windows, so I know I can eventually "get" Linux too.