Fatdog64 beta3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Fishy

No Sound

#16 Post by Fishy »

Hi James or should I say 007? I inserted "options snd-pcsp index=-1" in modprobe.conf and it didn't make any difference. The error message when trying the wizard flashes by before being able to be read.

Do the the entries in multiple card wizard disappear because I made a selection in the sound wizard? Is the disappearance of the bottom panel when doing this have anything to do with it or is just something to confuse the hell out of me? :lol:

If you need more detailed information please send explicit directions as to how to collect, willing to but incompetent. :D

John

kirk

#17 Post by kirk »

How do I change resolution as xorgwizard is not functional?
The old xorgwizard is still there, it's been renamed xorgwizard-old.
The "sound card not recognised" problem is because pcsp driver takes the first soundslot, making it the *default* sound driver. To disable this permanently, in modprobe.conf - put
Code:
options snd-pcsp index=-1
I was thinking about just dumping the module. Does anyone really need a pc-speaker driver?
However, I believe that the problem is more related to alsa mixer not working. It appears in the menu, but won't run. In a console I get # alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory#.
If you haven't already tried, make a new save file. Then you can also try deleting /lib/modules/2.6.32.2/kernel/sound/drivers/pcsp/* and rebooting.
Do the the entries in multiple card wizard disappear because I made a selection in the sound wizard?
Probably, I'll probably remove that from the menu. Fishy, the easiest thing to do is make a new save file and start over. Try what I told Jim to do above.

I've changed the menu a bit. When I connected to my TV with HDMI, ctrl-alt-backspace wouldn't kill X. So I added a menu option to do that. Also added a script to run fixmenus before switching to JWM. I downloaded the git version of the radeonhd driver and compiled it.

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:Quote:
However, I believe that the problem is more related to alsa mixer not working. It appears in the menu, but won't run. In a console I get # alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory#.

If you haven't already tried, make a new save file. Then you can also try deleting /lib/modules/2.6.32.2/kernel/sound/drivers/pcsp/* and rebooting.
Sorry, no change. How do I check alsamixer?
Thanks,
Jim

Fishy

No sound

#19 Post by Fishy »

Wizard in 4.3.2 recognizes:

HDA-intel 1002:4383
HDA-intel 1002:960F
Legacy
USB
Apple

Wizard in Fatdog recognizes:
HDA-intel ATI Technologies INC SBx00 Azalia (intel HDA)
HDA-intel ATI Technologies INC Azalia RS780 Azalia controller
Legacy
USB audio
Apple

Different version of alsa other than being compiled for 64bit??

Same system using integrated sound - ASUS M4A78T-E VIA*VT1708S codec and yes the bottom panel disappears ever time the Alsa sound wizard is used.

I have tried all suggested options, deleting save file after each failure. If Xorg Video Wizard doesn't function should it still be in menu? :?

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

For Fishy, Jim1911 and others with nvidia problem:
I just booted off beta3, running in RAM (ie no save file yet). Then, I clicked the nvidia.pet (I have a local copy already). Then I restarted X. Everything worked to that point - I checked the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to confirm that indeed nvidia driver is being used. From there, if you want to change the resolution, you can use NVIDIA Server Settings from the Setup menu. If you want to make the changes permanent, click "save to X configuration file".

I'm going to reboot and create a save file now. Will see if nvidia still works (will edit this post after reboot). Note: the NVIDIA driver requires 81MB after installation, so make sure your save file is big enough.

EDIT: nvidia driver still works after reboot to savefile. Can you please gzip the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Code: Select all

gzip -c /var/log/Xorg.0.log > test.gz 
and attach it here?

For the sound problem, can you please post the contents of:
/proc/asound/modules
/proc/asound/cards
/proc/asound/devices
/proc/asound/pcm

We'll try to work it out from there. For me, alsamixer works (ie the executable is there). I will reboot and create a savefile and see if it is still there.

EDIT: after reboot alsamixer is still there. If alsamixer binary is not there, perhaps it's a bad download. Have you checked the md5sum of the downloaded iso?

Lobster, I can open and save JPG no problem, before and after restart ... so could be incompatibility with old copy. Can you post what do you get if you do losetup-FULL -a?

kirk, will removing the snd-pcsp modules makes the terminal silent? :D Not that I mind though ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#21 Post by jamesbond »

Fishy, disappearance of the bottom panel? You mean, the black panel at the very bottom of the screen? (which contains the menu, etc?). Didn't happen to me, so it must be very odd ... Hmm as Jim said, try to open the console first, and from there type "alsamixer" in the command line.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Jim1911

#22 Post by Jim1911 »

Recap of problems with Fatdog64 B3 using new download and frugal installation on an ext3 partition on system with new save file: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280

1. Alsa doesn’t configure sound, also alsamixer doesn’t work.
2. nvidia-195.36.15-amd64.pet failed to install.
3. bottom tray bar erratic which contains menu may or may not show, restartX restores it
4. mtpaint cannot save snapshot file

5. Information requested by jamesbond:
Fatdog64 sound problem, contents of:

/proc/asound/modules 
empty
/proc/asound/cards 
--- no soundcards ---
/proc/asound/devices 
 33:        : timer
/proc/asound/pcm 
empty
Same information on lupu-113, the contents of:

/proc/asound/modules 
 0 snd_hda_intel
/proc/asound/cards 
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf7ff8000 irq 55
/proc/asound/devices 
   0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 26: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer
/proc/asound/pcm 
00-00: ALC1200 Analog : ALC1200 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: ALC1200 Digital : ALC1200 Digital : playback 1
00-02: ALC1200 Analog : ALC1200 Analog : capture 1
Kirk and James, thanks for helping with these problems. Fatdog64 is really fast on my system. The sound problem is a showstopper though.
Jim

tozers

#23 Post by tozers »

Hello Kirk,

First of all, Fatdog64 is impressive, thanks to you and to puppy community!!

I am trying to follow your steps and recreate the Fatdog64 from sources. I have two questions:

I have tried to create the t2 build, but it failed at some missing dependencies (mpfr-2.4.2.tar.bz2, mpc-0.8.1.tar.gz, gmp-4.2.tar.gz), which are not included into the devx. Are you using Fatdog64 to build Fatdog64? If not, what is your base system?

2. If you are using the T2 scripts, why do you uploaded all the packages in a single directory, since T2 usually have it ordered alphabetically on several directories under download/mirror? T2 also works this way or is it necessary to populate all the directories from a~Z?

My own answer, Three directories were uploaded:

source => used by T2 to build Fatdog64 (alphabetically ordered),
t2-build => t2 scripts and configuration.
t2-packs => flat directory.

To compile the t2-pack sources using t2 it is necessary to move them to the correspondent directory and update the configuration.

Is it right?

Thanks.
Last edited by tozers on Thu 29 Apr 2010, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#24 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911,

Hmmm that's odd ... no modules for sound are loaded. I assume that you get that result when running in RAM (ie no save file, ie pfix=ram). If that's not the case, then try running from RAM and see what happens. If the result is the same in either case, try this - from the console, do

modprobe snd-hda-intel
and see what happens. Do the check again and see if you see any changes. Also - I don't have lupu-113 - I'd like to know which version of ALSA is being used in lupu-113. When you boot to lupu-113, can you do (in console)

cat /proc/asound/version
and tell us the result? FD64 version of alsa is 1.0.21.

Let's solve this one first before moving to nvidia.pet, but just for fun, have you tried downloading the nvidia.pet manually first and run it locally (click it in ROX) instead of using the package manager? Just like what I did, running in RAM? I packaged the latest nvidia driver and that should work with yours. I'd like to hear what you mean by "failed to install". Note that by installing nvidia.pet, the xorgwizard is disabled. As kirk mentioned, if you still want to use the wizard (which is *not* recommended), you can use xorgwizard-old. Use nvidia-settings instead (from Setup menu).

Oui - I will try to package skype. But that will take sometime, and I may not be successful (skype being closed-source ...). Also xine, is already in FD64 since alpha1.

cheers!

Jim1911

#25 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond,

Information requested:

Lupu-113 version of ALSA.

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
"modprobe" has same output with existing save file, and no save file before and after running the Alsa sound wizard.

# modprobe snd-hda-intel
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
modprobe.conf is attached, /etc/modprobe.d does not exist

Executing Alsa sound wizard causes menu tray bar to disappear, restartX required to get it back.

On the NVIDIA pet "failed to install", after clicking on the pet to install, a dialog box comes up with an error message. Card is BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB.

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
modprobeconf.tar.gz
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 638 times

oldroy

Fatdog 65 beta 3

#26 Post by oldroy »

Kirk - Great job. I am typing this on one of those 'Lance Armstrong' HP (Actually rebranded Comtrash) computers and this is the only version of Puppy that just started up with the correct 1280 X 768 resolution on this machine. Other versions had to use xvesa at 1024 X 768.

The wireless Broadcom BC4318 (Air Force One) module works with the updated BC43 driver but getting it going takes a couple of retries sometimes.

The only thing not working is the sound. Alsaconf puts the atiixp stuff in /etc/modules.conf but the multiple sound card wizard just comes up blank.

I have deleted the pc speaker directory but that didn't help.

Also get error messages re /etc/modules.conf should be in etc/modules.d. Tried renaming /etc/modules.conf modules.conf.old but /etc/modules.conf was back in both places after a reboot.

Tried a plugging my usb sound device in and selecting that with alsamixer but it did not work either.

I know the sound in this laptop is working because booting from Lighthouse Pup 443 brings the sound up immediately.

kirk

#27 Post by kirk »

I think we're having some sound problems :) . I moved the computer I've been developing Fatdog on back under the TV. It connects to the TV by an HDMI cable. The sound over HDMI is all choppy. It had worked well with kernel 2.6.28.10. So I upgraded alsa to the latest (1.0.23), no change. Then I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.34-rc5, now the sound is good. So now do I wait for 2.6.24? I could try an older kernel, but KMS is required.

If your testing Fadog, make sure that you delete all Fatdog save files and sfs files before trying a newer version.
Sorry, no change. How do I check alsamixer?
Open a terminal and type alsamixer, that will run a script that runs alsamixer.bin. Or you can just type alsamixer.bin.
Different version of alsa other than being compiled for 64bit??
If anything is the same version, it's by pure chance.
I am trying to follow your steps and recreate the Fatdog64 from sources.
That's a job tozers. The sources and t2 build (which contains all patches) are there mainly to comply with the GPL. If you want to do a T2 build you need to know bash, how to compile packages and you need to read the T2 manual. The T2 scripts will download the sources. I built alpha2 (which was a complete T2 rebuild) using alpha1 as a host. Keep in mind there are always packages broke in T2 that you'll have to fix, also once you get everything built you'll have to rebuild gcc. Gcc ends up with bugs from T2, probably due to it not being rebuilt enough times.
Also get error messages re /etc/modules.conf should be in etc/modules.d. Tried renaming /etc/modules.conf modules.conf.old but /etc/modules.conf was back in both places after a reboot.
Puppy's scripts (pup_event_*) look for modules.conf in /etc.

Anyway, I've upgraded alsa and I'll probably upgrade or downgrade the kernel.

kirk

#28 Post by kirk »

If Xorg Video Wizard doesn't function should it still be in menu?
Yes, that's a problem. I'll fix that. Thanks.

DC

#29 Post by DC »

Hi Kirk,
Clicking on a media file in rox fails to play in xine. Seems to be the spaces in the file name. works OK from open file and if xine's open drag and drop's OK.

Sound:
live cd ok, frugal install ok
full install had to change multiple sound card and alsa mixer then ok

DC

kirk

#30 Post by kirk »

Seems to be the spaces in the file name.
Spaces + file names + Unix = evil. :lol: Just kidding, thanks for the feed back.

I fixed the Xorgwizard from the Setup menu, it will kill X run the xorgwizard-old and then restart X. I think I'm going to wait for 2.6.34, it has fixed my hdmi audio problem, and I read somewhere that there are a lot of audio fixes in 2.6.34. Rc5 does have a squashfs bug, but rc6 came out today and I see some fixes for squashfs, so hopefully that's fixed. That squashfs bug seemed very similar to the bug I got when trying the lzma patches, wonder if that's fixed? Anyway sorry to jamesbond, it looks like I'm going to mess-up your Nvidia pet. Hopefully 2.6.34 will be out soon, then I'll upload beta4 with the new kernel, new alsa libs/utilities and some other bug fixes.

jamesbond

#31 Post by jamesbond »

No worries kirk. I have been wondering myself why sound is not working, and I thought it could be because of bad iso download. But the testers who reported that are experienced testers and I'm sure they have done md5sum check. Lupu-113 and beta3 uses the same version of kernel and ALSA, so it doesn't make sense that one works and the other doesn't. I myself didn't have the problem (it works in all my machines) - makes it even harder to troubleshoot. Don't worry about the nvidia pet - it's just one kernel module compile away :D

BTW - I just run beta3 in RAM, try to use the package manager to download nvidia pet - doesn't work again. It's shown there, the "repository update" is successful, but if I click the pet in the main menu, nothing happens (ps -aef shows no wget in progress).

Jim1911 - I just tried installing the nvidia.pet directly in my Intel hardware. The installation works. I didn't get any error message. I did this by downloading the pet first ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... /pets/500/ and then clicking on it. (The pet obviously doesn't work - because I'm doing it on an Intel machine, but I just want to confirm that the installation part of it works). If there is anything you can capture (error message, screenshot, or gzip-ped copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log), that would help.

cheers!

kirk

#32 Post by kirk »

Lupu-113 and beta3 uses the same version of kernel and ALSA, so it doesn't make sense that one works and the other doesn't.

Yes, I even checked the sound section in Barry's kernel config for 2.6.33.2. I don't see any difference. Of course there's lots of other differences, x86_64 for one. Works on all my hardware as well, except for the HDMI part. I fixed the package manager so that the packages would show up in the menu, but then I never checked to see if it actually would download a package, just dumb.

DC

numlock

#33 Post by DC »

Hi
This version of numlockx works with Fatdog64 on my laptop.

I copy it to /usr/bin
usage:
numlockx on

On my 32bit desktop I used to put it in /root/.xinitrc (hidden file)
but a script in startup works fine.

included is a script for laptops and USB keyboards when connected at boot up.
copy numlockx to /usr/bin and put "laptop_numlock64" in /root/startup

DC
Attachments
numlockx.tar.gz
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

kirk

#34 Post by kirk »

I think I have fixed the package manager, there was a file missing from /root/.packages. I'll attach it. I've also uploaded some pet packages. Right now I guess we're in a holding pattern waiting for 2.6.34.
Attachments
DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS.gz
(324 Bytes) Downloaded 617 times

emil

R

#35 Post by emil »

compiling R statistic package with Fatdog and its dev package was straigthforward (./configure, make, make install). great work.

however after some simple benchmarks I see no real performance gain compared to the 32 bit version.

This is from config log:

Target: x86_64-t2-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libdir=/usr/lib64 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/info --mandir=/usr/man --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-debug --with-libpam --with-pam --enable-libpam --enable-pam --build=x86_64-t2-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-t2-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-t2-linux-gnu --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking --disable-bootstrap --disable-libstdcxx-pch --enable-multilib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-threads=posix --enable-libgcj --with-ecj-jar=/initrd/mnt/dev_save/t2/t2-trunk/download/mirror/e/ecj-4.3.jar --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java,fortran --enable-shared
Did I miss some optimisation?
kind regards
emil