Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 20:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64 beta3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 5 [62 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr 2010, 20:40    Post subject:  

No worries kirk. I have been wondering myself why sound is not working, and I thought it could be because of bad iso download. But the testers who reported that are experienced testers and I'm sure they have done md5sum check. Lupu-113 and beta3 uses the same version of kernel and ALSA, so it doesn't make sense that one works and the other doesn't. I myself didn't have the problem (it works in all my machines) - makes it even harder to troubleshoot. Don't worry about the nvidia pet - it's just one kernel module compile away Very Happy

BTW - I just run beta3 in RAM, try to use the package manager to download nvidia pet - doesn't work again. It's shown there, the "repository update" is successful, but if I click the pet in the main menu, nothing happens (ps -aef shows no wget in progress).

Jim1911 - I just tried installing the nvidia.pet directly in my Intel hardware. The installation works. I didn't get any error message. I did this by downloading the pet first ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/pets/500/ and then clicking on it. (The pet obviously doesn't work - because I'm doing it on an Intel machine, but I just want to confirm that the installation part of it works). If there is anything you can capture (error message, screenshot, or gzip-ped copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log), that would help.

cheers!

kirk

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr 2010, 21:09    Post subject:  

Quote:
Lupu-113 and beta3 uses the same version of kernel and ALSA, so it doesn't make sense that one works and the other doesn't.

Yes, I even checked the sound section in Barry's kernel config for 2.6.33.2. I don't see any difference. Of course there's lots of other differences, x86_64 for one. Works on all my hardware as well, except for the HDMI part. I fixed the package manager so that the packages would show up in the menu, but then I never checked to see if it actually would download a package, just dumb.
DC

PostPosted: Sat 01 May 2010, 02:58    Post subject: numlock  

Hi
This version of numlockx works with Fatdog64 on my laptop.

I copy it to /usr/bin
usage:
numlockx on

On my 32bit desktop I used to put it in /root/.xinitrc (hidden file)
but a script in startup works fine.

included is a script for laptops and USB keyboards when connected at boot up.
copy numlockx to /usr/bin and put "laptop_numlock64" in /root/startup

DC
numlockx.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  numlockx.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.95 KB 
Downloaded  316 Time(s) 
kirk

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2010, 08:25    Post subject:  

I think I have fixed the package manager, there was a file missing from /root/.packages. I'll attach it. I've also uploaded some pet packages. Right now I guess we're in a holding pattern waiting for 2.6.34.
DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS.gz 
Filesize  324 Bytes 
Downloaded  336 Time(s) 
emil

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2010, 08:20    Post subject: R
Subject description: compiiled R for Fatdog 64 bit

compiling R statistic package with Fatdog and its dev package was straigthforward (./configure, make, make install). great work.

however after some simple benchmarks I see no real performance gain compared to the 32 bit version.

This is from config log:

Code:
Target: x86_64-t2-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libdir=/usr/lib64 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/info --mandir=/usr/man --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-debug --with-libpam --with-pam --enable-libpam --enable-pam --build=x86_64-t2-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-t2-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-t2-linux-gnu --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking --disable-bootstrap --disable-libstdcxx-pch --enable-multilib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-threads=posix --enable-libgcj --with-ecj-jar=/initrd/mnt/dev_save/t2/t2-trunk/download/mirror/e/ecj-4.3.jar --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java,fortran --enable-shared

Did I miss some optimisation?
kind regards
emil
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2010, 22:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
Did I miss some optimisation?

Don't know. If you haven't already done so, do ./configure --help and see if there any options that might help and check the README file if there is one. Some programs aren't written to take advantage of x86_64 or SSEx. I built Alpha1's packages for both 32bit and 64bit. With the exact same packages and kernel version, HandbrakeCLI (which is very CPU intensive) is about 20% faster on 64bit.
emil

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 16:38    Post subject: Polynomial Game
Subject description: 3D Game

I testet Polynomial Game demo - it seems to work basically, but graphics stuttered on my Laptop - may be a known issue with my nvidia graphic system.
Interesting: 32 bit Binaries don't work in Puppy 431, but 64 bit Binaries seem to work in Fatdog.
Revolverve

PostPosted: Sun 16 May 2010, 22:44    Post subject: 4 gig ram  

Look like Fatdog dont like 4 gig of ram , goes well with 2... could be related with the intel gm965 integrated graphic chips or soft , had the same problem with Vista!!!!/#&?32bit (ok with 2 gig also), they freeze on desktop with garble video,both. My el cheapo Gateway t-6815 laptop boosted with an intel ES t8300 cpu (cheap too...) fly with that 64bit beast. Could there be a boot argument to had ?? Funny because every other Puppy`s is fine with 4 gig,does not see it all , example:only 3151Mb in 431 ,but run fine .

Good work!! keep it up!
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 20 May 2010, 00:58    Post subject:  

emil,

Puppy 4.3.1 libs are rather outdated, that may be the reason, while fatdog64 build is rather recent. You can try the 32-bit build on Quirky or Wary, I bet it should work as well. But thank you for pasting the link - I haven't tried it yet but from the site it looks rather interesting Smile

Revolverve,
That's odd. The primary purpose of 64-bit OS is to be able to use more than 2 GB of RAM, it should not choke when your machine has 4GB of RAM or more - in fact it should be happier! I have 3 different machines with 4GB of RAM, and they all successfully run Fatdog w/o problem. Graphics could be the problem ... Fatdog uses the new KMS graphics, and unfortunately it doesn't work well with some cards, and it will disable the text console while it's booting. Wait for a new version soon which will give the text console back, and then we can trace your issue from there.

Fishy

PostPosted: Thu 20 May 2010, 19:39    Post subject: Boot Issue  

I just unleashed my dual core AMD processor and now have a functioning 4 core cpu. Lucid puppy seems to run much faster so I thought that I would give Fatdog a try. Very Happy

Loading proceeds normally (I think) but ends after vmlinux says ready with the cursor blinking on the line above. Nothing but a hard reboot works Crying or Very sad .

Downloaded twice, md5sum both checked okay.

Asus M4A78T-E motheboard, AMD Phenom II processor, ISO checked in both two and four core configuration.
Furanshisuko

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 21:48    Post subject: Testing Fatdog64-500rc2  

Hello to all!

My friend and I use a computer to edit video for work. Now we have that computer running Windows XP Pro 32 bits and Adobe Premier CS4.

I Think that a 64 bits architecture may work faster to encode-decode video, and save time to improve our bussiness; but because I`ve been using puppy with my notebook since several months, I hate the idea of updating to a more bloated software.

So I decided to give it a try and right now, I`m writing from Fatdog64-500rc2.

Here are some issues I have:

- The Net-wizard fails to setup dhcp ip, and Pwireless too.
Casually I had a very basic script to conect from terminal and made possible for me to conect to internet.

- I Haven`t found a CPU Frequency Scaling Tool.

- Kino has been very alien for me and my friend, a tool with a time line and layers like OpenShot would be better (also it has different features), is it posible to get a PET Package of it for 64 bits?

- How do I make a DVD with chapters from different videos?

kirk

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 00:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
- The Net-wizard fails to setup dhcp ip, and Pwireless too.
Casually I had a very basic script to conect from terminal and made possible for me to conect to internet.

Do you know what chipset your wifi card uses? Did you use iwconfig to connect?

Quote:

There's not one. Intel and AMD make special laptop CPUs for a reason Smile .

Quote:
- Kino has been very alien for me and my friend, a tool with a time line and layers like OpenShot would be better (also it has different features), is it posible to get a PET Package of it for 64 bits?

- How do I make a DVD with chapters from different videos?

I've did very little video editing. Someone asked about Openshot a while back. I think it had a lot of dependencies, python for one. Python is in the devx file if someone would like to try.

Final is coming soon!
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 00:27    Post subject:  Using Fatdog64 beta3 and liking it a lot  

Hi kirk,

I have been using Fatdog64-500 beta3 for about a week now, on an AMD64 x2 6000+. What a treat!

Also tried it on a new Phenom II quad-core, also impressive. Hardinfo sees all 4 cores.

FPU Raytracing score on both is around 9. A little faster on the x2, probably because this machine has two sticks of DDR2 ram, the Phenom machine only 1.

It has no problem selecting the Radeon driver on an ATi 4550 card.

This bids fair to become my regular OS on my regular machine~

Cheers,
SHS
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 08:57    Post subject:  

Quote:

Actually, I observe that all the modules required for cpu scaling is there. All you need is the GUI - and there is one. You can try this one http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45143 - remember YMMV - I haven't tested it myself. If you do test it, let us now whether it works Smile

Compiling OpenShot is a big project, I have the same itch but I can't pull myself doing it yet :p

Furanshisuko

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun 2010, 02:57    Post subject:  

That gui for the frequency scaling tool gave me this error:

Quote:
Fail - Module powernow-k8 is not compatible
Please try another module

Of course that I`ve tryed other modules too, but that module was the one when working with other puppy versions..

BTW my pc for testing is an Acer Aspire 5050, which has an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter.

This is my little script to connect:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "linksys"
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
dhcpcd -nd wlan0

Thanx for the help, this is a great proyect, and is perfect for some heavy video editing. Maybe we can ask to the person who built the PET package of Openshot for 32 bits.

Page 3 of 5 [62 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: