Lucid Puppy 113 Bugs, Fixes, and Poll

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Which describes your experience with Lucid Puppy graphics?

Poll ended at Fri 30 Apr 2010, 20:49

I am using the automatic desktop
67%
I am using the desktop created by xorgwizard
33%
I can't get a usable desktop
No votes

Total votes: 21

playdayz

Lucid Puppy 113 Bugs, Fixes, and Poll

#1 Post by playdayz »

Please report bugs and fixes beginning with Lucid Puppy 113.

One very important thing is programs that crash and can lose data.

Please also take the graphics poll if you would not mind. Thank you.

gerry

#2 Post by gerry »

I'm using automatic desktop on Acer Aspire One.

gerry

James C

#3 Post by James C »

Frugal install of 113 on my P3 with onboard Intel graphics....had to use xorgwizard.
Will test on some different hardware later...... :)

Magruder

#4 Post by Magruder »

Fresh frugal install of 113.

Browser installation works!

Firefox browser appears to be solid, no crashes! I'll install Iron and Opera also and check them out.

By the way, Playdayz, nice work on all this. (And I'm not saying that just because my problems are fixed.) Thanks for all your efforts!

pa_mcclamrock

#5 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Most of my comments on Lucid Puppy 113 are here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=435 . The font display problem I'm seeing is shown in these two screenshots. In the top one, from Puppy 4.3.1, the custom font (Pilgrim) is displayed correctly. In the bottom one, from Lucid Puppy 113, if you look closely, you can see missing pixels in letters such as M, r, D, m, P, and N.

And now for something really bizarre. With Sylpheed 2.7.1 in Puppy 4.3.1, I can send and receive e-mail fine using my pa-mcclamrock.com address. With Sylpheed 2.7.1 in Lucid Puppy 113, I can send, but not receive, even though I've triple-checked and the settings are identical. When I try to receive mail from that address, I get an error message saying authentication failed. That doesn't happen with my other address when I use Sylpheed 2.7.1 in Lucid Puppy. Can anyone here imagine what the problem might be?

(Update 2010 Apr 28: I can, now. :oops: :oops: :oops: The User ID entry box wasn't as wide as my user ID itself. In the hidden part, there was a typo: instead of "pa-mcclamrock.com," it said "pa-mcclamrock-com." Memo to self: hyphens aren't dots, and always make entry boxes really wide when you write programs!)
Attachments
menu431.jpg
(58.1 KiB) Downloaded 1360 times
lupu113menu.jpg
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 1316 times
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Thu 29 Apr 2010, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

reckrhodes

#6 Post by reckrhodes »

Testing... This puppy when boots, goes straight away to the desktop which is a good feature. I like this.

When i clicked on the play icon at the desktop, it appears but closes in an instant. I don't know how to fix it. I am so sorry.

Other than that, this puppy will attract new users in its final release. Good luck everyone. Please consider my request. Hope "quickpet feature" will include programs/pets/sfs for children such as gcompris(educational). Thanks in advance.

Stay healthy everyone. :D

Jim1911

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

Automatic desktop setup worked perfectly.

Problems noted so far that still aren't corrected:

1. No application tried will print to CUPS-PDF (Abiword, Gnumeric, and OpenOffice-3.2)

2. Drive icons still get mixed up

3. Pmount closes when any button is pushed EDIT: 01micko found the problem, don't know if there is a solution other than manual reset post here.

Sorry that I haven't found more, :( just kidding, :D :D :D :D :D kudos for a fine job.

Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 28 Apr 2010, 14:22, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#8 Post by James C »

Jim1911 wrote:
3. Pmount closes when any button is pushed
FWIW, Pmount is working fine here on my frugal install.

invisible man

One hours use.

#9 Post by invisible man »

113, Not connecting to the internet, using Desktop Icon and network wizard, it did 007, 008. Had problems intermittently, in 009, but didn't use very much. I had to go to the menu, and Pwireless to connect 113. Opera browser slow, and choppy but works with patience, Puppy browser seems fine. My mouse must be a little sensitive, but twice, while dragging across the Play icon on desktop, (on route to the browser icon) the Gxine window opened, mouse arrow, froze in window; as well as the keyboard not responding, Cntrl, alt , delete wouldn't kill. Had to power off. Found the new shutdown manager file, came up on restart. The first time it happened it also crashed X. I haven't had any problems with X before. Restarted, and rebooted. Will try more in the next couple of days. Don't get frustrated, other distro's have multitudes of glitches, and are running off schedule, relax, and enjoy a little too. Invisible Man

invisible man

Re: One hours use.

#10 Post by invisible man »

invisible man wrote:113, Not connecting to the internet, using Desktop Icon and network wizard, it did 007, 008. Had problems intermittently, in 009, but didn't use very much. I had to go to the menu, and Pwireless to connect 113. Opera browser slow, and choppy but works with patience, Puppy browser seems fine. My mouse must be a little sensitive, but twice, while dragging across the Play icon on desktop, (on route to the browser icon) the Gxine window opened, mouse arrow, froze in window; as well as the keyboard not responding, Cntrl, alt , delete wouldn't kill. Had to power off. Found the new shutdown manager file, came up on restart. The first time it happened it also crashed X. I haven't had any problems with X before. Restarted, and rebooted. I have to restart P- wireless, on each reboot. Will try more in the next couple of days. Don't get frustrated, other distro's have multitudes of glitches, and are running off schedule, relax, and enjoy a little too. Invisible Man

Jim1911

#11 Post by Jim1911 »

James C wrote:FWIW, Pmount is working fine here on my frugal install.
Did you mount the drives using the drive icon or by pressing the mount button?

On my system, clicking on a drive icon will mount the drive, however, pressing the mount button in pmount just closes pmount. What I was trying to do is remove the drive icons from the desktop and use pmount, which is not possible with pmount not working properly. All is does is show which drives are mounted which is all your desktop picture shows.

James C

#12 Post by James C »

Jim1911 wrote:
James C wrote:FWIW, Pmount is working fine here on my frugal install.
Did you mount the drives using the drive icon or by pressing the mount button?

On my system, clicking on a drive icon will mount the drive, however, pressing the mount button in pmount just closes pmount. What I was trying to do is remove the drive icons from the desktop and just use pmount which is not possible with pmount not working properly. All is does is show which drives are mounted which is all your picture shows.
No problem, I mounted and unmounted the partitions by clicking the buttons in Pmount.Haven't had any problems there.

Just mounted and unmounted sda5 with Pmount as I'm posting.....working correctly here. :)

Edit: just read 01micko's post....haven't tried it with icons removed.Would have been nice to have known that when I first posted. :)
Last edited by James C on Wed 28 Apr 2010, 03:25, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

Jim,

I see what you mean, if I remove the drive icons and run Pmount from the desktop Icon, as soon as I click "Mount" or "Unmount" Pmount just closes.

Will investigate.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#14 Post by 01micko »

Ok, Jim,

I think I found the Pmount issue. The default "Locale" is set to "C", a warning occurs when you run from a command.

In previous Lupu' I have always set my locale to "EN-AU", always have, even when running pfix=ram, never once forgot, even as just a test pfix=ram, don't know why I bother! :roll: :lol: (probably because I may even decide to save :wink: )

Anyway, now there is not that option at first run and "C" locale was default. Try setting your locale to "EN-US" (you might be led to believe it is default, click it anyway, I'm not so sure if it is default) and see if it fixes it, it might, and if so then we have narrowed it down for sure :) .
Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#15 Post by James C »

I just went to /desktop/desktop settings/desktop drive icon manager and unticked the checkboxes and restarted X which removed my drive icons.......except one generic drive icon to launch Pmount.Pmount still works.

I deleted that icon from the desktop and Pmount still works.Don't know what the differences are in the setups, but its working correctly here with or without the icons.Since I had to use xorgwizard during setup, the locale thing sounds like a likely culprit. :)

Keef

Touchpad

#16 Post by Keef »

On my laptop with a Synaptics touch pad, it is extremely sensitive - sometimes just passing over an icon will bring up multiple windows (about 10 or so). Very difficult to use like this.
As mentioned by someone else - takes a few tries to get a keyboard change.
And that *%$@ setup dialog keeps reappearing after re-starting X!
(I love it really, honest)
Is it correct that ndiswrapper is borked with this kernel? If so and if it can't be fixed, perhaps a message could be added to the network wizard or somewhere to explain this.
Will try on the desktop PC later - last version did not select the correct resolution on boot, and had a few problems already reported, so probably they've been fixed.

mavrothal

#17 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:
you please also include /etx/X11/xkb/compat/olpc and /etx/X11/xkb/symbols/olpc in xkeyboard-config.
I got them in the upcoming 113. Please let me know. Thanks.
Though the quote is from the 008 thread I guess is going here.

Geode 2.11.8 with Xserver 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu2, works fine :D
Automatic desktop works fine as well as Xorgwizard, now supporting multiple screen resolutions :!:
OLPC keyboard is not auto detected. I guess I'll have to play with xorg.conf a bit.
Is autodesktop writing the configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or elsewhere? (the conf file looks pretty empty :?: )

BTW some files related to the compat/olpc introduction appear to have the wrong permissions. Is not a problem but keep it in mind on the next version.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stu90

#18 Post by stu90 »

Using desktop set up through xorgwizard. Quickpet works good. Think this is a know bug full screen youtube in chromeium is stuttering.

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Ok, Jim,

I think I found the Pmount issue. The default "Locale" is set to "C", a warning occurs when you run from a command.

In previous Lupu' I have always set my locale to "EN-AU", always have, even when running pfix=ram, never once forgot, even as just a test pfix=ram, don't know why I bother! :roll: :lol: (probably because I may even decide to save :wink: )

Anyway, now there is not that option at first run and "C" locale was default. Try setting your locale to "EN-US" (you might be led to believe it is default, click it anyway, I'm not so sure if it is default) and see if it fixes it, it might, and if so then we have narrowed it down for sure :) .
Cheers
Good catch, although my locale was set to EN-US, resetting it, corrected the problem with pmount. Weird.
Thanks,
Jim

aarf

#20 Post by aarf »

bug fix success. quickpet installs pwidgets in lupu113 sorry posted in wrong thread.