Lucid Puppy 113 Bugs, Fixes, and Poll

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Which describes your experience with Lucid Puppy graphics?

Poll ended at Fri 30 Apr 2010, 20:49

I am using the automatic desktop
67%
I am using the desktop created by xorgwizard
33%
I can't get a usable desktop
No votes

Total votes: 21

Keef

Touchpad

#16 Post by Keef »

On my laptop with a Synaptics touch pad, it is extremely sensitive - sometimes just passing over an icon will bring up multiple windows (about 10 or so). Very difficult to use like this.
As mentioned by someone else - takes a few tries to get a keyboard change.
And that *%$@ setup dialog keeps reappearing after re-starting X!
(I love it really, honest)
Is it correct that ndiswrapper is borked with this kernel? If so and if it can't be fixed, perhaps a message could be added to the network wizard or somewhere to explain this.
Will try on the desktop PC later - last version did not select the correct resolution on boot, and had a few problems already reported, so probably they've been fixed.

mavrothal

#17 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:
you please also include /etx/X11/xkb/compat/olpc and /etx/X11/xkb/symbols/olpc in xkeyboard-config.
I got them in the upcoming 113. Please let me know. Thanks.
Though the quote is from the 008 thread I guess is going here.

Geode 2.11.8 with Xserver 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu2, works fine :D
Automatic desktop works fine as well as Xorgwizard, now supporting multiple screen resolutions :!:
OLPC keyboard is not auto detected. I guess I'll have to play with xorg.conf a bit.
Is autodesktop writing the configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or elsewhere? (the conf file looks pretty empty :?: )

BTW some files related to the compat/olpc introduction appear to have the wrong permissions. Is not a problem but keep it in mind on the next version.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stu90

#18 Post by stu90 »

Using desktop set up through xorgwizard. Quickpet works good. Think this is a know bug full screen youtube in chromeium is stuttering.

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Ok, Jim,

I think I found the Pmount issue. The default "Locale" is set to "C", a warning occurs when you run from a command.

In previous Lupu' I have always set my locale to "EN-AU", always have, even when running pfix=ram, never once forgot, even as just a test pfix=ram, don't know why I bother! :roll: :lol: (probably because I may even decide to save :wink: )

Anyway, now there is not that option at first run and "C" locale was default. Try setting your locale to "EN-US" (you might be led to believe it is default, click it anyway, I'm not so sure if it is default) and see if it fixes it, it might, and if so then we have narrowed it down for sure :) .
Cheers
Good catch, although my locale was set to EN-US, resetting it, corrected the problem with pmount. Weird.
Thanks,
Jim

aarf

#20 Post by aarf »

bug fix success. quickpet installs pwidgets in lupu113 sorry posted in wrong thread.

Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

Although, I haven’t used this Gparted to do any operations, I did try to locate information about my partitions. Partitions are identified accurately, however, as the desktop photo shows, some key information about partitions is not present in particular the UUID which must be used in the menu.lst with some pups and is primarily used by major distros.

Sorry, don’t trust this one.
JIm

stu90

#22 Post by stu90 »

Just noticed no volume icon/control in jwm-tray copied absvolume to .bin from 112 solved it.

Magruder

#23 Post by Magruder »

I didn't experience any Firefox crashes on 113, until I downloaded Opera. Firefox crashes if Opera is also running. Opera occasionally makes the system hang -- and Iron (Chromium) frequenetly makes the system hang.

This version has difficulty remembering the correct time. I have reset it several times.

8-bit

#24 Post by 8-bit »

Copying absvolume from lulpu-112 did not work for me. I still had no tray volume icon (seemed hidden as mouse over area where it should be showed a volume setting. So I clicked on that bank area and a volume bar came up. But I was still unable to change volume with it and had to use zmixer.

chrismt

#25 Post by chrismt »

I cannot connect to the Internet.

I am having to rerun the Network wizard every time I reboot my computer.

I am using the Wirelss LAN setup

It seems the Network default setting saved is not starting on reboot

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

as for volume, absvolume has been unstable since the switch to 2.6.30.5 in Puppy-430. Let's go with Retrovol http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50744

that timezone bug is funny, I ran "timezone-set" out side of X and my timezone is saved now... I can't work out why, especially since it threw an error... :? :? :?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pa_mcclamrock

#27 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

01micko wrote:that timezone bug is funny, I ran "timezone-set" out side of X and my timezone is saved now... I can't work out why, especially since it threw an error... :? :? :?
What puzzles me is why this and other bugs that don't exist in Puppy 4.3.1, such as drive icon misalignment, are now popping up in the Lucid Puppy pre-releases. Why not just re-use the identical code from 4.3.1 that makes these things work right? :roll:
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

What puzzles me is why this and other bugs that don't exist in Puppy 4.3.1, such as drive icon misalignment, are now popping up in the Lucid Puppy pre-releases. Why not just re-use the identical code from 4.3.1 that makes these things work right?
Easier said than done. Using the Ubuntu binaries seems the issue, but in saying that, new ground is being broken here. With exploration there are always obstacles. We will find and conquer! (After all, they are only bugs :wink: )

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

aarf

#29 Post by aarf »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
01micko wrote:that timezone bug is funny, I ran "timezone-set" out side of X and my timezone is saved now... I can't work out why, especially since it threw an error... :? :? :?
What puzzles me is why this and other bugs that don't exist in Puppy 4.3.1, such as drive icon misalignment, are now popping up in the Lucid Puppy pre-releases. Why not just re-use the identical code from 4.3.1 that makes these things work right? :roll:
playdayz has rolled something back

stu90

#30 Post by stu90 »

01micko wrote:as for volume, absvolume has been unstable since the switch to 2.6.30.5 in Puppy-430. Let's go with Retrovol http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50744

that timezone bug is funny, I ran "timezone-set" out side of X and my timezone is saved now... I can't work out why, especially since it threw an error... :? :? :?
Just installed retrovol to test works ok for me apart from:

Editing .xinitrc per Pizzasgood instructions results in retrovol dialogue box with the volume mixers pops up on boot/restart.

leaving absvolume entry in .xinitrc results in no dialogue box popup but the retrovol icon back ground in tray doesn't match jwm theme.

ecube

#31 Post by ecube »

pa_mcclamrock wrote: What puzzles me is why this and other bugs that don't exist in Puppy 4.3.1, such as drive icon misalignment, are now popping up in the Lucid Puppy pre-releases. Why not just re-use the identical code from 4.3.1 that makes these things work right?
You can realign the icons manually. I assume that only some event controlled activations are missing.

:)
ecube
Attachments
lupu113.jpg
Event Manager
(50.64 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Drive icons.

#32 Post by Béèm »

I had the drive icons overlapping and even worse at a subsequent boot.
I had to use the redraw function to get the icons properly aligned.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Simpel Network Setup

#33 Post by Béèm »

I reported already earlier.
I have a long list of routers. Normally I drag the list with ALT and left mouse button, but this doesn't work.
I have the same drag problem when I display a pdf file.
Time savers:

Béèm

Printen to cups-pdf

#34 Post by Béèm »

Altho all seems ok, no pdf file is created.
I tried when printing from my e-mail (wine) application and from a text file in geany.

However when printing from text in geany I get the opton print to file which works, not in my e-mail (wine) client.

EDIT
This solves the problem.
Time savers:

pa_mcclamrock

#35 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

ecube wrote:You can realign the icons manually. I assume that only some event controlled activations are missing.
Correct. To me, a staunch Puppy user for years now, realigning the icons manually is a minor inconvenience. To at least some newer users, I think, it would be a sign that the Puppy developers might not know how to get things done right. But of course it won't really, since the problem will be solved before the final release of Puppy 5! :D
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds