Quirky 021 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

Jim1911 wrote:Tested your commercial Nvidia 195.36.15 Xorg driver in lupu-113 and quirky-021. In both it appeared to install but the configuration program is not available so don't know whether it's working or not.
When you install the Nvidia PET, a message pops up telling you to restart X. It should "just work".

However, it seems that you need the "legacy" Nvidia driver, see CatDude's post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54886
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Jim1911

#17 Post by Jim1911 »

Barry wrote:However, it seems that you need the "legacy" Nvidia driver, see CatDude's post:
I did restartX and the system has also been rebooted. My BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB works fine with the Nvidia 195 driver compiled by gray using pup-431 and LH-443 and can utilize the features of that driver. Also that driver is used with Ubuntu. I have already tested Catdude's Nvidia 173 driver which works fine on my system with wary-020, it does not work on quirky-021 or lupu-113.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

Oh, yes, looking here, clicking "Supported products" tab, it seems your video is supported by my PET package:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... 36.15.html

JustGreg

#19 Post by JustGreg »

The nvidia driver pet installed without a problem. Using nvidia-settings tool reported a segmentation fault. I have the proper resolution. Here is the report-video output.

Code: Select all

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 021

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP79 Board - hornet-0 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: 1360x768  Depth: 16
Quirky 020 looks good.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

OverDrive

#20 Post by OverDrive »

Just like 18, Everything checked/tested good out of the box. BTW, What did you do to the B43 driver? It works faster than everyone else's!

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: 1280x800 Depth: 24

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

I don't want to overload you guys with Quirkies to test! But, here is one just for those with Nvidia hardware, live-CD with Nvidia driver included:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01549

Billtoo

#22 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="BarryK"]I don't want to overload you guys with Quirkies to test! But, here is one just for those with Nvidia hardware,

Downloaded 022,burned disk,and booted with pfix=ram.

Tried probe and chose proper resolution but got mouse pointer on a black screen.
CTL-ALT-BACK to get to the prompt and ran xorgwizard again.This time I tried choose and chose nvidia,it worked.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 022

Chip description:
07:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

Testing your q22 now. Behave like q21

no jerky or choppy or delay. Omelette takes 5 sec.

I guess I want the GL so I stick with q21. I have ditched Q13 now in favor of Q21

# report-video

Chip description:
product: G98 Board - 5610001u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 16 Depth: "Display"

#

I got radio going now. Nolt sure why if failed when I posted it. Maybe the server was overloaded at the local radio station but norway failed too.
Last edited by nooby on Mon 03 May 2010, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

mavrothal

geode-driver

#24 Post by mavrothal »

The geode 2.11.7 of the build has the "no desktop icons bug".
The newer 2.11.8 version solves this issue.
Lucid puppy has it and works fine.
Pls include in an upcoming quirky version if you can.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jim1911

#25 Post by Jim1911 »

BarryK wrote:I don't want to overload you guys with Quirkies to test! But, here is one just for those with Nvidia hardware, live-CD with Nvidia driver included:
Ran 3 different tests in ram.
1. Used "Probe", the "nv" driver was installed and worked fine.
2. Used "Choose", chose the "nvidia" driver which was installed and ran fine.
3. Installed the nvidia-195.36.15 pet which appeared to install and reported a correct installation, however "report-video" in a console indicates that the "nvidia" driver is installed. No menu item for the NVIDIA X-server settings was installed either.

I mistakenly reported using gray's nvidia-195, however it is 185.18.36. The attached LH desktop picture shows the GUI for the NVIDIA X-server settings that gray's pet installs.

broomdodger

nvidia - Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook

#26 Post by broomdodger »

""-----=-------=-------=-------=-------=-------=-------=-------=
Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook
Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForceFX5200

quirky021 frugal

<probe>

Chip description:
product: NV34 Board - p135nz Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: 1024x768 Depth: 24

quirky022 frugal

<probe>
# report-video

Chip description:

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:

quirky022 frugal

<choose> nvidia
# report-video

Chip description:

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:

broomdodger

quirky021 - SeaMonkey 1.1.8 - save

#27 Post by broomdodger »

quirky021 frugal
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20091216 SeaMonkey/1.1.18

+ try to download by clicking on the paper clip or the word "Download"
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=232
JustGreg's grub4dos_htm.zip
+ the "Save it to disk" dialog will not go away
+ I can move that dialog to show the underlying save dialog
+ then continue the save

+ using right-click (contextual menu) works no problem

Only seems Gecko has changed between quirky021 and puppy431

puppy431 frugal
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090910 SeaMonkey/1.1.18

No problem with clicking the paper clip or Download.

broomdodger

quirky021 - blinky on the blink

#28 Post by broomdodger »

Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

quirky021 frugal
PowerOn blinky is in the dock, eth0 is ok
Restart blinky is finicky, sometimes yes, most times no and Connect does not see eth0. PowerOff then PowerOn and eth0 is ok

puppy431 frugal
PowerOn blinky is in the dock, eth0 is ok
Restart blinky is in the dock, eth0 is ok

broomdodger

quirky021 - trackpad setup - wonderful

#29 Post by broomdodger »

quirky021 frugal

trackpad defaults are great (no need to configure)
+ two finger scrolling on
+ tap turned off

alec78

Quirky021 - SamsungX05 - i810 Driver

#30 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
@BarryK
Barry, there is still something amiss with xorgwizard.
You may not remember but in the Q013 thread I reported that after following your instructions,dated 31/3/10, the X05 would run with the Intel i810 driver.
In the Quirky 018 thread I reported that no matter what I did xorgwizard would revert to the vesa driver.
Again in Quirky 021 xorgwizard reverts to the vesa driver. This time it does remove the intel driver from /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers and inserts the i810 driver, but it applies the vesa driver.
I tried changing vesa to i810 in xorg.conf, but that did not work. Had to run xorgwizard to get graphics.
Any suggestions?
Cheers

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: quirky021 - SeaMonkey 1.1.8 - save

#31 Post by BarryK »

broomdodger wrote:quirky021 frugal
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20091216 SeaMonkey/1.1.18

+ try to download by clicking on the paper clip or the word "Download"
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=232
JustGreg's grub4dos_htm.zip
+ the "Save it to disk" dialog will not go away
+ I can move that dialog to show the underlying save dialog
+ then continue the save

+ using right-click (contextual menu) works no problem

Only seems Gecko has changed between quirky021 and puppy431

puppy431 frugal
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090910 SeaMonkey/1.1.18

No problem with clicking the paper clip or Download.
There is a problem with SeaMonkey 1.1.18 and Openbox window manager. Surprising that it has this bug, considering that Openbox is supposed to be a very mature product.

You don't really have to drag the save-as dialog away, just click on the underlying destination-chooser dialog -- notice that it's header is flashing -- must be Openbox's way of letting you know that this dialog should be on top but isn't.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky021 - SamsungX05 - i810 Driver

#32 Post by BarryK »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,
@BarryK
Barry, there is still something amiss with xorgwizard.
You may not remember but in the Q013 thread I reported that after following your instructions,dated 31/3/10, the X05 would run with the Intel i810 driver.
In the Quirky 018 thread I reported that no matter what I did xorgwizard would revert to the vesa driver.
Again in Quirky 021 xorgwizard reverts to the vesa driver. This time it does remove the intel driver from /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers and inserts the i810 driver, but it applies the vesa driver.
I tried changing vesa to i810 in xorg.conf, but that did not work. Had to run xorgwizard to get graphics.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Looks like you will have to manually remove /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so.

Hmmm, that might not work. The Xorg probe only chooses vesa as a last resort, so it is thinking that i810 is not suitable. So, I don't know if removing vesa will force it to choose i810.

JustGreg

#33 Post by JustGreg »

The system is Acer Aspire Revo, about 1 Gigabyte memory and Nvidia Ion video. Quirky 022 first tried the nv driver and failed due to the Ion video not being found. Second try, fresh without a save file, I pick the Nvidia 195.26.15 driver (just nvidia in list). It worked with out a problem. I am posting this using Quirky 022.

I want the nvidia-settings tool. So, I expanded only the nvidia-195.36.15-pkg1.run file. I copy the nvidia-settings file to /root/my-applications/bin and try running it. The tool started and worked. I got this error message:

ERROR: libGL setup error : libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such  file or directory
I copied to /root/my-applications/lib the file, libGL.so.195.136.15 and create link libGL.so.195.1 to it.. Ran the nvidia-settings tool again. It worked with this error message:

ERROR: libGL setup error : libGLcore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I copied to /root/my-applications/lib the file, libGL.core.so.195.36.15 and link to it, libGL.core.so.1. Ran the nvidia-settings tool and got this error:

ERROR: libGL setup error : libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I did the same for the file, libnvidia.tls.so.195.36.15 and linked it to libnvidia.tls.so.1. This time when I tried to run the nvidia-settings tool, it failed to run with a segmentation fault. Eliminating the link, allowed nvidia-settings tool to run with a minor non-fatal error. If you get the segmentation error with the nvidia-settings tool, then look for libnvidia.tls.so.1 file and rename or delete it.

The nvidia-settings tool and the first two libraries require about 25 Megabytes of storage. The nvidia-settings tool by itself requires 1511 Kbytes of storage. I do not know for sure if the two libraries are really needed.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Hesse James

#34 Post by Hesse James »

Hi Barry
Finally many thanks from my side for the 022. It was the first time ever I have seen a Puplet initially starting with 1900x1050x24 on my TV with a fully working Nvidia-driver.
The next will be the installation of some Lirc, Sat and other drivers which seem to be a little bumpy as I have quickly tested that this morning. I will see.
Many thanks again and good luck for the release.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#35 Post by BarryK »

JustGreg wrote:The system is Acer Aspire Revo, about 1 Gigabyte memory and Nvidia Ion video. Quirky 022 first tried the nv driver and failed due to the Ion video not being found. Second try, fresh without a save file, I pick the Nvidia 195.26.15 driver (just nvidia in list). It worked with out a problem. I am posting this using Quirky 022.

I want the nvidia-settings tool. So, I expanded only the nvidia-195.36.15-pkg1.run file. I copy the nvidia-settings file to /root/my-applications/bin and try running it. The tool started and worked. I got this error message:

ERROR: libGL setup error : libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such  file or directory
I copied to /root/my-applications/lib the file, libGL.so.195.136.15 and create link libGL.so.195.1 to it.. Ran the nvidia-settings tool again. It worked with this error message:

ERROR: libGL setup error : libGLcore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I copied to /root/my-applications/lib the file, libGL.core.so.195.36.15 and link to it, libGL.core.so.1. Ran the nvidia-settings tool and got this error:

ERROR: libGL setup error : libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I did the same for the file, libnvidia.tls.so.195.36.15 and linked it to libnvidia.tls.so.1. This time when I tried to run the nvidia-settings tool, it failed to run with a segmentation fault. Eliminating the link, allowed nvidia-settings tool to run with a minor non-fatal error. If you get the segmentation error with the nvidia-settings tool, then look for libnvidia.tls.so.1 file and rename or delete it.

The nvidia-settings tool and the first two libraries require about 25 Megabytes of storage. The nvidia-settings tool by itself requires 1511 Kbytes of storage. I do not know for sure if the two libraries are really needed.

I hope this helps.
I don't understand what you have done exactly. If you are using Q022, it has the cutdown Nvidia. Ok, to get nvidia-settings and all the extra libraries, you need my full Nvidia PET package.

I have recently improved that package, and uploaded it a few minutes ago. Get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 2-1-q1.pet

...install that, you should get an entry for nvidia-settings in the Setup menu. The settings won't be remembered between boots -- see my recent blog post -- fixed in next Quirky.